On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@jsinclair: ouch! What happened?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@jsinclair

Was that a rim failure? Stans Alpha 340? If so I had a similar problem three weeks ago: the rear rim failed at the nipples, I had to have it replaced with their slightly heavier (10-20g?) version 2.0 of the same rim. The front rim seems to be just fine though.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Dalai

by Dalai

HammerTime2 wrote:Image
which is
P. 2 of the Palo Alto Bicycles 1980-81 catalog wrote:Front Cover of Jobst Brandt
South Side of Gavia Pass, Italy

Finally got around to updating day two of my rides around Bormio including pictures of the old cliff road on the Ponte di Legno side of the Gavia.

I didn't get the exact match of the above photo as it was sleeting at the time. Plus I still had to drive back to Milan that evening but will be the same section of road that the photo was taken...

Was now quite washed out with large stones and in places where the railing was missing it had been replaced with string. I persisted riding till about half way where I got thrown left towards to twine, so though it wiser to walk the rest!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Thanks Dalai. That looks rather hairy.

Is it s sheer drop down a long way? If you go through or over the guard rail, is that "all she wrote"? Do you have an idea on the gradient along the road?

Dalai

by Dalai

There was a memorial for an army truck that went over the edge killing all the occupants - so high enough!

A few more shots that may give some idea.

Couldn't tell you the gradient. It was the surface and not the gradient though that made progress difficult...

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Oh it's not that bad. It's bad if you are in a truck though.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Zitter

by Zitter

5 miles into my ride today and this happens...

no idea how, had to call my buddy to get me =/

brand new tire too

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Dalai wrote:Image
This section actually looks eminently survivable if you go off the road.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

prendrefeu wrote:@jsinclair

Was that a rim failure? Stans Alpha 340? If so I had a similar problem three weeks ago: the rear rim failed at the nipples, I had to have it replaced with their slightly heavier (10-20g?) version 2.0 of the same rim. The front rim seems to be just fine though.

Taken out by a car on my way to work. Not a scratch on me, but as you can see the bike has seen better days. I'm hoping its only the wheel and RD that need replacing because I'm quite fond of that frame. Driver had no insurance.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

HammerTime2 wrote:
Dalai wrote:Image
This section actually looks eminently survivable if you go off the road.

Looks like someone already went off it by the looks of that broken railing.
Can you calculate the gradient from that picture?
Then we can come up with some kind of percentage of survival based on gradient, ground composition, wind speed, wind direction, temperature and time of day.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Ha,ha, I have no reference to establish the gradient. With some additional information superimposed on the picture, then perhaps.

Dalai

by Dalai

The climbbybike profile lists the tunnel section as 9%. Since this road I assume meanders more than the tunnel (didn't go through the tunnel but I expect it to be straighter) it will be less than that.

May not be too bad in the photo looking uphill to the end of the tunnel. But further down it is a good drop. The flag pole at the far corner in the photo below I'd guess was at least 4m high...

The smoothest section of the road was next to the railing so was hugging that...

Dalai

by Dalai

Finally found a few minutes spare to update the second days ride around Bormio. Decided to tackle the Mortirolo - Gavia loop in what were not the nicest conditions with rain for most of the morning; though the forecast snow was only sleet on the Gavia...

Photos don't really display how nasty the Mortirolo is, nor does the overall average - 12.4 km 10.5%. The middle 6km is where the real action is with the easiest 500m section average is 10.8%. The rest range from 11.2% through to 14.2%

Fence made with an assortment of ironmongery

Near the top of the Mortirolo

On to the Gavia - sun even made an appearance

Road morphed part way up from a wide two lane road to a single lane with two signed sections at 14% and 16%

Above the treeline

Lago Nero near the top

Looking back up the Bormio side

Deus

by Deus

Snuck out for a cheeky 28.5 mile ride. Still windy but warm! The flooded roads made it entertaining in parts too!!

Ride not as epic as Dalai's ride! But still very enjoyable non the less!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230500302

Deus

by Deus

tinchy wrote:Nice shots...but that saddle angle!

:noidea: Wassup wiv it? Its how I find it comfy innit! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com