which multitool do WWs recommend?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Topeak Hexus

http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/tools/hexus16.php

160 grams with chain tool and tire levers.

For me a multitool is useless without the chain breaker.

Taz

by Taz

I have one question to those proposing the crankbros tool.
Have you ever tried to use the chain tool? It is damn near impossible to break a chain with that thing.
I have one and it is in the bottom of the useless junk bucket in my basement now. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teterider

by teterider

I use a Blackburn tool that I can't find a picture of and I don't have time to take one and post. It is 85 grams and includes: 2 real size plastic tire levers, very good chain tool, flat head screwdriver, 3 sizes of spoke tools, 4 sizes of open head hex wrenches (although only really cheap bikes have bolt heads), and 2,3,4,5,6 mm ball head hex keys.

Simply an amazing compact and light tool. I have no idea why they don't make it anymore but probably for the common reason - if its not a new design, its a bad design.

fatrat

by fatrat

chrism wrote:For carrying on the road? Nowt, along with good home maintenance. Last time I can remember having a need for any sort of tool on the road was my first ride on the first set of wheels I built, when a spoke key to tighten the rapidly self-loosening nipples would have been handy - but that was nearly 20 years ago. What sort of mechanicals are you guys having?

I carry a Crank Bros Multi 17 also. What sort of mechanicals? None on my bike, but I've had to mend other's bikes often enough. Most recently, it was used on Saturday to tighten my riding companion's rear brake cable.

I can't think of a time I used it on one of my bikes.

Cocolo

by Cocolo

Cheers! wrote:Topeak Hexus

http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/tools/hexus16.php

160 grams with chain tool and tire levers.

For me a multitool is useless without the chain breaker.

+1 on the Topeak is a bit heavier than most, but has everything you need.

NOTAWOFTAM

by NOTAWOFTAM

Taz wrote:I have one question to those proposing the crankbros tool.
Have you ever tried to use the chain tool? It is damn near impossible to break a chain with that thing.
I have one and it is in the bottom of the useless junk bucket in my basement now. :(

Yes, I used the chain tool recently to remove links from a munched chain of a fellow rider on an MTB ride who likes to power shift. No problem with using the chain tool. It worked well.

NOTAWOFTAM

by NOTAWOFTAM

fatrat wrote:
chrism wrote:For carrying on the road? Nowt, along with good home maintenance. Last time I can remember having a need for any sort of tool on the road was my first ride on the first set of wheels I built, when a spoke key to tighten the rapidly self-loosening nipples would have been handy - but that was nearly 20 years ago. What sort of mechanicals are you guys having?

I carry a Crank Bros Multi 17 also. What sort of mechanicals? None on my bike, but I've had to mend other's bikes often enough. Most recently, it was used on Saturday to tighten my riding companion's rear brake cable.

I can't think of a time I used it on one of my bikes.

+1 regarding using the Multi 17 to work on the bikes of other riders.

xptxc

by xptxc

Mine home built, a bit less then 110 g with a real usable chain tool 3,4,5 allens and a phillips one.

I needed to use several tool kits to get one and also some titanium bolts,

I decided to built it after a race where I took 30 minutes to fix a chain... and only after some guys helped me with a real chain tool.

I will post some picks soon

allons-y

by allons-y

crank bros multi 10. no useless chain tool, lighter, but handy w/ larger sized allen keys (for look or crankbros pedals) and also screwdrivers...its good.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Lightest tools

http://content.mtbr.com/TRD_14_364crx.aspx

89 grams!
:shock:

http://www.lezyne.com/

Was shown at interbike 2007. Not sure if you can buy them yet.
Last edited by Cheers! on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

This is also pretty darn cool.

http://www.topeak.com/t8/products/tools ... rocket.php

says weight is with the box as well.

Warblade

by Warblade

I use the Serfas Zipper RD. $15USD and super compact. Not to mention ONLY 72 grams! It's perfect.

http://www.serfas.com/product.asp?ProductID=328
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

Danton

by Danton

Like Swinter, this 53g version from Park Tools. It goes in a pouch with an inner tube, a box of tube patches, tyre levers... and an energy gel in case I break down.

I have the large one from Park like Pez for MTB, where more things seem to break or need work.