2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

dolophonic

by dolophonic

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 am
I'll catch some flack but:

Colombia Oro y Paz should be WorldTour, and TDU should probably drop a level. Great courses, and amazing fans at Oro y Paz. TDU is pretty boring, and it's a lot further away from Europe than Colombia.

Yes, I realize race classification is a function of funding for the race. But man, the fans in Colombia deserve big bike races. Incredibly supportive country. Reminded me of the finish of the TT at Worlds in Norway. Fans 5 or 10 deep for the last two kilometers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yes .. but possibly Vuelta Colombia should have got the attention .. it has the history and route.
Oro y Paz route is going to be different every year which could be interesting. Regardless great race happy to see it happen.

by Weenie

KWalker

by KWalker

TDU is perhaps the most boring WT race. At least the Middle East races require some tactics and specialization. TDU is one hill and a bunch of forgettable stages that only a few seem to treat as a true test piece.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm
TDU is perhaps the most boring WT race. At least the Middle East races require some tactics and specialization. TDU is one hill and a bunch of forgettable stages that only a few seem to treat as a true test piece.
not arguing against your classification of TDU... but I can't agree that any of the middle east races are any better. Quite literally, Dubai Tour is exactly the same as TDU. I guess there is always the threat of the wind in the middle east races, but if my memory serves me correct, that wind hasn't proven to be as common as we'd all like it to be. I, honestly, can't remember the wind really effecting any of the middle east races in the last 3-4 years. The WC race is the exception though... there were definitely some breaks in that race and it was more exciting than I thought it was going to, going in.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

AJS914

by AJS914

Teams seem to like the TDU though. Maybe they go down there and spend some time training in the sun? Some big names show up. It sounded like the pavillion concept (where the mechanics and teams were all set up in one place) was well received.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 am
Teams seem to like the TDU though. Maybe they go down there and spend some time training in the sun? Some big names show up. It sounded like the pavillion concept (where the mechanics and teams were all set up in one place) was well received.
I think you've nailed it... the TDU organizers make it very easy for the teams. Everyone stays in one hotel for the week. The pavilion is always there which is good for teams and fans.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

AJS914 wrote:Teams seem to like the TDU though. Maybe they go down there and spend some time training in the sun? Some big names show up. It sounded like the pavillion concept (where the mechanics and teams were all set up in one place) was well received.
I think it is a combination of factors, as you mention at tdu teams stay in the same hotel for the whole race. Also there is now a block of races close together that help make it worth the trip TDU, Cadel Great Ocean Road Race, "criterium" on the F1 circuit and Herald Sun Tour and.......it's summer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Can we expect any full length Youtube uploads of the Ruta Del Sol? First race of the season that has my interest. Want to see if Landa can deliver the hype..

Or get slayed like a petulant peasant 8)

bilwit

by bilwit

Shrike wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm
Can we expect any full length Youtube uploads of the Ruta Del Sol? First race of the season that has my interest. Want to see if Landa can deliver the hype..

Full length.. maybe, maybe not. It's a toss up whether the organizers actively flag content like with bigger races. I think they allow the last few KMs though. If you want to see the whole thing I think it's easier to catch a live stream (but might be tricky depending on what timezone you're in and your priorities during the race).

TonyM

by TonyM

Vital Concept wins the first stage of the Tour of Oman !
Coquard 1st. Cavendish 2nd.

I hope for Vital concept that they will have great races (as they haven't been invited on the Tour de France or Paris Nice)...

Rondje

by Rondje

WTF did I just read?
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/comment ... kepticism/
This is by far the most far fledged article/opinion piece I've ever read. Blaming the Russians for the skepticism? Come on, the cycling world has always been skeptic since all the doping cases, this has nothing to do with Russian hackers.

Shrike

by Shrike

Rondje wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am
WTF did I just read?
This is by far the most far fledged article/opinion piece I've ever read. Blaming the Russians for the skepticism? Come on, the cycling world has always been skeptic since all the doping cases, this has nothing to do with Russian hackers.
In the UK at least the Fancy Bears leak kicked everything off and put Sky right and centre of public skepticism. It directly led to a long running parliamentary enquiry. It was huge. Maybe being in the Netherlands you aren't aware of how big a deal that Fancy Bears leak was over here. It really shook everything up. It dominated sports news and put Sky and Wiggins on the front pages of the news week in week out for the best part of a year. Wiggins was out arguing with reporters in front of his home, caught on video. It was dirty tabloid bait as well as highbrow finger wagging.

The circle jerk skepticism of course was around before, but it was nothing that could have harmed Sky in real terms. That is the crucial point that perhaps the article should point out strongly. Fancy Bears got close to taking down Brailsford. Wiggins has been permanently damaged. The Sky brand and incestuous link to British Cycling is now considered toxic publicly.

The article itself was well balanced, very reasonable. Not sure what the strong reaction to it is about. If anything it didn't go deep enough into the after-effects.
Last edited by Shrike on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wookski

by Wookski

Rondje wrote:
WTF did I just read?
Leave the investigative journalism to the journalists- poorly written junk.

Shrike

by Shrike

Wookski wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:51 am
Rondje wrote:
WTF did I just read?
Leave the investigative journalism to the journalists- poorly written junk.
It wasn't investigate journalism though, it was merely a casual observation. It's actually titled ' Commentary'.

Again, not sure which parts you guys are struggling with, all of it looks factual.

Snabb

by Snabb

Shrike wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Landa will take off on stage 2.

#Freelanda
Ride lots!

Rondje

by Rondje

Shrike wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:49 am
Rondje wrote:
WTF did I just read?
In the UK at least the Fancy Bears leak kicked everything off and put Sky right and centre of public skepticism. It directly led to a long running parliamentary enquiry. It was huge. Maybe being in the Netherlands you aren't aware of how big a deal that Fancy Bears leak was over here. It really shook everything up. It dominated sports news and put Sky and Wiggins on the front pages of the news week in week out for the best part of a year. Wiggins was out arguing with reporters in front of his home, caught on video. It was dirty tabloid bait as well as highbrow finger wagging.

The circle jerk skepticism of course was around before, but it was nothing that could have harmed Sky in real terms. That is the crucial point that perhaps the article should point out strongly. Fancy Bears got close to taking down Brailsford. Wiggins has been permanently damaged. The Sky brand and incestuous link to British Cycling is now considered toxic publicly.

The article itself was well balanced, very reasonable. Not sure what the strong reaction to it is about. If anything it didn't go deep enough into the after-effects.

Maybe it depends on where you live, but I think in most countries outside of the UK, people who follow cycling where well aware that Sky business wasn't all that clean and transparent as they claimed it to be. Froome got boo'ed at way before that information was leaked and Sky wasn't particularly the most liked team.

My strong reaction isn't necessarily about how it is written, but I simply disagree that the Russians are to blame for Froome's possible downfall. Any rider who would get caught like Froome while being so successful would be in discredit. Especially a rider who came out of nowhere to dominate the GT side of the sport like he did. People who follow cycling long enough know when it looks to good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.

by Weenie