Van for sleeping and cycling.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I’m in the UK.
Looking at spending around £5000 on a van to sleep in and transport my bike for one or two night stays.
Not interested in a camper as they’re silly money and I’m happy with mattress on the floor.
No need for all the seats, sinks etc that come in camper.
Has anyone made anything similar?
I’ve looked online and there are a few nice versions.

I’m really just looking for the perfect van. Not too big, not too small. Good on fuel. It can be super slow and basic I just need it to be reliable.

Sometimes you need to escape the wife and kids and have a couple of days riding and relaxing. This is the aim.

I spent summer 07 living in a 5 door 1992 Golf GTI so I’m good without creature comforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eins4eins

by eins4eins

My car is VW T5 transporter. Long wheelbase. Added insulation all around the walls. Used some carpet and stuff to make it cosy. Build a bed with storage space under it. Some other storage places as well. Driver and passenger seats are mounted on a console, so i could turn them around and use them for dinner with a foldable table.
Nothing fancy, but bretty much the perfect set up for me. I have all the things you need for minimalistic camping always in the car. Like sleeping stuff, some clothing, tableware, food, water, hygiene stuff and so. But it still rides like a normal car and makes for a good daily driver.

I use it for everything. 3-4 week trips to italy/spain/france, weekend trips or just traveling to races on the evening before so i can sleep longer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

This is a dream for any camping/cycling enthousiast, but that also makes them quite popular and expensive unfortunately.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

T5 for £5000.......
At that price it'd spend most of it's time being repaired or failing MOTs

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Whether this works for you is all about your attitude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXk3teJpzGU
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

rajMAN

by rajMAN

I watched this guy on Youtube convert a Nissan, he had no previous skills but did a very reasonable job in the end. I agree, campervans are just silly money - www.Vandemonium.co.uk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

rajMAN wrote:I watched this guy on Youtube convert a Nissan, he had no previous skills but did a very reasonable job in the end. I agree, campervans are just silly money - www.Vandemonium.co.uk
I’ll check it out now.
My wife an actually have (well she does) a 2020 Transporter that’s 4x4 with 200bhp. It’s her’s though and she uses it to take the little ones around.
Not sure £5000 would get me a decent Transporter.
I looked at the VW caddy.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Caddy.

Tugboat

by Tugboat

Seen some pretty cool Ford Transit homebuit, cycling specific conversions. Should be plenty of those on the used market in the UK.

Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Not sure if they were sold in the UK, but I have several friends in the US who own Honda Elements, and they swear by them. They're probably 15-16 years old, at this point, but they won't sell them. They can keep a bike, assembled, inside, and have space on the side for other things. You might be able to throw a sleeping bag or something in there, and try it out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

This is the back of my LWB crew cab Renault Trafic. Bought it for £3900 ply lined, then put a leisure battery, pressure washer, fridge and lights in. Put a VSR in to charge the battery.
Built a bed with storage underneath, and then a cupboard over the wheel arches.
It's now a perfectly comfy place to spend a few days in remote spots with one (fine) or two bikes (bit of a squeeze). Spent about another £600 fitting it up like this.

Should say I can keep wheels on with no problems at all, but front wheel out makes it a touch easier to manoeuvre with the doors closed!

I have 6 seats currently as I have two kids, but long-term the wife and I will convert a Renault Master with underslung LPG, water, diesel heater and solar, go the whole whack. We're thinking if we start with something decent it'll cost around £12k.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador