On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rush

by Rush

HammerTime2 wrote:How cold is cold?

About 4-6 degrees once you were in the mountains. I only had on a long-sleeve jersey and a sleeveless jacket. Next time I'll wear a thermal. Once the jersey soaks with sweat it can become a bit chilly. Oh and I'll wear woolen socks next time. Even with booties I got cold feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmilliron

by jmilliron

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Dalai

by Dalai

Never Northern Europe winter cold HammerTime2, 8) Mt Dandenong where the picture was taken (hill offering a good mix of 5- 7km climbs ~30km East of Melbourne) does get a very light dusting of snow once every couple of years...

basilic

by basilic

wingguy wrote:Basilic, how late in the season do those roads tend to stay open?

I'm going to be around Grindelwald for the first two weeks of october and I'm wondering whether it'll be worth taking the bike over - been looking at Grosse Scheidegg, Grimsel, Susten etc...

The roads should be open, but you never know with snow at that time of year. The web site of the TCS has up to date info on mtn passes (you click on "cols")
http://www.tcs.ch/fr/auto-mobilite/inforoute/situation-actuelle.php

The postal bus schedule over the passes is good up to October 7, so they seem to count on passes being open at least till then.

Off season riding is great - better light, less traffic, etc. Even if a col is closed (say snow at 2000m) why not ride the empty road as far as you can and turn around. If the mountains are in the clouds, just ride at lower elevations, around the lakes of Thun and Brienz, up the Lauterbrunnen valley, etc. Get a regional cycling map (blue/red cover, "la suisse à vélo"), they show the best roads for cyclists. Bring a windbreaker, gloves, hat, booties for the descents. If you run into really bad weather take the train back, they have hooks for bikes (buy a ticket for the bike, 12 frs per day). Have fun!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

airwise wrote:There aren't many more scenic lunch stops in the Alps in my experience.

Absolutely amazing, need to get over that way, I tend to stay too much to Haute Savoie etc.

basilic

by basilic

airwise, did you ride up to Männlichen on a road bike? or is that for mtbs?

makoy

by makoy

airwise

by airwise

Basilic, on a road bike yes.

When you get to the top, if you turn right there's a gravel road up past the station. It's rideable and only goes on for about half a kilometer. The surface on the Finestre is way worse IME.

The actual climb to the station ranks right up there with the best for me. I like any road where you encounter more cows than cars. This time I combined it with the Grosse Scheidegg from Grindelwald as I'm staying in Meiringen. Good ride.

wingguy

by wingguy

basilic wrote:Off season riding is great - better light, less traffic, etc. Even if a col is closed (say snow at 2000m) why not ride the empty road as far as you can and turn around. If the mountains are in the clouds, just ride at lower elevations, around the lakes of Thun and Brienz, up the Lauterbrunnen valley, etc. Get a regional cycling map (blue/red cover, "la suisse à vélo"), they show the best roads for cyclists. Bring a windbreaker, gloves, hat, booties for the descents. If you run into really bad weather take the train back, they have hooks for bikes (buy a ticket for the bike, 12 frs per day). Have fun!

Thanks for the info - 2000m is still 1700m higher than it gets around here so it should be worthwhile regardless :lol:

I've been in the area a fair bit with my other, all year round sport but I don't get any summer season time off with work at the moment, and looking at your and airwise's stunning photos it's has been absolutely killing me that I haven't had my bike out there yet!

Deus

by Deus

Awesome commute in to work today......... http://app.strava.com/rides/19452654

GASer

by GASer

South Crete MTB ride yesterday:

North Crete road cycling a couple of days before:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What/where is that observatory, and at what altitude? How big a telescope?

campbellrae

by campbellrae

From a loop of Ben Lomond on the MTB's last Saturday;

Overlooking Loch Lomond from about half way up above the east bank.

djm

by djm

Norway, Ringerike.

tinchy

by tinchy

not so warm in norway in august?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com