Poseur Test!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Which of the following identifies you?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Not a Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, nor wear fancy kit, and I'll drop your ass never the less
17%
Micro Poseur - I clearly have a name brand tall sock collection, but I don't ride or wear anything fancy
14%
Total Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, everything is stealth black, and I think I could be photographed for the Rapha website
35%
Pro Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, but I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
No votes
Super Pro Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, and I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
1%
Mega Pro Poseur - I ride a Pro Team bike, I wear Pro team Kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
3%
Mary Mother of God Super Pro Poseur - I have Chris Froome's bike, wear team Sky kits and hot damn, I (think :roll: ) I look the part
2%
Fancy Poseur - Any sub-set or combination of Poseurism - Your know who you are Buddy!!
22%
King of All Poseurs - All hail the King - Buy me a muffin at the Coffee Shop!! Make that Two Muffins for @Calnago
6%

Total votes: 88

TonyM

by TonyM

Mr.Gib wrote: So 53 x 27 feels easier than 39 x 20 (both 51 inches)? You got some data to back that up? I was always under the impression that gear inches equals gear inches and the only difference between big and small rings would be friction losses from cross chaining and ring and cog radius. I admit that I can't climb in 53 x 27, I can only manage 39 x 20 so perhaps I don't get where you are coming from. :P , regardless I appreciate your anecdote - you must be very strong and light.

You know, there used to be another guy on this board who use to go on at length about climbing in the big ring. If you can find him, perhaps he has some data.

But I wasn't interested peoples's climbing habits, I am just waiting for beeatnik to explain how big/big is better then the same size gear on the small ring.
+1

To me also gear inches are gear inches - unless you cross the chain or you run a small cog on your cassette...

Big-Big is only good if you want to avoid going for the smaller ring and just push harder for a short period of time. In races for an attack or for reacting to an attack for example.

To me « Pro » compared to « weekend warrior » or « poseur » is more big-small as the Pros really push the 53x11 @90-100 rpm many kilometers! Not the weekend warrior.

So here we are if you are a real poseur (and think it is Pro) then Big-Big is a must!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

beeatnik wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am
It's not better; it's just the style of strong riders who aren't anorexic or live by the Armstrong Extra High Cadence Gospel. Anyhoo, the only thing that truly matters is souplesse. Ya, that's PRO.
Nope, you said big/big pro. How is that not better? You said I didn't know what I was talking about - that means I am wrong. How am I wrong about saving bib/big for situational imperatives? Now your telling me big/big is the style of stronger riders? So does that means it's not pro? And now the diversion to souplesse :noidea: Why am I not surprised.

Beeatnik, not saying it applies to you 'cause I can see you are backing off your original position, but it's a certain sort that adopts an aberrant technique from an elite athlete hoping that simply doing so will elevate them regardless of whether said technique diminishes performance. What they fail to realize in their unscientific approach, is that these aberrant techniques they witnessed were only present as a result of error or a situational imperative, not because they were optimal. When this happens it is little more than a wannabe making sure they are doing what all the cool kids are doing - and that is the true definition of a poseur.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Gib, it's not an aberrant technique if one doesn't have any issues with equipment wear. The pros and the wealthy right? As you said, 51 is 51. How is either aberrant?

And the comment about ignorance related to your belief that the woman who rides the R5Ca is an idiot.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

beeatnik wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 am
Gib, it's not an aberrant technique if one doesn't have any issues with equipment wear. The pros and the wealthy right? As you said, 51 is 51. How is either aberrant?

And the comment about ignorance related to your belief that the woman who rides the R5Ca is an idiot.
Novice, I wrote she was a novice because the socks and the gearing. And a jest of sorts - never seen a novice on an R5Ca.

Yeah, 51 inches is 51 inches, unless of course friction makes one of them better. Big/big is aberrant or in better terminology the least desirable gear. If friction doesn't settle it, than the fact that the rider has nowhere to go if an easier gear is needed save the risky drop to the small ring should. Of course this is essentially common knowledge among all levels of cyclist. What is apparently uncommon (as in non-existent) is a rational explanation as to why some recreational cyclist are doing this and thinking it is the "pro" thing to do.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

I'll say this to end the debate. In the last 10 years I've had 3 chain drops and 2 of them were going from big/big to small/big. I don't know what I was thinking...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Mr.Gib wrote:
Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm
beeatnik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 am
Mr. Gib, to paraphrase someone's sig (relating to you, in fact), you don't know what you're talking about. Especially the part about cross chaining.
I am open minded, so educate me. Explain to me why 53 x 28 is better then 39 x 21 (both 49 inches).
I ride a single ring , both my bikes are now single 53t, x 25 the other is 27, .... For me it feels smoother in the big ring . It feels easier to turn over. I have the ability to turn it over quite easy on a climb so unless you can do that yourself then you wont understand where I’m coming from.
So 53 x 27 feels easier than 39 x 20 (both 51 inches)? You got some data to back that up? I was always under the impression that gear inches equals gear inches and the only difference between big and small rings would be friction losses from cross chaining and ring and cog radius. I admit that I can't climb in 53 x 27, I can only manage 39 x 20 so perhaps I don't get where you are coming from. Image , regardless I appreciate your anecdote - you must be very strong and light.

