Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Andover, Masschusetts, USA
I'm thinking this might be a good first ww bike for my daughter. I'm torn as to the best upgrade path, though it starts at only 8 lbs. even!

Ideas anyone?


Attachments:
jumber_green_new.jpg
jumber_green_new.jpg [ 9.16 KiB | Viewed 2439 times ]


Last edited by knh555 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
   
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:58 pm 


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:37 am
Posts: 529
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Cranks/pedals might help :wink:

_________________
2011 Jamis Xenith Race
2008 Salsa Chili Con Crosso
Strava Profile


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 pm
Posts: 119
Location: los angeles (last i checked)
you ARE putting an SRM on it - aren't you?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 7:54 pm
Posts: 318
AX Lightness Phoenix saddle and Schmolke TLO carbon MTB handlebar is a good start


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Andover, Masschusetts, USA
Mottsauce wrote:
Cranks/pedals might help :wink:


Too heavy.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Andover, Masschusetts, USA
M_b• wrote:
you ARE putting an SRM on it - aren't you?


Come on guys. I'm trying to shave weight, not add it.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 241
Mottsauce wrote:
Cranks/pedals might help :wink:


Au contraire.

The current trend over here seems to be to let kids kick themselves along with their feet on a bike like this, so that they acquire balance without having to worry about turning the pedals. Then once they have balance on this sort of bike, you put them on a pedal-equiped bike and they never look back.

Having just got through getting my two daughters to learn the traditional way (small heavy bike with stabilisers on the rear wheel), and having heard lots of success stories from parents at their school who have used something like this (wood is the current favourite frame material in London!), I wish I had tried this.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 am
Posts: 3657
Location: Leg hurty
Do a Palbin job on it!
Drill it, sand it, polish it, she'll be winning races on it before you know it. :lol:
I've got a similar project planned for my little boy, sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone have a tiny road bike for a 6 year old?

_________________
Pedalling Law Student.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Andover, Masschusetts, USA
legs 11 wrote:
Do a Palbin job on it!
Drill it, sand it, polish it, she'll be winning races on it before you know it. :lol:
I've got a similar project planned for my little boy, sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone have a tiny road bike for a 6 year old?


A six year-old? Methinks you'll need to go custom. You'll need to order from a builder with a fast turnaround though so your kid doesn't out-grow the thing between design time and delivery. How long does it take to get a Parlee?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 am
Posts: 3657
Location: Leg hurty
By the time I get the bank loan sorted out he will have outgrown it. :lol:

_________________
Pedalling Law Student.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Posts: 5415
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
How is she going to ride in UCI sanctioned events unless you get it up to 6.8kg, which would be about 6.994 lbs more?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:31 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Andover, Masschusetts, USA
HammerTime2 wrote:
How is she going to ride in UCI sanctioned events unless you get it up to 6.8kg, which would be about 6.994 lbs more?


Hmm...I suppose we'll just have to get started at the local level then.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:59 pm
Posts: 1106
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Greg66 wrote:
Au contraire.

The current trend over here seems to be to let kids kick themselves along with their feet on a bike like this, so that they acquire balance without having to worry about turning the pedals. Then once they have balance on this sort of bike, you put them on a pedal-equiped bike and they never look back.

Having just got through getting my two daughters to learn the traditional way (small heavy bike with stabilisers on the rear wheel), and having heard lots of success stories from parents at their school who have used something like this (wood is the current favourite frame material in London!), I wish I had tried this.


I think that's what knh555 is going for, a great idea really...

Greg66, those wood ones you're talking about, are they similar to this?
http://www.likeabikeusa.com/

_________________
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 836
If it doesn't have cranks and pedals, I'll bet it'll get boys on a real bike extremely quickly. Say after the first bump? :lol:

_________________
Wouldn't it be nice if people actually read what you wrote before responding?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 241
Skyleth wrote:
I think that's what knh555 is going for, a great idea really...

Greg66, those wood ones you're talking about, are they similar to this?
http://www.likeabikeusa.com/


Yep - that's exactly the thing. Didn't realize that they were from the US...


Top
   
 Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 pm 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Scott Scale 26" Bike Options--Weight vs Price--Pay More for Bike or Just Upgrade?

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

sandico

1

436

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:14 pm

poynt View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help me find a bike article. Does anyone remember this bike?

in Road

alcatraz

10

1111

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:08 am

alcatraz View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 5kg bike claimed as "Worlds Lightest Bike"...

in Road

jimaizumi

11

3024

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 am

SK5 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New Bike Day!

in Road

gsindela

1

882

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 am

Fixie82 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. What bike to get?

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

lemkeg

21

2550

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:16 pm

moyboy View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited