Action - pictures !

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

JamieL

by JamieL

Moved to Dubai and managed to get a team and a license within 3 weeks for the first race of the season.

XtremeDubai

Because of the heat the plan was to sit in as long as possible - managed 3.5km before i was off the front :roll:
XtremeDubai

With some really good defensive riding by my new team mates we got a big gap:
XtremeDubai

Not in this one but finally some of the other teams tried to bring us back. I think by this point we had 3 minutes so it was a bit late.
XtremeDubai

No pictures of the finish - came in 4th from a break of ...4. I'm really struggling to understand how my body is feeling in the heat. I felt fine towards the end but each time i attacked my HR would max out and the power would go. Strange to go from racing in Europe where my limiting factor was my lungs and legs to here where i'm hardly ever out of breath but can't do anywhere near the same power at the same HR.
Hopefully this will improve with a bit more time here and falling temperatures as winter approaches.

http://app.strava.com/activities/80443660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoo

by Stoo

Me and a guy I met on Thursday afternoon working together on a charity ride from London to Brussels. This was on the Calais to Bruges leg :)

Little bit of speed blur haha
'17 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - Rotor 3D+ P2Max - Zipp 900T/HED Jet 9+
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'15 Cannondale Super Six Evo HM - DA9000- DA9000 SRM - CC40C
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6800 - QuarQ DZero

by Weenie

Stoo

by Stoo

Yeah we built up some speed and skimmed across the surface!
'17 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - Rotor 3D+ P2Max - Zipp 900T/HED Jet 9+
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'15 Cannondale Super Six Evo HM - DA9000- DA9000 SRM - CC40C
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6800 - QuarQ DZero

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

A pic from todays race where I attacked to get in a breakaway that didn't last. It's me in the green/red

My team mate, who you can see in the background, later ended in the right breakaway and got 8th. We did the racing with the best ladies in Denmark today, so I ended up protecting our female rider, blocking the wind for her, and reeling her competitors in when they attacked. A good day at the office. Also ended up with a personal best for max wattage with 1505 watts(2 months ago it was about 1300).

This is a pic from last weeks race where a breakaway with another team mate had gone. During the last lap the sky opened and we had a massive rainshower with heavy gusts of wind, and the temperature dropped from about 21 degrees to 13 degrees in a matter of minutes.

Before we made it to where this pic was taken, there was a roundabout that I didn't take very well(a combination of a worn rear tire and wet roads), so I came out of that in last place which would have equalled to a finish as 26th. In the last 300 meters I was able to sprint and make up 11 positions and was mm's from gaining 12 positions.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Kermithimself wrote:We did the racing with the best ladies in Denmark today, so I ended up protecting our female rider, blocking the wind for her, and reeling her competitors in when they attacked.
Pics, or it didn't happen.

Has she expressed her gratitude to you?

Kasparz

by Kasparz

In the breakaway with some guys

AGW

by AGW

That's awesome

shampoo

by shampoo

This is Charly Vives of Trek Fiera at the final Mardis Cyclistes of 2013.

The rest can be viewed at http://www.shampoo.ca/final-mardis-cycl ... st-6-2013/

This weekend is the World Cup race.. Hopefully I'll have a few to post.

J

GASer

by GASer

Nemea, Peloponese, PEPA Masters Cup

Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

welkman

by welkman

Max HR, First Cross race ever. Came in the top 1/2 so not bad :D

JamieL

by JamieL

More UAE racing this weekend - Pretty happy to find some hills this time.

Heading out towards Oman

A few small groups got away early on but generally everything stayed together for the first 30km

I managed to get away with the winner last week and a couple of other strong guys

That road was steeper than it looks...

Lower temperatures this week meant i had something in the tank at end for the sprint.

National team are back in the next couple of weeks and then the fun will start for all the expats...

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

cliffs notes race report:
- turned it up to 11
- finished first!

long version:
-started front row
-crashed near the end of the 1st lap , wayyy too hot into a corner. Then got passed by 2nd placed guy
- Followed second placed guy (now who is in 1st place) best i could for next 4 laps. He was throwing haymakers like crazy (really digging deep on the flats and pushing the limits!). On flats he was distancing me, and some how i was closing the gaps on the 2nd half of the course being technical. Might be my new tubular wheels?!?! (paging bwillkillperson)
- I just folowed until 1/4th of last lap to go, and after one of his last digs, I made a dig of my own and he gave up the ghost (last 3 minutes i rode solo). He told he was finished after that!

yea seriously...this guy was really strong!

new kit day is always fun too! www.ziptied.com

shampoo

by shampoo

From today's Grand Prix des Cyclistes de Montreal:

J

shampoo

by shampoo

One more from the Grand Prix des Cyclistes de Montreal... in, Montreal

You can see the rest here: http://bit.ly/165Qy4G

J

by Weenie

weptunus

by weptunus

I won my second race last sunday

It was a race in the centre of the city of Leuven. There was a pro race in the afternoon (grand prix jef 'poeske' scherens) but we could have a go on part of their track and the boulevard like finishing straight in the morning.
we started at 9:30 am for a crit race over about 45 km (29mi) on a 1600m lap, because of the length of the track only 50 participants where allowed.
2 local teams where represented with 10 or more riders, so if a break went with 1 rider of each team the peloton probably wouldn't get back to them.
following every attack of one of the riders of those 2 teams would have been a hard job so I wanted to anticipate and attacked the first lap, on a 300m long uphill-ish part of the track. I had a usable gap and continued my solo hoping some riders would make the leap. This took a while and becouse I have been in this kind of situation before multiple times, I knew I could keep up the pace longer then an hour, if I watched my HR closely (pretty high, 180 to 185 bpm) it went above 185 on the sloping part but I coulde recup a bit on the downhill part.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

My max advantage was 25 sec (after about 10km of racing) then it started to decrease (my avg. speed stayed the same during the whole race)
after about 20km of racing the gap was only 10 seconds, one rider, nationaly the absolute best one in our catogory, made the jump. By then my avarage speed was 44km/h (27mi/h).
Image Image Image

We started working together emediatly for the next 25km and our advantage started increasing again. Each about half a lap pulling. Going into the second to last lap we had a safe advantage of more then 1 minute to the peloton.
At the end of that lap, my companion attacked on the uphill(ish) part of the track and got a gap of 10 to 15 meters.
I gave it everything and knew I was better in the corners, on the straights the gap stayed the same, but in the corners I could get back to him. 1 lap later I was back onto his wheel, because my speed then was higher then his I tried an emediate counter attack which was answered fairly fast.
Going into the last straight (500m) I was on the front. since I can accelerate pretty fast from a slow speed but not being very powerfull to keep doing so it was best for me to start the sprint as late as possible. Looking back waiting for the other guy to start the sprint we approached the finishline, apperantly he was waiting for me to start the sprint as well and when I looked up I saw we where at only 50m from the line so I pushed and pulled my pedals as hard as I could, I got a small gap because the other guy was on a gear to big and by the time he gathered some speed, was back onto my wheel and tried to pass me I crossed the line first :D the final avg speed was 43.9km/h
Image Image Image Image
here's the strava file of the race: http://www.strava.com/activities/82631979

I'm very happy with this victory, although the 1st one was pretty special too (a solo of 41km) this one was against a much stronger pack of riders.
Espacially the guy who I beat for the win, finishes most of his races, Merckx style, minutes in front of the peloton.