Poseur Test!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Which of the following identifies you?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Not a Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, nor wear fancy kit, and I'll drop your ass never the less
17%
Micro Poseur - I clearly have a name brand tall sock collection, but I don't ride or wear anything fancy
14%
Total Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, everything is stealth black, and I think I could be photographed for the Rapha website
35%
Pro Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, but I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
No votes
Super Pro Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, and I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
1%
Mega Pro Poseur - I ride a Pro Team bike, I wear Pro team Kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
3%
Mary Mother of God Super Pro Poseur - I have Chris Froome's bike, wear team Sky kits and hot damn, I (think :roll: ) I look the part
2%
Fancy Poseur - Any sub-set or combination of Poseurism - Your know who you are Buddy!!
22%
King of All Poseurs - All hail the King - Buy me a muffin at the Coffee Shop!! Make that Two Muffins for @Calnago
6%

Total votes: 88

Rich_W

by Rich_W

853guy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:20 pm
I hate - hate - getting dirty riding road, and almost never venture out when the roads are not dry (a second "winter" bike may solve that).

Conversely, when mountain biking, it wasn't a good ride unless I came back covered covered in trail debris, or had blood dripping down my shin.

Weird, right?

853guy
Nah, they call that cyclo-bi-polar disorder. Try an SSRI.

Before I retired from CX I've ridden and raced in the worst possible conditions. Mud, wet, hypothermic, horrible... but these days I can't stand getting dirty... even on the MTB. It doesn't stop me... I'll be out on the trail tomorrow and it will be a muck fest... but I do hate getting dirty.

Nobody likes a dirty ballerina... :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Unless it’s your girlfriend...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

853guy

by 853guy

Rich_W wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm
Nah, they call that cyclo-bi-polar disorder. Try an SSRI.

Before I retired from CX I've ridden and raced in the worst possible conditions. Mud, wet, hypothermic, horrible... but these days I can't stand getting dirty... even on the MTB. It doesn't stop me... I'll be out on the trail tomorrow and it will be a muck fest... but I do hate getting dirty.

Nobody likes a dirty ballerina... :smartass:
See I hate getting my PNS, Café du Cycliste, POC and Assos dirty - the Endura and FOX on the other hand, well, they're just plain asking for it.

853guy

TonyM

by TonyM

853guy wrote:
I hate - hate - getting dirty riding road, and almost never venture out when the roads are not dry (a second "winter" bike may solve that).

Conversely, when mountain biking, it wasn't a good ride unless I came back covered covered in trail debris, or had blood dripping down my shin.

Weird, right?

853guy
Here you are: You are bipolar :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

853guy

by 853guy

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm
853guy wrote:

Weird, right?

853guy
I should definitely, definitely not take up Cyclocross.

853guy

TonyM

by TonyM

853guy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 pm
TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm
853guy wrote:

Weird, right?

853guy
I should definitely, definitely not take up Cyclocross.

853guy
Although when I watch the local cyclocross races there seem to be quite a lot of poseur there... :lol:
That would be poseur and dirty :mrgreen:

DurianGrey

by DurianGrey

On further reflection there should be additional categories for young beard-havers and single-speeders. If you are both you unlock a bonus category

853guy

by 853guy

DurianGrey wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 pm
On further reflection there should be additional categories for young beard-havers and single-speeders. If you are both you unlock a bonus category
Oh, man...

I was a beard-having rigid single speeder.

Never rode a fixie though. Those things scared the bejebus out of me.

853guy

taztaylortaz

by taztaylortaz

Rich_W wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm
taztaylortaz wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 pm
Question: Are you still a poseur if the only reason you wear black Rapha and ride a black bike is to hide dirt? Asking for a friend..
btw - nice bike
Your 'friend' :roll: is still a Total Poseur. You see, all poseurs are by nature, pretty ballerinas dressed in tights, so naturally they want to hide dirt or they would not be pretty. Why do you think I'm so frustrated with my pretty matte white bike?
I ..uh, I mean 'he'... was afraid of that.

Wookski

by Wookski

Rapha is the ultimate “wannabe poseur” poseur brand. Too many sales have devalued their poseur status and made the brand accessible to most. Pro Poseurs wear PNS (I love the face that it reads “penis” when looked at briefly), Chpt3, Assos (campionissimo) or Search and State for the hipsters. Socks and shoes almost always white (socks to be disposed of immediately once they do not look fresh) but may be fluro only to channel Luca Paolini (must be combined with Assos zegho). The key to pro poseur status is perfect colour coordination and a bike that costs at least 10x the value of the outfit (extra points for custom). Nothing worse than seeing a wannabe poseur in the latest rapha kit on a $2k Giant.

TonyM

by TonyM

Wookski wrote:Rapha is the ultimate “wannabe poseur” poseur brand. Too many sales have devalued their poseur status and made the brand accessible to most. Pro Poseurs wear PNS (I love the face that it reads “penis” when looked at briefly), Chpt3, Assos (campionissimo) or Search and State for the hipsters. Socks and shoes almost always white (socks to be disposed of immediately once they do not look fresh) but may be fluro only to channel Luca Paolini (must be combined with Assos zegho). The key to pro poseur status is perfect colour coordination and a bike that costs at least 10x the value of the outfit (extra points for custom). Nothing worse than seeing a wannabe poseur in the latest rapha kit on a $2k Giant.
As the thread started I was convinced that I was NOT a poseur....

This post makes me think that I am however a Pro poseur....

Wearing Assos, having expensive bikes, using only white shoes, etc.....AND so crazy about having 200% white socks. I have so many new white socks ready in case so that I can change as soon as the one I wear are not any more 200% white...there is nothing more classy than pure white socks! And the ideal length should be classic; so not too low like the triathletes and not too high like Amstrong. Just classic classy.

I just read that post to my wife and she just smile at me and said that she doesn’t know what kind of poseur I am but I am definitely one....

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well... this thread certainly seems have to have lost its momentum...
Oh well... Muffins anyone?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Cal! For shame! One simply does not post a picture or any other reference of The Great Mario anywhere near a thread discussing all things poseur. The Cippo is the Platonic Ideal of the anti-poseur. And yes, I’d love to meet up for a ride sometime with a stop for espresso and muffins.
Last edited by Vagabond on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago e Campagnolo

Vagabond

by Vagabond

And to all you high sock lovers, please note the correct sock height in this photo of the most fashion concious cyclist ever to ride a bike. Additionally, take note of the white bar tape and black saddle. Now it’s time for this Assos bedecked, Campy equipped, Colnago riding uber poseur to head out for some base miles. It is forty-four degrees (7 Celsius to all my friends everywhere else in the world) and raining so I suppose I earn some sort of non-poseur credit for riding in that.

:beerchug:
Colnago e Campagnolo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Vagabond wrote:And to all you high sock lovers, please note the correct sock height in this photo of the most fashion concious cyclist ever to ride a bike.
Yepp! Well pointed out!!

It‘s even a little high but for Mario it is ok.

Heigh of the socks should be higher than triathletes and maximum like Mario Cippolini!

A Peter Sagan with 200% Italian blood and 200% about fashion! Loved it!!

I have to admit that I may revise my taste when we will have a US star like Mario Cipollini however.