2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spartan

by spartan

no Aquablue. damn really wanted to see a 1x 3T Strada dealt with high mountains in a grand tour.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

new Enve stem looks like it's going to be heavy.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Agreed on the Bardiani - I mean I know it doesn't get much more Italian than this team but it would be nice to see a missed invite based alone on their Giro positives :|

Would have enjoyed Aquablue as well.
Just ride ..

bilwit

by bilwit

ave wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 pm
He clearly doesn't win because of his tactics (which are not bad!), but because of his power/weight.
That's what's so awesome about it, it's an open challenge to everyone in the peleton to see who's stronger and the answer every time is no one 8) -- granted, the field isn't exactly stacked with prime GC riders but there are still many impressive pure climbers there

ooo

by ooo

Aquablue riders will be changing bikes with different size front chainrings instead of using front derailleur?
'

maquisard

by maquisard

#Progress the 3T way

wingguy

by wingguy

ooo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 pm
Aquablue riders will be changing bikes with different size front chainrings instead of using front derailleur?
To be fair the range they'll be riding with is more than enough for all but the extreme steep mountain days. Using a 44t ring with the 9/32 cassette gives a damn near identical range to a 54/39 with an 11/28. If they use the 9-36 it's exactly the same low gear as a 39 ring and 32 cog. Plenty of GC riders still don't go that low for the alps and pyrenees. Obviously you still need to adapt to some bigger ratio jumps which I don't really like the sound of, but plenty of people seem to think it's fine.

If Aquablue are back at the Vuelta this year with its >25% summit finishes in northern Spain it could get tricky though. Also curious to see whose TT bikes they'll be rebadging this year.

Willier

by Willier

Cunego' s plan was to retire at the end of a Giro...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Ex Pros

https://youtu.be/0I-YsVzh6rY

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

ave

by ave

44x9!! Okay, thinking out of the box is sometimes useful, but I don't want this to get popular.

mentok

by mentok

wingguy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 pm
Obviously you still need to adapt to some bigger ratio jumps which I don't really like the sound of, but plenty of people seem to think it's fine.
yeah, you absolutely get used to it. I ride a 50 up front and an 11-42 rear and I miss the 12t sometimes, but that's about it. I put ~300km a week into that bike and I'm totally in sync with it.

Honestly more concerned for them about possible chain drops - I run NW but no clutch and I still get the occasional drop.

TonyM

by TonyM

I would have love to see the Aquablue because of the 3T 1x

TonyM

by TonyM

Why did Porte not try to get the GC jersey on the last stage? For example in going on an intermediate sprint? Gentleman agreement with Mitchelton-Scott/ Impey?

nickl

by nickl

TonyM wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:34 am
Why did Porte not try to get the GC jersey on the last stage? For example in going on an intermediate sprint? Gentleman agreement with Mitchelton-Scott/ Impey?
Did you see the stage? The break soaked up almost all the bonuses, and Porte is never going to beat Ewan or Impey in a sprint for the 3rd place time bonus in an intermediate sprint (and you can be sure Mitchelton would have been all over it if he'd tried).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

nickl wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:34 am
Did you see the stage? The break soaked up almost all the bonuses, and Porte is never going to beat Ewan or Impey in a sprint for the 3rd place time bonus in an intermediate sprint (and you can be sure Mitchelton would have been all over it if he'd tried).
No I just read a short report before sleeping (very different time zone than Australia...) mentioning that Porte did not go for the time bonuses and I wondered why BMC would not have tried to get a break away with Porte or something else to get him one tiny time bonus...

I will watch the stage today for sure...