WWs in Hickory, North Carolina

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

elephant

by elephant

I am visiting and looking for a place to ride. Let me know where to go. I prefer UCI XC style riding.

Thanks.

vxracer

by vxracer

Youre within 1 hour of the best riding on the east coast. Just head north on 321, or west on I-40 for no more than an hour. Look for any Blue Ridge Parkway, state parks, two-lane dirt roads, etc. or talk to some locals. If you go to Old Fort- almost to Asheville- there are trails that head up to Mount Mitchell which is the highest mountain on the east coast. I even ran a few Assault on Mount Mitchells. The on road and offroad variety. Offroad is from old fort to mount mitchell. Whew! is all I can say. Road is from Spartanburg SC to Asheville (mount Mitchell is 37 miles from there, but Asheville to 6700 feet above sea level is tough!!! I grew up riding all over that area (not Hickory specifically). I would take off, ride awhile, check out different places, hell the ride from town to town in the mountains is fun enough, but I know most of those areas are overpopulated compared to when I used to ride there. Probably none of the dirt roads to go 25+ miles are even dirt anymore anyways. Some of them even followed streams and rivers where you could always cool off, get fresh water, etc. I wouldn't do that anymore!!!

Good Luck finding a place!!!

by Weenie