2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

petepeterson

by petepeterson

My buddy worked as a bike mech at a discount sporting goods store... did all his work with a cordless drill LOL!!!

Cal basically made my post about the aquablue slam master Blythe DQ Disc issue. Anyone who has ridden in a bunch or team car in a race with a proper UCI caravan understands why there needs to be protocol on how team cars behave for safety.

A PRO cyclist doing 500 Watts for 10 minutes RESTED is not not normal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

bilwit wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 pm
Tejay Van Garderen must have some really long femurs. When he's sitting on the bike he doesn't look like he's far behind the BB judging by his knee/shin angle and his knee's location over the pedal.
I don't think that was Tejay's bike.. he's never been a national champ
Taylor Phinney's bike

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Re: Tim Wellen's graph and data.

Seems a bit odd to me that the graph shows him at 513w for 10min and what appears to be around ~360w for 20min, 300w for 30min and well under 300w for 60min.

I understand that he probably doesn't do many full gas 60min solo efforts at this time of year, but if he's doing 513w for 10min, a relatively moderate tempo ride for him would have him at 300w+ for a significant duration.

wingguy

by wingguy

petepeterson wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 pm
Cal basically made my post about the aquablue slam master Blythe DQ Disc issue. Anyone who has ridden in a bunch or team car in a race with a proper UCI caravan understands why there needs to be protocol on how team cars behave for safety.
Of course there does - but the car/caravan/peloton positioning and safety aspect of it wasn't the reason for the DQ - that part was specifically OKd by the race director.

wingguy

by wingguy

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 am
Yes I understand Effective angles,
Ok cool. You have to admit though that your last post read like you really didn't. I had no way of knowing that you simply expressed yourself poorly rather than didn't understand the geometry.

Also not really sure how you think that pointing out "higher = further back" wasn't equally condescending but hey ho, no hard feelings :thumbup:
and even so 760mm isn't particularly high with the post looking long on all of the bikes due to the stand over height. So even if it pulls back to around 73° it's still clamped on the nose of the rails.
It's still enough to make a difference, and it's still a 0 offset post.

wingguy

by wingguy

Wookski wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 am
Kwiato showing some early season form as usual- looking strong.
I know he rides smooth all the time, but it was genuinely scary how controlled he looked while blowing the race apart on that climb. Especially seeing the riders chasing 2nd and 3rd turning themselves inside out on the run for the line.

Looks like he'll win some more races this spring :shock:

Rondje

by Rondje

TurboKoo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm
Rondje wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 am

At the worlds, all riders were given permission to change from the ground. Normally isn't allowed either, you can see that in mountain TT's where riders swap bikes at the top of the climb, they also come from the car. The problem I see in this rule is. the bike must come from the car, while if I read it correctly, you can't put a fully equipped bike on top of the car. So what did the jury expect to happen when they gave them permission?

From jury standpoint I can understand they DQ'ed him, else people might abuse this new "rule" to do a fast bike swap in the classics for example where positioning is key.

Why Cancellara was not DQ'd in Ronde?
Good question, suppose i don't know the rules good enough :p

Rondje

by Rondje

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Seems a bit odd to me that the graph shows him at 513w for 10min and what appears to be around ~360w for 20min, 300w for 30min and well under 300w for 60min.

I understand that he probably doesn't do many full gas 60min solo efforts at this time of year, but if he's doing 513w for 10min, a relatively moderate tempo ride for him would have him at 300w+ for a significant duration.
Maybe it was a 10min test? so he went in recovery after the 10 min.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

wingguy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:39 pm
Wookski wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 am
Kwiato showing some early season form as usual- looking strong.
I know he rides smooth all the time, but it was genuinely scary how controlled he looked while blowing the race apart on that climb. Especially seeing the riders chasing 2nd and 3rd turning themselves inside out on the run for the line.

Looks like he'll win some more races this spring :shock:
I know it was a relatively short climb, but Kung's ride on those steep gradients was particularly impressive for a big TT guy. Definitely didn't imagine him getting 4th place on that climb, only 13 seconds back of Kwiato. Obviously he's a huge talent but I just wasn't expecting that result from him on that terrain.

And yeah, Kwiato was amazing. No hint of fatigue; no rocking and rolling, no hunched shoulders, even his breathing seemed relatively relaxed. Strong core and almost metronomic pedaling. Never really attacked, just shifted down a gear and rode people off his wheel with a hard tempo. Stood up briefly to catch Cimolai, and that was about it.

I love watching him race a bicycle. It would be great to see him knock out another Strade Bianchi or MSR this year.

wingguy

by wingguy

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 pm
I love watching him race a bicycle. It would be great to see him knock out another Strade Bianchi or MSR this year.
Would not bet against it. Heck, he'll be a huge contender at Amstel and Liege again in this form, and could he try Flanders as well? Form like that he almost has to win a monument or the season will be a failure :lol:

Rob81

by Rob81

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm

as already pointed out, MMP curve of a single ride with a single MMP10 effort. Not an MMP curve collecting data from multiple rides.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bilwit wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 pm
Tejay Van Garderen must have some really long femurs. When he's sitting on the bike he doesn't look like he's far behind the BB judging by his knee/shin angle and his knee's location over the pedal.
I don't think that was Tejay's bike.. he's never been a national champ
Yup - it was Tejay. For the 2014 TdF BMC put the national flags of the riders on their frames in the fashion you see on this one. And the dossard number ending in '1' is always given to the nominated team leader for the Tour and, until Richie Porte arrived in 2016, TVG was that for BMC. Definitely Tejay's bike from the TdF in 2014. He carried number '141' in that Tour.

Taylor Phinney, though a long time BMC rider, didn't make his debut in the Tour until 2017, when he was riding for Cannondale.

ave

by ave

Maybe Cancellara wasn't DQ because no commissaire saw that. :)

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

wingguy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm
LeDuke wrote:
Would not bet against it. Heck, he'll be a huge contender at Amstel and Liege again in this form, and could he try Flanders as well? Form like that he almost has to win a monument or the season will be a failure :lol:
The only problem Kwia has, is that he’s a Sky rider. Most of the people don’t want Sky racing at all with all their tricks, lies, medications and the Froome case. In Holland we even didn’t cheer when Poels won a stage in Ruta del Salbutamol.
I guess they have no idea how much harm they do to their own popularity (and cycling in general).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

Daniel1975 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 am
wingguy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm
LeDuke wrote:
The only problem Kwia has, is that he’s a Sky rider. Most of the people don’t want Sky racing at all with all their tricks, lies, medications and the Froome case. In Holland we even didn’t cheer when Poels won a stage in Ruta del Salbutamol.
I guess they have no idea how much harm they do to their own popularity (and cycling in general).
Really? I’m not a Sky fan but remove boring Froome and would anyone really care about a little asthma medication here and there?