Run what you brung. Shoot from the hip racing. Lol

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

vxracer

by vxracer

I just got back from my local downtown Athens, GA coffee shop. The guy who works there is a student at UGA, and we started chatting about a bicycle powered sidecar a while back. To go to/from the mountains to be able to cycle all day at the elevations without using a car to get there. Lol. That project is a couple months off. This morning, he told me about a race at 2:00am he will start holding every month, $5.00 entry, winner takes all. Open to all ages, abilities. I estimate 6 miles. The roadie isnt ready to run yet, but the MTB is. Drat. I figure what the heck- would be fun anyways, right? May get a couple hundred bucks instead of a couple hours sleep. :lol:

In talking about this race, I found out Athens has some sort of twilight criterium in late summer, so that may be cool to do next year. I dont think either is as tough as the assault on mount mitchell, though. But, they are different leagues as well I suppose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vxracer

by vxracer

Even though no one here seems interested, I had a lot of fun. Wasnt much of a race, so I just stayed back and rode in the middle with all of the college girls :wink: Best $5.00 I have ever spent.

tigearhead

by tigearhead

Did it, and it hurt. the mtn bikes with knobbies had a hard time keeping up. I will do it again, but given the cash involved I think the Road Bike will be my vehicle of choice for the next event.

See ya there

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

tigearhead wrote:Did it, and it hurt. the mtn bikes with knobbies had a hard time keeping up. I will do it again, but given the cash involved I think the Road Bike will be my vehicle of choice for the next event.

See ya there

Good thing there are no doping controls...
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

vxracer wrote:In talking about this race, I found out Athens has some sort of twilight criterium in late summer, so that may be cool to do next year. I dont think either is as tough as the assault on mount mitchell, though. But, they are different leagues as well I suppose.

As far as I know, the only twilight crit in Athens is the Athens Twilight Criterium in April. Its an NRC event, pretty sure it's Pro/1 only. I would love to do this race next year, if I can upgrade to the 1s. Racing at night, assuming there's a decent amount of light, would be awesome.

vxracer

by vxracer

One topic of discussion during the last race was categorization. Maybe it will happen next time if there are enough entries. If there isnt, Im going to smack a $10 bill for the MTB and a$10 bill womens categories myself. As long as there are at least two of anything- I may do the same unless we categorize. Heck, even if two cruisers show up. Lol! As long as two buddies dont show up on unicycles, and split the proceeds. :o

Oh yeah, its not that easy night racing- I was just trying to bring in more people thinking it would be an easy run. :wink: I personally have been training for a short, full attack style race lately to be able to compete. Will have to MTB until I get the roadie ready. Then look out 8)

The criterium as far as I know is a shorter course than I have ever seen, fast, lots of turns, lots of elbow rubbing. Not my cup of tea! Theres also an MTB section.

http://www.athenstwilight.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com