New Power Meter To Have Rear View Camera

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MaaseyRacer

by MaaseyRacer

I personally do not see my self purchasing one, the Quarq (please adopt Campy or Shimano Cranks) or SRM still look like better options. But then again this thing is still a prototype, and I could be eating these words:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/concept-prot ... 334672.php

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

So while you are trying to focus on the screen and actually see what type of truck is bearing down on you, you hit a pot hole, taco your wheel and crash anyway, because you weren't watching the road in front of you. Hmmm....

A heads up "fighter pilot" display inside a set of Oakleys would be cool though...
8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Stolichnaya wrote:So while you are trying to focus on the screen

Interesting comment: a mirror allows one to retain long-range focus, while a video screen requires refocusing to short-range. One does this all the time with a cyclocomputer or conventional powermeter display, but a video may require closer inspection.

The biggest benefit, I think, would be proof of aggressive behavior by drivers, with a fish-eye lens mounted.

My guess is this would be ANT-compatible, and thus still work with Quarq Cinqo.

andrello

by andrello

I'd like the camera pointed forward so I could keep aero with my head down and out of the wind yet still see where I'm going.

ergott

by ergott

andrello wrote:I'd like the camera pointed forward so I could keep aero with my head down and out of the wind yet still see where I'm going.

You should only ride on a trainer. You are very aero there no matter what your position.

-Eric

Danton

by Danton

Stolichnaya wrote:A heads up "fighter pilot" display inside a set of Oakleys would be cool though... 8)

You can get motorbike helmets and even diving masks with this, the tech is not so complicated. Battery dependent...

As for a rear view camera, well I have ears and a neck, so I can hear what's behind and if in doubt, I can turn my neck. Impressive, no? :wink:

Jokes aside, the Quarq should be interesting and welcome competition to the powermeter market. Rumour says Polar will be producing a straingauge hub system in the future.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Wasn't some company marketing a tri mirror for just that purpose a few years back? It was a mirror that hung at an angle from the areo bars and gave the rider a (limited) view of the road ahead. Might be something for perfectly smooth pavement and a closed road.

The mirror versus screen thing I did not know. Learned something today djconnel. My comment was more oriented toward the need to really focus on the screen to determine what is actually coming up behind you. I tried to watch an Ipod movie on a tram the other day and got so dizzy I had to shut it off. I would hate to add that feeling in on my bike rides. Car sick on my road bike. ha ha Is there an emoticon for me throwing up on the bike?

Now the fighter pilot display linked to a mounted stinger missle would be great - especially for those cars that whizz by too close.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

My issue with mirrors is that if they are to be useful, you have to stare at them at all times. Dependence on them is dangerous.

I have the ability to turn my head 90 degrees and look back. Costs free. Ears included.

record

by record

andrello wrote:I'd like the camera pointed forward so I could keep aero with my head down and out of the wind yet still see where I'm going.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was funny.
When i saw a topic I thought its a joke for a moment. But actually its quite a good idea I think.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

djconnel

by djconnel

DocRay wrote:My issue with mirrors is that if they are to be useful, you have to stare at them at all times. Dependence on them is dangerous.

I have the ability to turn my head 90 degrees and look back. Costs free. Ears included.

Glancing into a mirror is quicker than easier and, if you're in a competitive situation, less obvious. You don't need to stare into them: you need more experience with them if you believe this. The main reason folks don't use mirrors is fashion.

chrism

by chrism

DocRay wrote:My issue with mirrors is that if they are to be useful, you have to stare at them at all times. Dependence on them is dangerous.

Do you drive? If so, can you make sure to give a warning on here when you're going out so all of us can be nowhere near you (I'm separated by an ocean, but I've got to think of those not so fortunate :D )
No scales on the trails

ergott

by ergott

djconnel wrote:
Glancing into a mirror is quicker than easier and, if you're in a competitive situation, less obvious.

Nobody, I repeat nobody, races with a mirror. I'd throw a bottle into their spokes if I saw it.

-Eric

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

DocRay wrote:I have the ability to turn my head 90 degrees and look back. Costs free. Ears included.

Whoah, I just tried this and it works 100%, thanks for saving me $1000 :lol:
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

velodemon

by velodemon

ergott wrote:
djconnel wrote:
Glancing into a mirror is quicker than easier and, if you're in a competitive situation, less obvious.

Nobody, I repeat nobody, races with a mirror. I'd throw a bottle into their spokes if I saw it.

-Eric

You should come down to the southeast and tell some of the fastest masters racers in the country that no one races with a mirror. You'd better have a good arm to hit some of those fellas with your water bottle, and be able to ride like a bat out of hell to get away from them once you threw it. Never judge a book by it's cover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

When you are racing, you should be paying attention to what's in front of you. I stand by this no matter what those guys are doing.

-Eric