2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

boysa wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:44 pm
If two athletes receive lengthy suspensions and continue to ride during their appeals, why should one have his subsequent results stand and not the other? Honest question.
Because the rules are intended to allow an athlete time to explain why they ended up with too much of a specified substance in their system. It’s not an appeal, as he has it yet officially been sanctioned.

For a banned substance the sanction is automatic, the test itself is the finding of guilt. The rules aren’t intended to allow a rider to do what Contador did and race on in the meantime.

boysa

by boysa

Ok, that makes sense. I would ask, however, what matters more: what the rules intend to do or what they actually do? Contador was allowed to race, and it resulted in a terrible scenario. I would argue we are heading for an even worse situation.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

boysa wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:54 pm
Ok, that makes sense. I would ask, however, what matters more: what the rules intend to do or what they actually do? Contador was allowed to race, and it resulted in a terrible scenario. I would argue we are heading for an even worse situation.
In that case isn't it incumbent upon the authorities who both write and enforce the rules to do a better job at it, especially when they had the Contador example to guide them? They have had over six years since the Contador situation happened. What have they done in the mean time to ensure that there wasn't a repeat of it? Obviously they did nothing and they are now busy pointing fingers at all of the other parties involved.

Like it or not, Froome and Sky are merely doing what the rules allow them to do. You may not like, and I don't like it but, in a legal sense as far as the WADA and UCI rules, they are doing nothing wrong. The one party who can be shown to have done something in contravention of the rules is the UCI itself who allowed news of Froome's AAF to leak out and become public knowledge. The athlete is entitled to confidentiality in AAF matters until the issue is fully adjudicated. Froome and Sky, should they win, will have good grounds to sue the heck out of the UCI for damage to their reputations.

This all stinks but the authorities have got to do a better job themselves to bolster their own credibility. Their history in this is not good, being complicit in the Armstrong/USPS doping activities, and they are not improving on that much, imo.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

In the meantime GP E3 is as exciting as it can be !

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

yup, just tuned in. can we already take bets how will QS cock it up? :mrgreen:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

GVA looks strong

boysa

by boysa

@BdaGhisallo...

I agree wholeheartedly. Believe me, in the order of "blame," I place the riders much lower on the list than the UCI and WADA (and sponsors and team management, for that matter). They are, in my opinion, the real crooks. I don't have anything against any particular rider or team, and although I have favorites, at the end of the day I want to see good racing. I also, however, want a system where rules are enforced fairly for all athletes. The first step in this process could be more transparency. It also could be to speed up the damn process itself!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Watching E3.

Oss/Sagan could yet prove me wrong, but having Oss sit at the front of a 6 man group while the front of the race rides away doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me. Again, I could be proven wrong, but I doubt he's going to pull back the two groups in front all by himself.

Sagan either needs to do some work or figure out how to motivate Durbridge and Gaudin to work.

Right now, QS have three of the top five on the road, with two more in the chasing group of six. Five of the top 11. That's pretty impressive.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Sagan doesn't look really good on top of Paterberg. If QS pull off 1-2-3 it's gonna be something

LeDuke

by LeDuke

If I were Sagan, with the gap to the GvA group coming down very quickly, I'd try to jump across and at the very least make Stybar chase to close the gap instead of sitting on all the way.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

@LeDuke : sure but Sagan is not in the third group !

boysa

by boysa

Is Gilbert going to go straight over the top when they pull them back?

boysa

by boysa

Haha... nevermind!

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Lampaert is one example of never giving up !

LeDuke

by LeDuke

djcharlou wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:44 pm
@LeDuke : sure but Sagan is not in the third group !
Yeah, just saw that when they flashed to the third group. I was out on a phone call for a bit and the race totally changed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com