Lightweight city bike. Anyone build one?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I am thinking of getting a new cross frame and using my old one to build up a city bike. Now it will not be a weight weenie build but I do have some light parts that I could put on this build and most likely get it down to under 18 lbs. I was thinking of using the cross frame and carbon forks as the base. I have compact cranks on the bike already that I would use, maybe go with my Extralight Ultraleves, some Tektro Mini-V's, Eggbeater Candy pedals, Paul's Thumbies for the rear derailleur and maybe go without a front. Single ring upfront or I might just go full Thumbies. I will most likely build the bike with some 105 derailleurs that I have sitting around, go with a carbon seat post, Fizik arione saddle, carbon flat bar, Syntace F99 stem and some extra rims I have sitting around.

Has anyone built up a light weight city bike and if they have do you have pictures.

Cheers.

rustychain

by rustychain

My light weight city bike is an old fixed gear. Very easy to get under 18 lbs, cheap, easy on upkeep and fun. Also I find few would want want to steal it and if they did few would get far :wink: Mine has a front brake and a rear fender and a huge bell thats fun when I pass people 8) . It cost me a few hundred dollars but could be done much cheaper.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I would like the bike to be geared as I might use it to ride to work as well. Of course I could ride my other 6 bikes but I am thinking that I will keep this bike geared for now.