2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The Cav whines when he wins too.

by Weenie

wingguy

by wingguy

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 pm
That's a garbage mechanic. I've seen Nino Schurter's take a wheel off and throw one on in 16 seconds, from foot down in the pit to riding again.
Garbage mechanic? That is pretty harsh man. Are you a Pro tour mechanic that is in a position to judge others' performance? Do you, or have you ever worked as a team mechanic or at a service course at any level? If so, opine away. If not, give the guy a break man.
Agreed. I've seen damn near every other team in the XC pits royally balls up a wheel change or chain replacement at some point, and I highly doubt that Nino has the only competent mechanic in the cross country world :wink:

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

IIRC, the biggest change between the "new" S5 compared to the old was in the cockpit area. The also stiffened up the front end but the silly looking Cervelo bars was the biggest change.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

bilwit wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 pm
about the s5, you would think that Cervelo would have something pretty special in the works
I doubt, but I hope ;)

Haydn

by Haydn

Those bars look cool from that angle

LeDuke

by LeDuke

wheelbuilder wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:13 pm
ooo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REHTAltztQ#t=16m10s
rear disc wheel change for viviani duabi tour stage 2

16:10 (22.8km to go) foot on the ground
17:04 (22.1km to go) finished, took off
That's a garbage mechanic. I've seen Nino Schurter's take a wheel off and throw one on in 16 seconds, from foot down in the pit to riding again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Garbage mechanic? That is pretty harsh man. Are you a Pro tour mechanic that is in a position to judge others' performance? Do you, or have you ever worked as a team mechanic or at a service course at any level? If so, opine away. If not, give the guy a break man.
Are you saying that I have to be a professional mechanic to judge his competency at this task? I can hop off my own bike and change a disc wheel in much less time.

For the mechanic's sake, I'll clarify. That was a garbage wheel change. His competency in other mechanical endeavours is unknown, but presumed adequate.

wingguy

by wingguy

bearsdidit wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 pm
IIRC, the biggest change between the "new" S5 compared to the old was in the cockpit area. The also stiffened up the front end but the silly looking Cervelo bars was the biggest change.
The bars were the biggest aero change, and of course the geometry (fit wise). But apart from the silhouette looking almost the same, when you check the details almost every part of the frame is quite different. Deeper fork, wider, more kammtail-ish downtube all the way along, very different BB, chainstays and dropout area, different cable routing, different layup.... seatstays and toptube are about the same though! Most of that was about making it better at being a conventional bike, but I could definitely believe there was a slight aero benefit from the fork and DT - especially with a bottle cage on.

pastronef

by pastronef

bearsdidit wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 pm

DiData never used those bars. the new S5 has a new seatpost, and not a straight fork anymore (it bends a bit)

petepeterson

by petepeterson

If Cav didn't give interesting comments we'd have to talk about Froome / Sky all the time.

ave

by ave

The original S5 and the current model is quite different! Fork is the most obvious even from pictures, but in real life there are significant differences in other places too.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

pastronef wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 pm
the new S5 has a new seatpost, and not a straight fork anymore (it bends a bit)
the seatpost was changed twice it seems. once in 2015 and then again to the weirder looking seatpost that was more comfortable

mrgray

by mrgray

watch with red band (can u pls post a photo again) might be a polar. i noted that CX guy sven nys had a killer watch and it was a polar https://twitter.com/sven_nys/status/324203116343988224

maybe this one?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Have any mags done any aero test with the 3T Strada?

wingguy

by wingguy

LeDuke wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm
For the mechanic's sake, I'll clarify. That was a garbage wheel change. His competency in other mechanical endeavours is unknown, but presumed adequate.
And in the interests of balance - Groenewegen's take on the issues with his rm brake bike today... ""It was my goal to win the Dubai Tour but now it's really difficult. Maybe we'll see on the last day. It's the fault of my mechanics," he said, revealing he had problems with the bottom bracket of both his bikes. "My second bike was *f##k* too, that's why I changed it. It was the bottom bracket. It was completely *f##k*!""

Tense times in the hotel tonight! :shock: :lol:

Wookski

by Wookski

wingguy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 am
LeDuke wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm
And in the interests of balance - Groenewegen's take on the issues with his rm brake bike today... ""It was my goal to win the Dubai Tour but now it's really difficult. Maybe we'll see on the last day. It's the fault of my mechanics," he said, revealing he had problems with the bottom bracket of both his bikes. "My second bike was *f##k* too, that's why I changed it. It was the bottom bracket. It was completely *f##k*!""

Tense times in the hotel tonight! :shock: :lol:
Too busy locked in the bus getting high on mastik!

by Weenie