Blinded by the Light!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

My eyesight is poor (Left eye -5, Right eye -6). I currently use Rudy Project Rydon's with an RX insert, these are ok but I really want a set of plastic sunglasses that can take my perscription lenes. I am aware that it is possible to get metal frames, but I really want some cool looking sweat-proof plastic ones. Any ideas?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

sportsoptical.com

They can mill the lenses to your script and the fit right in... No inserts. Just lenses. These are all script.

coatings too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Just checked w/ my wife (the optometrist) and she said Rudy, Maui Jim and possibly Nike can all do it- once you get past -6 you'll start having problems and the only other issue would be astigmatism- otherwise those brands should be able to work-- rudy project and nike use the same lab, that's why she figured nike could probably do it as well.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Most of my poor eye sight is attributed to astigmatism. From what I understand astigmatism affects your vision in low light more than anything. So if you are about crusing around on your road bike in bright sunny skies not need to read small road signs in the dark you should be able to get away with having no astigmatism.

I have -1.25 one eye, and +1.50 the other one with astigmatism in both. I can get by without glasses until I start to get a headache. I know when the sun starts to set when I'm driving a car I can't read the street names anymore.

Also I had a pair of fancy oakleys made with Rx lens. If you looked anywhere else out of the lens other than dead straight it looked weird. The curve of the lens makes it odd. Maybe some labs can do it better than others... but the ones I had made didn't work out, so I remounted the original non Rx lens and gave the glasses to my gf.

audiojan

by audiojan

I had the same issues as you do... My eyesight was even worse though with left:-8.75, right:-8.25 with mild astigmatism to boot...

After doing some calculations, I realized that the cost of lasik (at a very reputable doctor, not one of those roadside-billboard-cheap-as-hell-probably-ex-automechanics) was about what I spent in two years on contacts, fluids, glasses, etc. Payback time wasn´t long...

Now, two years later, I couldn´t be happier. Lasik was probably the best cyclinginvestment I´ve done.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Snick

by Snick

I would also highly suggest Sports Optical. Brett, the owner, is a big supporter of local Colorado racing and a good guy. More importantly, he's a craftsman who does amazing work and can grind lenses that fit standard frames, can accommodate the most severe correction needs, and look cooler than stock. His work is far superior to the add-on inserts offered by many of the big sunglass makers, Rudy Project, Smith, etc.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

audiojan wrote:I had the same issues as you do... My eyesight was even worse though with left:-8.75, right:-8.25 with mild astigmatism to boot...

After doing some calculations, I realized that the cost of lasik (at a very reputable doctor, not one of those roadside-billboard-cheap-as-hell-probably-ex-automechanics) was about what I spent in two years on contacts, fluids, glasses, etc. Payback time wasn´t long...

Now, two years later, I couldn´t be happier. Lasik was probably the best cyclinginvestment I´ve done.

Were you able to get perfect vision back with the laser treatment? A friend of my was like you... heavy perscription... but the best they could get for him was -1.00 and -1.25 so he still wears glasses sometimes.

I want to go fix my too, but i'm already at around the 1.XXX range so I'm not sure it's even possible to do get better.

audiojan

by audiojan

Yes, glad to say, I have perfect vision after the Lasik. Had about 1 week worth of light sensitivity, but after that nothing but great vision (and no glasses!!!!).

But it is definately worth investigating the person doing the Lasik as they are not all equal... If you are in NJ, I would highly recommend Dr. Freund in Fair Lawn, NJ.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

DC41

by DC41

audiojan wrote:Now, two years later, I couldn´t be happier. Lasik was probably the best cyclinginvestment I´ve done.

I had my eyes done last April to correct for near-sightedness and irregular astigmatism. So far so good, but I understand how some people are hesitant about Lasik. My biggest problem is that whenever I saved enough for the surgery, I usually spent it on a new frame or something bike related!

I too used Rydon's with the RX insert and thought they worked fine for what they were. But you're still looking through two layers of lense.

Let me know if you need another insert. I've got one laying around. :D
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

knh555

by knh555

I've got two sets of prescription Oakleys, one with a metal frame (clear lenses) and one with plastic. The plastic frame glasses have polarized lenses and I love them both for riding when I don't feel like putting in the contact lenses. Can't say I've weighed them yet though. ;)

alienator

by alienator

Cheers! wrote:Most of my poor eye sight is attributed to astigmatism. From what I understand astigmatism affects your vision in low light more than anything. So if you are about crusing around on your road bike in bright sunny skies not need to read small road signs in the dark you should be able to get away with having no astigmatism.

Yup. Astigmatism increases linearly as you move further out in your field of view. So, as light goes down and contrast gets worse, things start to looky bad pretty quickly in the center of your field of view.

I have astigmatism in both eyes, and my Sports Optical lenses treated it just fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Thanks for the advice guys it looks like Randi at SportsOptical can sort me out. It might be a Christmas gift to myself