2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it was pretty apparent they didn't want to chase - not couldn't but wouldn't. same goes for Kwiatkowski, who was shown getting up front and looking back like he was waiting for something. this passive kind of riding really puts me off and I wonder how DSs put up with that kind of behavior from their top riders?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

What a great win by Thomas De Gendt in Volta a Catalunya today. I really enjoy his always opportunistic way of riding. Strong legs, clever mind and a bit of luck, road riding just the way I like it :thumbup:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

^^^ Couldn't agree more... whenever you see him in a break, you knw he's gonna make something happen or completely exhaust himself, trying.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

Wookski

by Wookski

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

did you watch it ?... I saw the exact same as bilwit. Sagan saw K on his tail and let off the gas, probably not wanting a drag him up to Nibs. Nothing against Nibs... it was an awesome move that tooks guts.
Watched it live and although boring by the time they approached Via Roma the race changed and favoured the sprinters catching Nibali. Remember K was caught after attacking over the Poggio in 2016?

Similar thing happened with K & S at Strade Bianche.

Wookski

by Wookski

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm
it was pretty apparent they didn't want to chase - not couldn't but wouldn't. same goes for Kwiatkowski, who was shown getting up front and looking back like he was waiting for something. this passive kind of riding really puts me off and I wonder how DSs put up with that kind of behavior from their top riders?
The same DS that put up with having world champions and monument winners on their teams

boysa

by boysa

Cycling is closer to chess than it is to World's Strongest Man.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

bilwit

by bilwit

boysa wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:44 pm
Cycling is closer to chess than it is to World's Strongest Man.
That's what makes bunch races interesting. ITTs are closer to World's Strongest Man :wink:

853guy

by 853guy

"UCI president, David Lappartient, has confirmed that Froome’s case will not be heard before the race starts on 4 May. But two senior cycling sources have stated that ASO, the French company that runs the Tour, has more discretion on whom it registers for its event and has no intention of letting a rider race with a potential anti-doping violation hanging over him.

ASO is understood to be confident that it could resist any legal challenge from Team Sky as it has clauses in its rules about safeguarding the image of the race. This would be a bitter blow for Froome, who is chasing a fourth successive victory in cycling’s most famous race and a record-equalling fifth win in total."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... nisers-aso

maquisard

by maquisard

It is looking increasingly likely that Froome and Sky's strategy is to string out the case until after the Giro and Tour and then serve any ban (most likely 6-9 months) in the off season. If that happens it will be very very bad for cycling.

Froome should not be at the start of either the Giro or Tour. I actually quite like to see one of Sky's other GC riders (Thomas or Poels) have an opportunity at leadership.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Surely the ban would be back-dated to the Vuelta?

boysa

by boysa

Yes, any ban would be backdated to the point where he gave the sample. They can string it along, but ultimately it won't matter if the powers-that-be get their heads out of the sand and issue an honest ruling. We can look back to Contador's suspension as proof.

Calnago

by Calnago

So if the final result is that he gets a ban and it’s backdated to last years Vuelta, but he is allowed to ride this year’s Tour in the meantime and potentially wins it, then he’ll be stripped of the win, correct? That would really suck for the then “real winner for 2018” who had to stand in second spot the whole time and not revel in the glory of victory at the actual time of the event. It’s unfortunate that the decision making process seems to be so messed up.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

boysa

by boysa

Exactly. This is why the race organizers are so against him riding. Unfortunately, it is more of the same, usual garbage and there is no telling when we'll have resolution. Seriously, what could possibly take so long?

The one game Sky and Co. may be playing at is hoping Froome wins another GT (or two) and then no one will have the balls to issue a suspension that would strip him of two or possibly even three titles.

Calnago

by Calnago

The races are pretty much in the big sponsors pockets these days. They need the sponsors more than the sponsors need them. Lose a team like Sky being properly represented and so goes a bunch of $$$$, be it directly or indirectly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bilwit

by bilwit

boysa wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 am
Exactly. This is why the race organizers are so against him riding. Unfortunately, it is more of the same, usual garbage and there is no telling when we'll have resolution. Seriously, what could possibly take so long?

The one game Sky and Co. may be playing at is hoping Froome wins another GT (or two) and then no one will have the balls to issue a suspension that would strip him of two or possibly even three titles.
a battle between the highest paid lawyers possible

by Weenie