HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mayo vs. Landis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:35 pm 

Mayo was cleared of using EPO in the Tour after his B sample came back negative. The Spanish federation said there was a mistake in the testing of his A sample. Guess which lab made the mistake?

Châtenay-Malabry

I have no idea (at least any legitimate idea) how this place stays open. They leak everything. Their testing of Landis was so full of errors that any legal court would have thrown the whole thing out... whether he was in fact doping or not. And they continue to make errors. I can understand how any rider whose sample is sent to this lab would be nervous.

The continued use of this facility is just another example of how the people who run cycling are "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:16 am 

Yep

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:16 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:39 am 

nah,
they dont make mistakes. according to some people around here its just the lawyers flooding us w/ bad info. The labs could never be wrong.

I remember everyone destrying this Mayo when this happened. Does he have legal recourse now or his he just fcuked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:58 am 

Mayo has said he is talking to his lawyer about suing. I think he should sue the shit out of them.

- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:04 am 

Of course the UCI isn't happy...

To quote Anne Gripper the UCI anti-doping manager "The case for us is still very open, we have not gotten a final resolution on the B sample. It needs to be analysed in the Paris laboratory."

The UCI have faith in Châtenay-Malabry because they always give the UCI the results the UCI want!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:05 am 

Don't rush in yet...

The story is that the A-sample was positive and the B-sample was inconclusive. The UCI says "The case for us is still very open", a big contrast to the Spanish federation's "Mayo is innocented". The B-sample will be tested again.

The real issue is why this is happening now, the control was done in July. Why so slow? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:27 pm 

I think UCI would pick any other lab if they had any brains. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen IMO, and choosing this lab will further hurt the reputation of all involved. Finding the truth is hard when everyone has an aggenda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:17 pm 

From cyclingnews.com...

According to Gripper, Mayo's B sample was transferred to a laboratory in Gent, Belgium because the Châtenay-Malabry laboratory in Paris, where the original sample was tested, was closed for the holidays. "To ensure that the rider could have the B sample done more quickly, we transferred the sample, but the Gent laboratory just couldn't get the sample to confirm the Paris result," said Gripper.

"In Gent, they use a slightly different technique than the Paris laboratory," she added.

The UCI has now requested the Spanish Cycling Federation fully explain its decision to close the case. "We are waiting for the Spanish federation's report but anyway, the B sample will be tested again in Paris," UCI president Pat McQuaid told Reuters.

Translation = "Gent wouldn't give us the result we told them to give us. So, we're going to pretend the Gent result never happened, and give it back to Châtenay-Malabry. It's so hard to find people who just do what they're told."

And correct me if I'm wrong... but why are they trying to "get the sample to confirm the Paris result?" :noidea: The B sample is either negative or non-negative. You don't just keep testing it until it returns the results you want! :hmm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:24 pm 

[quote removed. this is a reply]

Exactly. I really, really, really hope that someone who knows his defense team sees what the dumbsh!ts at the UCI have said about his case. Also, professional cyclists in general. Adam Hansen, Simon, this means you. Protect yourselves and know your rights.

Guilty or not, the UCI is supposed to be protecting the innocent as well as outing the cheats, not starting a f*cking witch hunt where only the result they desire is acceptable.

On that note, the UCI should fire that person immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:48 pm 

This isn't my view but just for the sake of argument, say Mayo's A sample did test positive for EPO and that the B test was inconclusive?

Clearly many here are taking sides quickly. But the Landis case was not an EPO test, it was about testosterone and whilst the hearings showed very bad procedures at times, they also showed normal protocols worked in other instances.

So in theory there is every possibility that the B sample does contain traces of EPO too.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think this is such an easy story...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:25 pm 

Hard to feel sorry for Mayo. Some very strange results in his past. Didn't he once destroy Armstrong in a Ventoux time trial? He has also had some amazingly strong flat time trial results at certain points in his career. I am all for due process but I doubt this guy is clean regardless of how lame the UCI is its protocols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:12 am 

Mr. Gib,

He beat the tar out of Armstrong up Ventoux during the 2004 (I think) Dauphine Libere. 2 minutes and change.

He was also on the form of his life, WAY too early. Slid down the back side of the razor's edge during the Tour that year, and DNF'd.

Doing what he did isn't that hard to imagine, as, doped or not, he was racing against a bunch of guys who weren't "in shape" yet when he popped that TT out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:21 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

Personally I tend to believe in guys that run hot and cold. A great day then a horrible one.

It's the autobots that simply never have a bad day (or decade) that make me wonder...

That said, the CM lab in France is an absolute joke.

Worse still are the UCI, who feeel like tossing riders under the buss is the best way to cover their incredibly poor running of Cycling in general...

If the CM lab tried to pull their sh!t (leaks, crap processing, crap handling) with FIFA, Formula 1 etc, they would be absolutely demolished.

The UCI and CM lab make great bedfellows...

They are both piss poor at general management, but have seemed to find a way to always do what the other want and back one anothers mistakes as a way to try and gain joint credibility.

Neither deserve their place.

This is not simply about fair sport. It's about the lives of the athletes and to no small degree the serving level staff that are not paid hundreds of thousands or millions of (who ever's currency) and have to support themselves and their families...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:54 pm 

I hear ya PrezTech!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:19 pm 

PezTech wrote:
Personally I tend to believe in guys that run hot and cold. A great day then a horrible one.

It's the autobots that simply never have a bad day (or decade) that make me wonder...

what's the old saying? How do you spot the guys most likely on the juice? Look for the ones that can go 3 weeks without a bad day.

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:19 pm 

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next