2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rondje

by Rondje

Nice insights from probably the most credible pro athlete with Asthma that is riding a bike:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/compton ... on-claims/

by Weenie

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Rondje wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 pm
Nice insights from probably the most credible pro athlete with Asthma that is riding a bike:
When was the last time you saw a WorldTour "asthmatic" DNF a race due to their condition?

I don't think I've ever seen it.

Rondje

by Rondje

LeDuke wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm
Rondje wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 pm
When was the last time you saw a WorldTour "asthmatic" DNF a race due to their condition?

I don't think I've ever seen it.
That is also why I said most credible, she dares to step out a race with real asthmatic problems because she simply can't ride. Now I know you can't compare a TDF with a cyclocross race but still, it's the highest level in her sport.

There are some world tour riders who refuse to take stuff tho. For example, Tim Wellens dropped out the TDF last year because he didn't want to use a TUE for his health problems.

sfo423

by sfo423

Or have not been enlightened to the magic of a good TUE? :noidea:
rainerhq wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:57 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm
You are right. I confused those two american's who can never seem to get on the podium. :-)
Maybe they are afraid of heights?

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

It’s a fact that in the Walsh book on Froome not once does it mention any kind of asthma.
You would think being a athlete that he would have mentioned his asthma and the effects it had in his ability to perform and participate in sport while he was growing up , but no ,it’s not mentioned . Must have forgotten he had it.

AJS914

by AJS914

ave wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm
I saw that Sagan program before too.

Just reread parts of it. Take this one:
Peter will do four to six repetitions of 10 minutes at 85 per cent of his maximum aerobic power — not his FTP but rather his aerobic threshold (FTP indicates the anaerobic one). This aerobic power equates to around 60 to 70 per cent of his FTP.
If I calculate the actual Watts with my own FTP, it means doing 10 minute long intervals of next to zero load. (I do my recovery at this level between my SST intervals.)
I know it's his november program, so I don't expect to see all out efforts, but I'd hardly call these interals.

(Or simply this 60-70% of FTP is bullshit)

It sounds like cycling tips got it wrong or it's just BS. You don't need to call it an interval to ride in zone 2, do you?

Or, maybe the coach's instructions are ride in zone 1 but spend this much time in zone 2 in the form on these "intervals". maybe it's easier to follow a number on the power meter?

Kjetil

by Kjetil

^I don't think Froome will be "lanced" (great verb by the way), more "berted", or "contadored" if you like. This salbutamol thing is closer to the clen case of AC than the blood vectoring of LA, Valverde, Ullrich, etc. etc.
Bianchi-Campagnolo

AJS914

by AJS914

I know the pro peloton is supposed to be cleaner but how are they not doing the BBs (blood bags)? Maybe they are being more conservative. It's still undetectable. You just need the resources to make it work. Reading Tyler Hamilton's book, one way that Armstrong was able to dope effectively was having access to private jets. Fly off for a transfusion and be back in 4 or 5 hours - no airline tickets or paper trail of having flown anywhere.

maquisard

by maquisard

Armstrong didn’t need private jets. The blood bags were smuggled in camper vans / mofos etc. I’ve heard US Postal’s doping being described as sophisticated but in Hamilton’s book the opposite comes across. Anyone could do it then and anyone can do it now, blood doping is more that likely still practiced but just in a more consistent way and with lower infused volumes.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

maquisard wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 am
Armstrong didn’t need private jets. The blood bags were smuggled in camper vans / mofos etc. I’ve heard US Postal’s doping being described as sophisticated but in Hamilton’s book the opposite comes across. Anyone could do it then and anyone can do it now, blood doping is more that likely still practiced but just in a more consistent way and with lower infused volumes.
I totally agree... even watching the documentary "Road to Paris" I felt like they were kind of just bumbling along. Not very scientific or tactical about their race tactics.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

AJS914

by AJS914

In Hamilton's book, one of his main points was that it was way easier for Armstrong to give blood when he could just fly off donate it, and then fly back. Hamilton had to fly commercial and it was much more difficult and much less under the radar with plane tickets, passport checks, etc. Yes, Ferrari did deliver the blood during the race in his RV.

I agree. It didn't sound all that sophisticated but Ferrari did it a lot better than Fuentes.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

The movie Icarus was really enlightening to see a much more detailed look at doping.... and I got the impression that we only got the tip of the iceberg. In "Icarus" at some point, after the first go-round of doping, the Dr. makes a comment like, "You were on the round floor and we left the lobby, but there are many floors to go up and now we know how your body responds." I'm not sure if that was word for word, but it was something like that... Unfortunately, the ish hit the fan in Russia at that point in the movie and he never got to push further. It seemed as if he was now going to be able to offer more methods to further "tune" the doping schedule and push the limits.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

zirxo

by zirxo

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 am
ave wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm
I saw that Sagan program before too.

Just reread parts of it. Take this one:
Peter will do four to six repetitions of 10 minutes at 85 per cent of his maximum aerobic power — not his FTP but rather his aerobic threshold (FTP indicates the anaerobic one). This aerobic power equates to around 60 to 70 per cent of his FTP.
If I calculate the actual Watts with my own FTP, it means doing 10 minute long intervals of next to zero load. (I do my recovery at this level between my SST intervals.)
I know it's his november program, so I don't expect to see all out efforts, but I'd hardly call these interals.

(Or simply this 60-70% of FTP is bullshit)

It sounds like cycling tips got it wrong or it's just BS. You don't need to call it an interval to ride in zone 2, do you?

Or, maybe the coach's instructions are ride in zone 1 but spend this much time in zone 2 in the form on these "intervals". maybe it's easier to follow a number on the power meter?
Most pros have a pretty high aerobic threshold so it's possible that it's at 70% of FTP. If he's riding the rest of the time in zone 1 then it could be called an interval I suppose.
Remember that the schedule is from the beginning of his winter training. It's really easy.

ooo

by ooo

@CrankAddictsRich, I can't finish watching movie, because it started with...
1) main hero most wanted race to win was some unknown "tdf imitation for amateur" event (looks like advertising for this event)
2) main hero lost first attempt to win race because di2 battery became low and FD stopped working
(technical support was unable to understand and fix this problem... and he still finished race using RD somehow)

Pimitive mistakes from the field of knowledge of this movie author significantly decrease authenticity
Last edited by ooo on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'

by Weenie

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

maquisard wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 am

What about micro dosing EPO. You can micro dose and the bio passport will show nothing.
I think most cyclist and endurance athletes will be micro dosing. The effects are the same but your not going to get caught. That’s going to be happening on a large scale and hardly ever gets a mention because it makes a mockery of the testing .

There is still something else though going on with Sky. Other teams have had busted riders yet none can match the performance of Sky or the GB track team. Armstrong was the strongest rider and best responder at postal, none of his team mates could match his performance yet at Sky we have seen Froome being wheel sucked up mountains and sometimes to the finishing line by a stronger team mate ( like at the vuelta chasing down Bertie) who has been killing it at the front or near the front for a lot of km’s. What ever they are doing it is definitely more sophisticated than the other teams.
Sport is drug wars.