N. Calif. weight weenies

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

donald

by donald

Hello from San Francisco. I am planning to go to the San Bruno Mt. Hill Climb on New Years Day, unless the weather is really bad. I probably won't race because I am not very fit right now, but for anyone interested in meeting, riding a little and showing our light bikes as I would enjoy meeting you. I will have my 8.4 lb. Ruegamer there as some people wanted to see it. If you need directions just to to ncnca.org, click on Road.

djconnel

by djconnel

donald wrote:Hello from San Francisco. I am planning to go to the San Bruno Mt. Hill Climb on New Years Day, unless the weather is really bad. I probably won't race because I am not very fit right now, but for anyone interested in meeting, riding a little and showing our light bikes as I would enjoy meeting you. I will have my 8.4 lb. Ruegamer there as some people wanted to see it. If you need directions just to to ncnca.org, click on Road.

I'll be there, likely on my 16.5 lb Fuji (which I've never thought of as particularly light, but now is seeming like a total porker, compared to yours!). I'm registered for the E3 race. I really look forward to seeing that Ruegamer! I'll bring my scale :).

I've been climbing strictly Z2-Z3 these days, so certainly don't expect to be competitive, but hey, it's 1 Jan, nobody is expected to be competitive: it's a fun way to start the year.

Dan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

I'd be up for checking it out. I'll be there w/ my new Parlee Z3 which hasn't been WW'd yet and rings in at 16.8 w/ my Nimble Fly/PT combo. Sounds heavy, but keep in mind my TT is 63.5 and this is a big frame! M35+ race for me...

STARNUT

by STARNUT

tmanley wrote:I'd be up for checking it out. I'll be there w/ my new Parlee Z3 which hasn't been WW'd yet and rings in at 16.8 w/ my Nimble Fly/PT combo. Sounds heavy, but keep in mind my TT is 63.5 and this is a big frame! M35+ race for me...

holy crap...............you must be 6'5"-6'7". how long is your headtube?

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

tmanley

by tmanley

6'9"!!!

Headtube is 23.8cm. More details can be found here: http://themanleyreport.blogspot.com/

Chasen1211

by Chasen1211

i'll see if i'll be there. since me team is hosting this event, i may be working sign ups (not racing). so hopefully i'll see some ww and their light bikes there!

djconnel

by djconnel

tmanley wrote:6'9"!!!

Headtube is 23.8cm. More details can be found here: http://themanleyreport.blogspot.com/

Photo (with Serotta) from Mt Hamilton Low-Key Hillclimb:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2056837040&context=set-72157603268933598&size=o

Regarding the Parlee: 17.5 lb for 195 lb would be like 11.3 lb for me. (7.9 kg:88.5 kg :: 5.1 kg:57 kg). So I think that bike is plenty light.

tmanley

by tmanley

To have a chance against you and the rest of the billy goats at the low-key hill climbs I've got to think about making the Parlee lighter! :)

BTW, I can wait to take the Parlee up Mt. Hamilton to see how my times compare with the Serotta (which is about 4 pounds heavier).

MaaseyRacer

by MaaseyRacer

I registered, and I will be racing. Like everyone else this is not really a race, it is just a fun way to start the beginning of the year, and renew the license.
Looking forward to seeing everyone out there.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

tmanley wrote:BTW, I can wait to take the Parlee up Mt. Hamilton to see how my times compare with the Serotta (which is about 4 pounds heavier).

You live in San Jose , so what are you waiting for? Alum rock, here we come.

tmanley

by tmanley

Waiting for my rest week to finish...4 hard weeks in a row makes me look at my bike in disgust. I was so happy yesterday when I stepped off the bike and realized that the next 7 days would be recovery. Ride hard...recover harder!

djconnel

by djconnel

I looked for Donald's Ruegamer, but didn't see it. I'd even brought my scale!

Today was a gorgeous day for a climb: clear skies, temperatures near 10C/50F, and relatively strong winds which made for a relatively tactical finish. I ended up 6th/17th in the Elite 3. where places 4-8 were quite tight. I misjudged the finish a bit, but no complaints from me on that result. The fastest time of the day, the only sub-15 minute, was from an Elite 4. Quite impressive given the strong headwinds at the end.

tmanley

by tmanley

Dan-

Sorry you missed the Ruegamer. Don was in the parking lot after the race with his scale and there was quite a crowd around the scale. People were checking their weights and admiring Don's creation. Needless to say, with the gusts in the parking lot it was good that the bike was being handed from one person to another...it might have blown away like a leaf if somebody wasn't holding it.

My Parlee ended up at 16.00 exactly! So far I've shaved 1.5 pounds from the bike...not bad for a 63cm TT.

-Thanks, Todd

Chasen1211

by Chasen1211

good seeing such a great turn out! This was a great event, very successful. I was working registration("Banker"). I believe I saw Tmanley with his Parlee looking good, got some pics i will post up.

For those who missed Don's amazing 8.48lb beauty, I will post some pics up.

Hope to see even a bigger turn out next year!

Chasen

djconnel

by djconnel

Thanks for helping with such a great event!

I was pleased to see an excellent turnout from participants in the Low-Key Hillclimbs -- Low-Keyers did quite well, with series regulars winning several categories.

Perhaps I was too engrossed in warming up before the ride: my spin around the parking lots failed to reveal Donald's set-up. Where was he?

Anyway, some photos from the climb:
me:
http://www.jpimages.biz/gallery/4092174#238503430
Todd:
http://www.jpimages.biz/gallery/4092174#238504753

Dan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com