Best place for cycling camps around South or North Carolina

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Jean-Michel

by Jean-Michel

Hello,

I am about to organize a cycling camps and would like advise concerning the best place for it. We are looking for a low traffic area with good weather around february march, nice roads (some 5km or more hills, etc), nice pavements.

Feel provide any details (weather stats, ammount of roads, available house rentals, etc. etc.

thanks in advance,

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

What about Hincapie's camp in North Carolina?

http://www.pladadet.com/press/feb9.html

Also, look to the blue ridge mountains, very nice there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmh

by jmh

Doc Ray beat me to it.

Greenville, SC or Asheville, NC are great places to base rides out of. (they are about 50 miles apart). Greenville has better access from outside the area. I used to live in Greenville and the cycling is very good there.

Also consider Boone, NC farther north. Great climbs there too.

Jean-Michel

by Jean-Michel

Thanks, looks great out there.

Do you know what is the temperature in march?

Thanks

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Jean-Michel wrote:Thanks, looks great out there.

Thanks

usually t-shirt weather 2nd half of February, then F-ing HOT May-Oct.

good climbs in Boone.

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

DocRay wrote:
Jean-Michel wrote:Thanks, looks great out there.

Thanks

usually t-shirt weather 2nd half of February, then F-ing HOT May-Oct.

good climbs in Boone.

Weather for Cherokee, NC, just east of Great Smokey Mountains NP:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... rom=search

Not too shabby.

vxracer

by vxracer

Yeah, youll need the cold stuff. At least for mornings/ evenings. Being from Canada it may not be too bad for you. Should feel like home that time of year. Some springs it warms up a little faster, but people are still skiing around that time of year. With a windchill it can be pretty vicious up there. Mount Mitchell has a -70F? record with the windchill, but thats at the coldest place. SC isn't as bad for the cold stuff. Especially between TN, VA, and NC at the higher elevations- its like a triangle from the TN/NC state line you can expect some chilliness. Dont know about the cold with these warmer drier years now, it may not be as bad except for a late cold snap. Its the only area in the South where things wont shut down for winter weather either. Anywhere from Greenville to Tennessee, and Georgia to Virginia through the Appalachians is pretty nice to ride. Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park, Blue Ridge Parkway, Hiawassee, little switzerland, linville falls, Murphy- has a high elevation plateau around it, unicoi range, etc. and most back highways are really nice rides. Greenville, Asheville, Boone, etc. are all pretty nice towns, but you'll get a lot of Atlanta transplants. Murphy, Franklin, Canton, Waynesboro you'll want to be a little cautious of "hillbillie" drivers. I was with a group of 30 who had to "pump up a fool's head" when he had a problem with sharing the road. Cost us all an air pump. Although, that was 10 years ago. Most of these people have been replaced by yuppies, but they are just as dangerous- in nicer cars. :) Be careful in smaller groups. Be very careful solo or pairs. Plus, there are a lot of places where you cant be seen behind hillcrests there almost a whole day trip long. Continuous blind spots.

Let us know if you meet "bubba". There are still a few up there. I still have family that 'shines up yonder. :lol:
Good Luck!

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

Yeah the last time I was up in them thar hills, a lady at a gas station asked if we had any interest in certain distilled products...

Jean-Michel

by Jean-Michel

Might as well go more south if it is that cold. Is there any hills in florida?

JM

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

Jean-Michel wrote:Might as well go more south if it is that cold. Is there any hills in florida?

JM

Are you joking or being serious?

I consider that shorts and arm warmers weather, if we're talking about February and March.

And no, there are no hills worth mentioning in Florida. Highest point is about 350ft above sea level.

Jean-Michel

by Jean-Michel

ah ok then, this is good.

I will look at the blue ridge prkway. One friend also talk me about Table Rock SC. Anyone know that place?

JM

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Check out Brevard NC. I have been there several times. It is beautiful there. Nice Roads including the parkway but the best climbs seem to criss cross the parkway. very cycle friendly area.
Great mtb there also.

amos

by amos

Been down to that area a lot in March each year. I've always found that you're best to drive the extra hour south from Asheville towards Clemson, SC.

A few times in March in Asheville, NC it's been pretty cool (around 10C), drive to the other side of the continental divide and the temp goes up a good 5-10deg.

amos

by amos

Jean-Michel wrote:ah ok then, this is good.

I will look at the blue ridge prkway. One friend also talk me about Table Rock SC. Anyone know that place?

JM

Stay away from Table Rock at all costs!!!!!!!!!

At least until I get my reservation in first :lol: You'll love it there and there will be at least 30-40 other Canucks hanging out there. Some great climbs from there, Caeser's Head is about 35minutes to the top.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

RollinOn27s wrote:Yeah the last time I was up in them thar hills, a lady at a gas station asked if we had any interest in certain distilled products...

Maybe you could run 'shine in your water bottles on your 6.8. The revenuers would never figure to look there.