HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:30 am 
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

Skunk wrote:
I heard that they're not distributing in the US anymore so their stuff is pretty hard to find. Cipo and Petacchi used to wear their stuff. The few places that still carry their stuff are still selling them for a decent amount of money. I really like the look of their Vertigo Model.

Are they worth their price, should I just get Oakleys?

IMO they are worth the money. I echo the sentiments of Maverick and Boonen concerning fogging and flexibility. The vents on the tops of the vertigo's prevent this more than on the stylus model (sorry Boonen).

They tend to be available from only a few cycling outlets as I think they prefer their distribution through opticians or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 pm 

I use rudy Ketyums and usually use the Impact X lenses, but I also have the clears and some grey-brown ones(not sure of the name)-they are great! They definantly werent cheap though, because they are perscription.

Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:41 am 

just bought used m-frames today and love em

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:27 am 

caution... Zero RH+ vertigos break easily.... but I did get a replacement pair from Alba Bici, and they are fine.

Image2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:35 am 

Rich_W wrote:
caution... Zero RH+ vertigos break easily.... but I did get a replacement pair from Alba Bici, and they are fine.

http://www.richweinstock.com/bikes/zero_rh1.jpg
http://www.richweinstock.com/bikes/zero_rh1.jpg

Crap, I just ordered the same pair. Did they just break from regular wear and tear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 am 

Skunk wrote:
Crap, I just ordered the same pair. Did they just break from regular wear and tear?

Sticking them in my helmet. Which I don't do anymore with these. I stick one temple down the back of my jersey collar.

Normally I ride specializes san remo in white... but I like the very dark blue zero lenses in very sunny conditions. also, they sit very close to your eyes in comparision to others. Last note on these... sunblock causes the paint to peel on the insides of the brows... not visable on the outside. But I recall it happened rather fast.

They're still fine, and I plan to keep using them for bright conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:23 am 

thepaceline.com article about the new Oakley Radars.

It's distinctly possible that Oakley's Steve Blick has THE most popular backpack at the Tour of California. It isn't just 'cause it's cool and black (and of course Oakley) but rather that it's chock full of the latest and greatest eyewear being handed out to their riders for use during the race. We caught up with Steve as he was making the rounds on the Disco bus, and he had a couple of cool new things to tell us about.

"On March 1st Oakley will be releasing a new eyewear line called Radar," he said from the start line in Sausalito. "It's a torque shield lens similar to the M Frame, with an aggressive racing design similar to the Racing Jacket. It's all about designing something with an attitude and ultimate peformance." Steve then unveiled a very special set of Radars, ones destined for the top race winners in the world. "If you're atop the Tour of California or the Tour de France, and races in between, you can look forward to owning a gold plated set of this amazing eyewear!"

You want a set of these? You gotta win BIG...

In addition to the looks and obvious performance, the Radar has an unseen advantage: a permanent Hydrophobic coating that is essentially an anti-smudge barrier that repels water, oil, etc. Check out the demo of what happens to a permanent marker when it's rubbed simultaneously on a standard lens and one that's got the new coating. Oakley will also sell an over-the-counter applicator that you can use on any eyewear and lasts for a couple of weeks per use.

And many of you have asked what's up with George Hincapie and him not wearing his signature Racing Jackets? "It's pretty simple, he's digging the new Radar and by being able to customize the color and lens scheme he can create a look that flows with his kit," Steve said. "He also really likes the Hydrophobic coating, and the good news is that the customization he's getting will be available to all of our customers. That way you can create your own look for whatever style you're going for."

- Very cool indeed, but nothing less than we would expect from the fine folks at Oakley!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:48 am 

Very cool, I might be warming up to the radars already. However, the new adidas evil eye called the evil eye climacool is pretty dang cool and I may be looking at a pair of these, just wish they had white:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/imgWrapp ... jpg&type=3

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ ... ?start=all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 am 

Those are blingedy. I wonder how much they will retail for, whether they're hingeless, and if they'll have various sized lens for different faces (i.e. sweep vs. hybrid-s).

I did notice that while nearly every Oakley-sponsored rider was wearing the Radar in the prologue TT, many riders were back to the M-Frames for Stage 1 and 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:19 am 

These are my normal glasses, I love them they are really comfortable and work well in all lighting. I don't like them for riding because they don't block the wind very well and the top of the frames are right in the line of sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:11 am 

Rich_W wrote:
Skunk wrote:

Sticking them in my helmet. Which I don't do anymore with these. I stick one temple down the back of my jersey collar.

Normally I ride specializes san remo in white... but I like the very dark blue zero lenses in very sunny conditions. also, they sit very close to your eyes in comparision to others. Last note on these... sunblock causes the paint to peel on the insides of the brows... not visable on the outside. But I recall it happened rather fast.

They're still fine, and I plan to keep using them for bright conditions.

I don't think it's the sun block rather the oils and sweat from the skin. This happens to my cheap $11 a pair shades that I ride with every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:00 am 

Rudy Kalyos...
and a pic of me in them (red lenses) because I never believe in how cool shades look in a catalog, they always look much different on a face!

http://lh3.google.com/image/peithy/RaI-re9bw4I/AAAAAAAAAFE/QSctrYc6R8Y/DSC_1941.JPG?imgmax=720

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:28 am 

Peith wrote:
Rudy Kalyos...
and a pic of me in them (red lenses) because I never believe in how cool shades look in a catalog, they always look much different on a face!

http://lh3.google.com/image/peithy/RaI-re9bw4I/AAAAAAAAAFE/QSctrYc6R8Y/DSC_1941.JPG?imgmax=720

Your picture doesnt work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:17 am 

Most sunglasses from major brands are all good these days with good lenses and good frames. Some companies have better warranty coverage than others if that matters to you as well. My recommendation to you is if you don't like changing your sunglasses every year when something new comes out, which is hard for some of us to do, is to just simply get what fits you best and has all the lens options that you want, and the option of a prescription clip if you need it.

In my optometry office, I sell Nike, Smith, Spy, Adidas, Oakley, and Rudy Project for sports eyewear, so I have access to all of these and have to deal with those companies on a regular basis. The best to deal with is Adidas and Oakley, but with all those choices I wear Rudy. I like their fit and lenses best, even though being in Canada they are the worst company to deal with (that may be different elsewhere).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:20 am 

Peith wrote:
Rudy Kalyos...

Okay, how about this? I really like these glasses, best Rudy's I've had (I've owned 5 now) and I think they look the best to boot :wink:

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:20 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next