HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:04 pm 

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13826.0.html

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:03 am 

*I think this should be transfer to the cycle chat section mods.*

Anyways, this whole Rock Racing team and the ways (especially Ball) it does things doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth, personally. We'll see how they're accepted among the peloton...

Adam Hansen wrote:
Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:34 am 

This didn't really surprise me. I could easily see Rock Racing signing someone who has a less than perfect history. I'm not saying I don't like Tyler Hamilton, he seems like a nice guy.

I'm wondering how Fred Rodriguez will do. If he will be racing only in the US now. Given he isn't the best sprinter he is a very good lead out man for Mcewen. He is also from my area so I always root for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:51 am 
Formerly known as PezTech

Warblade wrote:
this whole Rock Racing team and the ways (especially Ball) it does things doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth, personally. We'll see how they're accepted among the peloton...

Not meant as arguement, but I know some folks personally there.

I wouldn't be to quick to pass judgement on everyone involved with the team based on your perception of the owner or a rider or two...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:44 am 

I'm sorry warblade, but I'm going to have to disagree with you, I understand they seem a bit out there, but you yourself mentioned about why should sponsors have to leave the sport? RnR really saved the national crit series last year and is putting forth alot of money to some good riders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:43 am 

PezTech wrote:
Warblade wrote:
this whole Rock Racing team and the ways (especially Ball) it does things doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth, personally. We'll see how they're accepted among the peloton...

Not meant as arguement, but I know some folks personally there.

I wouldn't be to quick to pass judgement on everyone involved with the team based on your perception of the owner or a rider or two...

Well I'm just going off the stuff I've read/heard. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone on that team (know a few juniors in the R&R oufit though). But the whole (Ball said something along the lines of this) "you have to win or your fired" mentality doesn't do the sport any good to prevent doping. Granted you could argue, most teams are like this because results bring the team more money, but still..... I'm still a fan of Vaughters mentality of "I'd rather you place 10th than first without the use of dope."

Adam Hansen wrote:
Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:27 pm 

Wasn't hamilton banned for testing positive twice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:13 pm 

zebragonzo wrote:
Wasn't hamilton banned for testing positive twice?

As said in this thread http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=37839

no.

He was simply linked to Operacion Puerto so Mr Tinkoff choosed to get him out of team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:42 pm 

Could someone please tell me who the owner of this team is? All I've heard about him is that he is bad for the sport and so on.

I would like to hear why before we crucify him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:10 pm 

There was an article a few weeks ago one velonews's site with him. He's Michael Ball, he owns a designer jean company with a "rock and roll edge" or something like that. Why so many seem to dislike the team is beyond me though, is it just because it breaks from tradition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:20 pm 

His jeans suck, his team is going to be ultra-American; I.E.- NO CLASS.

GRRRRRRREAT. I don't think anyone would be surprised if his riders end up testing positive, and no, you don't have to give anyone the benefit of the doubt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:34 pm 

I tend to agree with Warblade as this team leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I do not think his attitude can help the sport at this time, and is probably a detriment or another step back. I was glad to hear when Cris Horner did not sign with him, and the Mario thing was somewhat of a joke in my opinion.
Personally I hope his team does not do well so that I do not have to hear or read about him. It does look like this may not be the case though, he seems to be getting a good Domestic team together. :evil:
My wife and daughter both support his team in purchasing his jeans. They do not think that they suck as the repeater says. I really have no opinion on his clothing line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:56 pm 

Why are we even discussing this idiotic topic?

I hope it isn't just a coincidence that cyclingnews skipped the hamilton story altogether. THAT is a step in the right direction. That's class. No need to give in to the publicity machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:34 pm 

It is not really the "american" attitude he has that bothers me. The self righteous BS bugs me. He critisized Brunyeel for hiring Contador because he was named in OP. The Spanish SG cleard him and so did the Spanish Olympic committee.

The he hires Botero. When asked if it botherd him if he was involved in OP, I think his exact response was

"F--- no. No way. There is nothing there, man. Nothing. Zero. The Colombian national federation has cleared him, there's nothing else there."

In the previous breath he had singled out Contador for the exact same thing.

The whole Chris Horner episode was like a train wreck. Ball said he was "stupid" for not taking the deal. His "your with me or against" attitude is weird. He must have got picked last for dodge ball as a kid. It seemed like he took the Horner thing personally......................

He does have a point about the testing. Why is it only cyclist in OP. Others were named, yet, oddly, we never saw their names.

My wife likes their jeans.................and they look good on her so who am I complain :lol:.

Starnut

BB30.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:13 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

Hey no arguement at all about what you might think of team management, my point is simply that there are lots of people on the team and in support.

What I mean is that I wouldn't say "the team" when I mean an individual or two...

I also don't think the win or else out thing is a good idea, nor is sending a mixed message on who you sign and how you make out contracts.

I really think Ball's heart is in the right place (just an assumption) and what he wants are hard working guys and he genuinely want's to aggresively support "his" guys.

I think he's trying to send that message as he doesn't like that teams get to toss guys away at the first sign of trouble when the teams very likely either knew what was going on or were actively supporting it.

There's a real mixed message with day to day contracts and being critical of other teams signings on one hand and supporting your guys on the other, but I think it's simply that Ball needs a better public relations person to help with the message (or possibly simply needs to listen to the one he has)... Balls missing a great opportunity.

Anyway, my point isn't that anyone should argue for or against Ball. It's that there are a lot of good people associated with that team and I don't think they deserve getting painted with the same brush as the one guy that has the media's attention right now...

Last edited by CharlesM on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:13 pm 

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next