You know, there used to be another guy on this board who use to go on at length about climbing in the big ring. If you can find him, perhaps he has some data.

But I wasn't interested peoples's climbing habits, I am just waiting for beeatnik to explain how big/big is better then the same size gear on the small ring.
It's pointless arguing this point with Xena....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 am
Novice, I wrote she was a novice because the socks and the gearing. And a jest of sorts - never seen a novice on an R5Ca.

Yeah, 51 inches is 51 inches, unless of course friction makes one of them better. Big/big is aberrant or in better terminology the least desirable gear.
Wouldn't it be ironic if the person with the camera had said "Hey I want a photo of your bike, could you whack it in the big ring so it looks cool?" and this multi page argument was the result?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich_W

by Rich_W

:spam: Since this tread has totally gone completely askew (perhaps that was the intention. It was bound to blow)

This just in... While we've already proven that white bikes are for poseurs. Matte white bikes are just plain dumb. Just look at this bike cockeyed and you have grease stains that only come off with furniture polish or a white majic sponge. Self inflicted torture I tell you. #dumbass #nextbikewillbesolidblacktomatchmyraphakit

LionelB

by LionelB

I just remove my 39. I am just so strong that I was never using it anyway. So now I have a 53 11-25/11s setup. I am thinking of getting rid of the cassette though as these things are super heavy. Is there a campagnolo setup that one can use with a 3 speeds cog set ? let's say 11-12 and maybe 15 as a bailout gear when I am cresting Galibber a bit tired in April with walls of snow around me. It would be good if that 15 cog existing a pink to match my socks.

853guy

by 853guy

LionelB wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 pm
I just remove my 39. I am just so strong that I was never using it anyway. So now I have a 53 11-25/11s setup. I am thinking of getting rid of the cassette though as these things are super heavy. Is there a campagnolo setup that one can use with a 3 speeds cog set ? let's say 11-12 and maybe 15 as a bailout gear when I am cresting Galibber a bit tired in April with walls of snow around me. It would be good if that 15 cog existing a pink to match my socks.
Bien joué, monsieur, bien joué.

Best,

853guy

taztaylortaz

by taztaylortaz

Rich_W wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:23 pm
:spam: Since this tread has totally gone completely askew (perhaps that was the intention. It was bound to blow)

This just in... While we've already proven that white bikes are for poseurs. Matte white bikes are just plain dumb. Just look at this bike cockeyed and you have grease stains that only come off with furniture polish or a white majic sponge. Self inflicted torture I tell you. #dumbass #nextbikewillbesolidblacktomatchmyraphakit
Question: Are you still a poseur if the only reason you wear black Rapha and ride a black bike is to hide dirt? Asking for a friend..

btw - nice bike

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:39 am
Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm
beeatnik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 am
Mr. Gib, to paraphrase someone's sig (relating to you, in fact), you don't know what you're talking about. Especially the part about cross chaining.
I am open minded, so educate me. Explain to me why 53 x 28 is better then 39 x 21 (both 49 inches).
I ride a single ring , both my bikes are now single 53t, x 25 the other is 27, .... For me it feels smoother in the big ring . It feels easier to turn over. I have the ability to turn it over quite easy on a climb so unless you can do that yourself then you wont understand where I’m coming from.
So 53 x 27 feels easier than 39 x 20 (both 51 inches)? You got some data to back that up? I was always under the impression that gear inches equals gear inches and the only difference between big and small rings would be friction losses from cross chaining and ring and cog radius. I admit that I can't climb in 53 x 27, I can only manage 39 x 20 so perhaps I don't get where you are coming from. :P , regardless I appreciate your anecdote - you must be very strong and light.

I agree it’s not better if you find the small ring easier. Each to their own.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

taztaylortaz wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 pm
Question: Are you still a poseur if the only reason you wear black Rapha and ride a black bike is to hide dirt? Asking for a friend..
btw - nice bike
Your 'friend' :roll: is still a Total Poseur. You see, all poseurs are by nature, pretty ballerinas dressed in tights, so naturally they want to hide dirt or they would not be pretty. Why do you think I'm so frustrated with my pretty matte white bike?

TonyM

by TonyM

Rich_W wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm
taztaylortaz wrote:
btw - nice bike
Your 'friend' :roll: is still a Total Poseur. You see, all poseurs are by nature, pretty ballerinas dressed in tights, so naturally they want to hide dirt or they would not be pretty. Why do you think I'm so frustrated with my pretty matte white bike?
Definitely TRUE! :thumbup:

My wife is always saying that the only reason I don't do cyclocross is because I don't want a dirty bike nor being dirty when biking! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

853guy

by 853guy

Rich_W wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm
taztaylortaz wrote:
btw - nice bike
I hate - hate - getting dirty riding road, and almost never venture out when the roads are not dry (a second "winter" bike may solve that).

Conversely, when mountain biking, it wasn't a good ride unless I came back covered covered in trail debris, or had blood dripping down my shin.

Weird, right?

853guy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com