if could only have one bike what would you buy

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i built up a firefly to a gravel spec 32 mm tires disc. i can use it everywhere. but truth be told i prefer road biking on my dedicated colnago. its the difference between using an all purpose tool versus one built for a specific task
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been riding my Crux gravel bike all winter. It's actually really fun to ride. With 40mm tires it's so comfortable. We've had some nice days so I switched to my C59 and my first impression was how uncomfortable and hard the ride was. I actually stopped and took 10 psi out of the tires!

The C59 though is so much faster. It's like a Porsche versus a big SUV with soft suspension. An interesting experiment would be faster wheels and tires on my Crux.

bilwit

by bilwit

No doubt a proper posh road bike is an absolute joy but in my case, there's no way in hell I'm taking it out in the pouring rain every day. I guess if I didn't ride those days then I could live with it just being the one bike but if that were the case then I would never be on the bike because it rains 58% of the year where I live.

Ti disc with full fenders would be the most practical to ride in harsh weather without being too much of a whale, rugged enough to not be too disappointed to crash it, portly enough to not really stand out when I'm just taking it on a short trip, and nice enough for proper cyclists to appreciate.

On a side note, Ti (or hand-built stuff in general I suppose) is extremely expensive for its little niche in the industry--you can get a full build CAAD12 disc with dura ace or a full build Orca disc with ultegra for the same price as just a Ti frame :x

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

If you only plan on staying on roads, i'd avoid the gravel bike. unless you plan on doing both there's little point
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

AJS914

by AJS914

bilwit wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 pm
No doubt a proper posh road bike is an absolute joy but in my case, there's no way in hell I'm taking it out in the pouring rain every day. I guess if I didn't ride those days then I could live with it just being the one bike but if that were the case then I would never be on the bike because it rains 58% of the year where I live.
One bike is just not practical for a serious rider. When I lived in northern CA, just having a single road bike was no problem but, of course, you would miss out on a lot of great mountain biking. It doesn't rain a lot in nor cal so you just don't ride when it rains. Some guys I raced with had a "winter bike" with a heavier wheelset but it was usually their old road bike and they trained on it to keep their new bike in nicer condition.

If you live in Seattle I'm sure you need the fenders or need to just ride the trainer half the time. I'm in Spokane and setting up a fendered winter bike would be a waste of time. We get a big dump of snow and that's it for winter riding unless you want to go for studs or unless the snow melts.

dim

by dim

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:51 pm
bilwit wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 pm
One bike is just not practical for a serious rider. When I lived in northern CA, just having a single road bike was no problem but, of course, you would miss out on a lot of great mountain biking. It doesn't rain a lot in nor cal so you just don't ride when it rains. Some guys I raced with had a "winter bike" with a heavier wheelset but it was usually their old road bike and they trained on it to keep their new bike in nicer condition.

If you live in Seattle I'm sure you need the fenders or need to just ride the trainer half the time. I'm in Spokane and setting up a fendered winter bike would be a waste of time. We get a big dump of snow and that's it for winter riding unless you want to go for studs or unless the snow melts.
best post of the day :thumbup:

I have 3 bikes and want 2 more (there's a bike for every occasion) .... I'm hoping to get one of these later this year:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Hellgate

by Hellgate

dim wrote:I will steer clear of ti ..... too many reports on forums of welds failing
I have to disagree with you here. I've seen numerous old Ti bikes on club rides.

Yes some very light Ti bikes cracked early on, but for the most part it's perhaps the most durable bike material.

My Davidson Ti is 15 years old, maybe 60,000 miles on it and is rock solid.

I'm replacing it this year with a 333fab Ti. Only because I want another road bike.

BTW, Davidson and Kullaway (333fab) are now in the same shop.

http://www.dkcb.us/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

khouse

by khouse

My thoughts are I don't want to buy another bike (a ti bike might actually last me 15-25 yrs), plus I also really don't have room and moving is not a option...buying a better bike paying more now will be a kick in the teeth but it'll prevent me from buying more bikes,

I was thinking about the bikesdirect Motobecane Le Champion Team bike, luckily I ride a 48/50 cm frame so it should be the lightest of what they carry...does any one know how much these frames weigh?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... .htm#gsize

bilwit

by bilwit

IMO if you're on a budget you should buy a used bike and then slowly upgrade from there. The cheap Motobecane stuff isn't worth it if you want something you'll want in the long run (in terms of being your pride and joy and only steed). You'd be surprised about what kind of bikes you'll find on ebay or your local craigslist and the like.

fa63

by fa63

If I could have only one bike, I would buy a Litespeed Gravel or similar; road like geometry with disc brakes and clearance for 700 X 45 mm or 27.5 X 2.1" MTB tires. Then I would get two sets of wheels.

khouse

by khouse

bilwit wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:59 am
IMO if you're on a budget you should buy a used bike and then slowly upgrade from there. The cheap Motobecane stuff isn't worth it if you want something you'll want in the long run (in terms of being your pride and joy and only steed). You'd be surprised about what kind of bikes you'll find on ebay or your local craigslist and the like.
is around $850 too much for a Motobecane ti frame?

I don't want to go the used/upgrade route, that's how I ended up with too many bikes random parts and what not which is why everything got tossed after a fight about how much space it took up in the tiny city 1 bedroom apartment. I used to see a lot of stuff in frame sizes that were slightly to large..52-56 which just won't fit

I don't know a ton about higher end bikes but know I'd only buy aluminum and wouldn't know enough to buy used carbon, for the most part I want a light bike (hopefully sub 17.5lbs for a 48 cm ). I know the basic group sets but don't know much about higher end parts such as differences in fork, crank, and wheel sets etc.

Conza

by Conza

The one I currently have...

But with DA rotors, calipers, and Dura Ace, plus power metre.

Nearly there.

=======

Can commute on it, wet weather if necessary, but mostly for riding hard and long.
It's all about the adventure :o .

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

a rob english

fa63

by fa63

bilwit wrote:The cheap Motobecane stuff isn't worth it if you want something you'll want in the long run (in terms of being your pride and joy and only steed).
While the name doesn’t have the cache of the premium brands, my Motobecane has been one of the best bikes I have owned in the last few years. This one is 5 years old now, but still looks and rides as good as it did on day one. I like it so much that I kept it over a Seven.

Here it is in gravel mode; long reach brakes allow using up to 40 mm tires. My only gripe is that the frame is not disc compatible.

mvcap

by mvcap

N + 0? What is the world coming to

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com