Where Are the Most Bicycle-Friendly Cities in the World?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

arcspin

by arcspin

Hi,
Read this in a WIRED blog.
Do you guys agree???

""
We all know Amsterdam leads the list--since bicycles account for 40 percent of all traffic in that city. Virgin has put together a list of the top 11 friendliest cities for bikes in the world, based on criteria advanced by the League of American Bicyclists. And what would those criteria be? Why, they're enshrined in the Five Es:

1. Engineering (bike parking, designated lanes, etc.)
2. Encouragement (events and campaigns)
3. Evaluation and Planning (ongoing political bodies that make changes to existing laws and plan for the future)
4. Education (bike maps and awareness campaigns)
5. Enforcement (making motorists heel)

And the 11 most bike friendly cities?
1. Amsterdam
2. Portland, Oregon
3. Copenhagen
4. Boulder, Colorado
5. Davis, California
6. Sandnes, Norway
7. Tronheim, Norway
8. San Francisco, California
9. Berlin
10. Barcelona
11. Basel, Switzerland

Read the story here:
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2007/11/where-are-the-m.html
a climbers delight...SCOTT ADDICT Ltd
http://arcspin.wordpress.com/my-bike/

Camp Mallorca
http://www.campmallorca.se

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

I cant talk for other cities, but I do agree on the fact that there's no italian city on top10.

Italy's cities are no bike friendly.

rustychain

by rustychain

What I find is that cities with lots of cyclists win out over cities with lots of planning
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

pkienast

by pkienast

I'm fascinated that on the top ten there are lots of cities from the states... I've been there twice (not in one of the listed cities) but I never noticed any bike lanes or bike facilitation...

wow! Nice to know! Thanks!
Free your mind and your ass will follow

eurostyle

by eurostyle

I'm surprised to see Trondheim and Sandnes on there, but otherwise than that, it seems reasonable.

Sprinter

by Sprinter

Tokyo's awful. I'd say 20% of drivers here think bicycles aren't even allowed on the road.

Adelaide is good - but that's because it's a small city, not because of anything the state government has done.

I'd say the surprise city is Rejkyavik. An awful city for cyclists. People drive massive vans and trucks too fast, the roads outside the city centre can be bad and drivers have no respect for riders.

Joe S

by Joe S

Perspective!

I live in Copenhagen and that is all thinks considered a fine city for the general cyclist. Still, this is what I just read: Next year the city is to spend 75 million Danish kroner improving conditions for cyclists (of which there are many in Copenhagen). Compare that number to the 464 million kroner the city is to spend on 3 parking lots. Even in the worlds 3rd most bike friendly city we are the last to get anything :hmm:

mises

by mises

Since portland just had 2 cyclists killed in a 2 week span and no charges filed against the motorists in either case I don't see how it could possibly be anywhere on the list. In one of the fatalities the woman was stopped at a light in the bike lane and a garbage truck on her left turned right and ran her over (slowly). Driver had a history of DUI and other infractions too.

Around the same time a third cyclist was hit by a car from behind and the cyclist was cited by police. Caused a stir in the cycling community but shortly after I moved here some years back PDX cops shot a homeless woman 16 times because she was threatening them with a plastic fork so I've never expected them to be anything but the spawn of satan.

DiterDV

by DiterDV

Amsterdam... :)
There's no point in living if you can't feel alive - JB

KB

by KB

micky wrote:I cant talk for other cities, but I do agree on the fact that there's no italian city on top10.

You should go to Ferrara, lots of bikes there and respect from motorists.

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Anyone have much experience of Lyon? I'm moving there at the end of January.

I know they have a VeloV system and there are decent bicycle lanes in the inner city (or ride down the tramways), but it's less clear how you go over longer distances, getting across the rivers and up over les monts d'or...?
Graham

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

Not sure wheres best but IT WILL NOT BE IN BRITAIN!!

:?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Crap.

You can name about 800 cities in the far east that all rank ahead of anything in the USA...

OJ

by OJ

I'm pretty sure there's at least 11 cities in the Netherlands that would beat all the other cities in the world.

One of the worst cities in the worlds however might be the city where I live in. This is honestly very bad city for a cyclist.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

KB wrote:
micky wrote:I cant talk for other cities, but I do agree on the fact that there's no italian city on top10.

You should go to Ferrara, lots of bikes there and respect from motorists.

You're right! I totally forgot of it! :oops:

I live quite close and Ive been already a couple of times, and its really nice indeed.

But for example, in a city like Verona where there has been already 2 Worlds, they are gonna close some cycling area. I guess its for give more space to cars. :?