How many ride/train w/o a computer or electronic devices?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Hyde

by Hyde

frenk wrote:p.s. when you say "all types of electronics including power meters" it's really a way too big generalization.
There is a world of difference between basing your training on a cyclocomputer (speed/distance), a heartrate, a clock, a powermeter, a GPS, a cellphone...

We train all week long. We meet for long weekend rides. your reading out of this only what you want & my "supposed" generalization means that I have ridden with those who train with different electronic devices. I was trying to have a good conversation here & get feedback on everyones opinions not serve as a punching bag for some guy with a chip on his shoulder.

Hyde

by Hyde

PezTech wrote:Do I ride with an SRM, Ergomo or Hub now... Nope. Not even a computer.

At one point in my riding, I used both SRM and Tap, as well as a computrainer and they are absolutely a tool that gives results as part of a training program... So is the Ergomo.

That power measurement devices and even basic heart monitors are valuable tools when used effectively is not debateable. They quantify and record performance and allow for accurate, repeatable measure levels that are the basis for performance growth.

Wether or not they are a waste is completely dependant on rider training. For most of us here, every electronic device we strap to our bikes is simply an accesory and power meters are just the next level of onboard entertainment / vanity.

This leads to one of my points in sort of a round about way. I think it is good that everyone get out of cycling what they wish & that they enjoy it. If motivation is derived from a power meter or a computer I think that is great! I think everyone has a method of becoming a better rider that works for them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frd

by frd

Hyde,
I'm sorry, it was not my intent to sound harsh at all (my poor English skills are not helping too).
I quoted that sentence because it really reflected my experience, i.e. that powermeters are not overly useful on long/group rides. That was not to say something bad, really.

Sorry again,

Frenk

p.s.:
This leads to one of my points in sort of a round about way. I think it is good that everyone get out of cycling what they wish & that they enjoy it. If motivation is derived from a power meter or a computer I think that is great! I think everyone has a method of becoming a better rider that works for them.

I completely agree.

ihana

by ihana

I just use the simplest Sigma speedo with wires but still, I've found myself becoming obsessed with my average speed. I do most of my training at lunchtime during the week on a selection of hilly circuits and I get p1ssed off if my avg is less than 30kmh. But I went out on Wednesday and ignored the avg because I was with a mate who is not at his best and I ended up riding my usual climbs (leaving him behind) in record/near record times! :wink:

Tom

Hyde

by Hyde

frenk wrote:Hyde,
I'm sorry, it was not my intent to sound harsh at all (my poor English skills are not helping too).
I quoted that sentence because it really reflected my experience, i.e. that powermeters are not overly useful on long/group rides. That was not to say something bad, really.

Sorry again,

Frenk

p.s.:

I completely agree.

Not a problem. I was a little harsh myself. :wink:

Hyde

by Hyde

ihana wrote:I just use the simplest Sigma speedo with wires but still, I've found myself becoming obsessed with my average speed. I do most of my training at lunchtime during the week on a selection of hilly circuits and I get p1ssed off if my avg is less than 30kmh. But I went out on Wednesday and ignored the avg because I was with a mate who is not at his best and I ended up riding my usual climbs (leaving him behind) in record/near record times! :wink:

Tom

I often find that the best motivation for me is a fellow rider. A little competition can squeeze that "little bit extra" out of ya!