2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pastronef

by pastronef

the new Carnac helmet for Delko-Marseille

now remind me which helmets that looks like... :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pastronef wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am

Hmm... Cue the lawyers for Spec in one, two...

euan

by euan

maquisard wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 am
I think it is impossible to draw conclusions either way. But again, it is staggering that an organisation which prides itself on attention to detail and leaving no stone unturned in pursuit of performance would conduct itself like that.

Medical support, and I don't mean the doping kind, is incredibly important in elite sport. How it could be run like this is beyond belief, the lack of record keeping in particular. My wife is a medic and she would dismiss a student or foundation year medic for behaving in such a manner, and these were supposed to be medical professionals operating at a consultant level.
I've always viewed as the Marginal Gains and such as nothing more than marketing, in the same way Vaughters used the who Clean Team thing.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

bilwit wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 am
maquisard wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am
Some staggering stuff in this article about British Cycling/Sky medical practices and general disorganisation. What is most surprising is how completely polar opposite it is to the well organised slick operation that Brailsford often lauds!

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/uk-anti ... stigation/
imho sounds more like incompetence than mass conspiracy coverup
If it’s just incompetence then Brailsford would not have had to lie. Brailsford is now a proven liar so this idea that he’s incompetent is the only way possible that he can cover his ass.
I just don’t understand how they are getting away it. The lack of evidence ? :roll: , the fact Sky , GB. Can not answer simple questions proves there is certainly a cover up and they have got away with it.

If I had been drunk driving and a policeman pulled me up because I was swerving all over the road ,smelt my breath could clearly see I was intoxicated and then I just told him “I’ve not been drinking “ and the policeman then replied “that’s ok , off you go “ and I got away with it . Exactly the same IMO

It’s a complete white wash .

spud

by spud

the disorganization is the perfect cover for Sky's activities. Further, given Britich cycling extraordinarily consistent success at the Olympics, I have some doubts about their activities as well.
If you were to indict the doctor who hasn't managed to appear for the questioning, things would become much more clear.

IchDien

by IchDien

Can't wear for the TDU to start so we can focus on better things here...

themidge

by themidge

+1, doping is boring. I like Froome, if he dopes, he dopes and so does everyone else (I reckon (pure conjecture here) that the vast majority of pros are 'abusing' the grey area surrounding what legal and what's not, seems safer and easier than 'proper' doping). I'd rather watch some exciting racing than worry myself about inhalers and TUEs etc.

maquisard

by maquisard

Team Sky doesn’t do exciting racing, that is the point!

fuddsker

by fuddsker

ooo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am
@CrankAddictsRich, I can't finish watching movie, because it started with...
1) main hero most wanted race to win was some unknown "tdf imitation for amateur" event (looks like advertising for this event)
2) main hero lost first attempt to win race because di2 battery became low and FD stopped working
(technical support was unable to understand and fix this problem... and he still finished race using RD somehow)

Pimitive mistakes from the field of knowledge of this movie author significantly decrease authenticity
You’re missing the real story by not finishing it. Especially in light of Russia’s ban in the Winter Olympics. Mistakes or not, that part of the movie had limited relevance to the overall story other than as an explanation for how the filmmaker got connected with Rodchenko.

AJS914

by AJS914

I did show how much he improved using peds. I don't think he set out to win the Haute Route. I kept wondering what all the other guys at Huate Route were on!

To me it illustrated how athletes at the Olympic level are trapped between the cold war of nation states and pro athletes are trapped by the lure of sponsors and millions of dollars.

What kind of enhanced training do we think North Korea is doing for the winter Olympics?

Another thought I had was, between Russia's interfering in western elections and wholesale cheating at the Olympics, why doesn't the west tell them to F--- off and cut them off from the internet. It seems like it would be pretty easy to just block all internet traffic in and out of Russia. Screw them, pretend they don't exist. And give them a lifetime ban from the Olympics.

maquisard

by maquisard

you don't really understand the internet do you....

bilwit

by bilwit

Jenmoss wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 pm
bilwit wrote:
maquisard wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am
Some staggering stuff in this article about British Cycling/Sky medical practices and general disorganisation. What is most surprising is how completely polar opposite it is to the well organised slick operation that Brailsford often lauds!

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/uk-anti ... stigation/
If it’s just incompetence then Brailsford would not have had to lie. Brailsford is now a proven liar so this idea that he’s incompetent is the only way possible that he can cover his ass.
I just don’t understand how they are getting away it. The lack of evidence ? :roll: , the fact Sky , GB. Can not answer simple questions proves there is certainly a cover up and they have got away with it.

If I had been drunk driving and a policeman pulled me up because I was swerving all over the road ,smelt my breath could clearly see I was intoxicated and then I just told him “I’ve not been drinking “ and the policeman then replied “that’s ok , off you go “ and I got away with it . Exactly the same IMO

It’s a complete white wash .
I think he genuinely had no idea about the jiffy bag and thought that was the case and got his facts about what happened between then and five years ago mixed up (aka incompetence). I also think that Sky doctors like Freeman gamed the system a few times independently and Froome also independently massively overdosed Salbutamol because he freaked out about losing time to Nibali the day before. Postal Service-like systemic abuse? I think the former explanations are more likely in this day and age.

em3

by em3

pastronef wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am

...I think those have been available for some time, and at a very fair price.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECANOTEV ... oad-helmet

LeDuke

by LeDuke

em3 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 pm
...I think those have been available for some time, and at a very fair price.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECANOTEV ... oad-helmet
So, when I originally clicked on it, it was $20 or so, with no size selected. Then $31 for small/medium. Now, it's $37 for most of the color options. Plus $19 for shipping to the US.

Still not a bad deal, though.
Last edited by LeDuke on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

bilwit wrote:
Well, the problem is that apparent incompetence is a good coverup for a conspiracy. Or at least gives deniability for those in charge.

In fact it's remarkably similar in some ways to the phone hacking scandal at Murdoch's (and other) newspapers. Senior editors avoided going to jail because they said they didn't know what was going on since they were too busy to find out how their reporters were getting stories. In essence saying to them "Get me amazing results and I'll never ask how you make it happen". It's quite concerning.