Sunglasses recommendation?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

As a latecomer to sunnies for riding (always got too hot around the face), I've gone throufgh a few and think I've finally found some that fit well, don't make my face a sauna, and look classy.

Have had some Bolle polarised, Tifosi, Oakley M2 XL and finally KOO Open. The last ones fit great and aren't lairy (more understatyed and stylish, but that's me).

The lenses (Zeiss) are great, but at the moment don't have polairised versions available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I've been using the Xtractive transitions for a few weeks. They are great as they get almost clear (far clearer than bad transitions you see in the office) to medium dark grey. They don't get as dark as advertised (you can always see your eyes), but they seemed fine on a clear sunny day. They say they darken in the car, but but not enough- these are not do-it-all lenses. They also do not change fast enough when you're going in/out of the light. Having said that, they work pretty darn well as a dusk/dawn set.
I'd recommend just going with regular transitions for a few less dollars and more availability. I do like them for safety glasses while doing home project in and around the house when you're going in an outside a lot. Remember when picking the frames, how silly they will look when clear. I got a set of blue POC Flow frames, which had good coverage and were relatively cheap, but look TERRIBLE when clear. Supposedly you can get a light mirror on them, but my provider wont' do it.

dim

by dim

I've been looking very closely at buying a pair of decent cycling sunglasses.

I have a problem with some sunglasses that are polarised, as I struggle to read my Garmin Edge 1000 when wearing them. I have also read that polarised are not good when it comes to spotting water/ice in the road. Currently, my best sunglasses are Serengeti Drivers (used for driving and also used by some pilots). Problem is that they tend to fog up.

I done an online test from Zeiss, and I struggle with contrast:

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/vision-care/bet ... check.html

So far, the sunglasses which appeal to me are the Assos ZEGHO WERKMANNSCHAFT as the bottom is clear glass and it will be easier for me to read the Garmin .... I will try them first before buying
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Try them around sunset. Contrast lenses might be an issue when the sun is low. Polarized lenses suck

KCookie

by KCookie

I couldn't be happier with my polarized Oakleys, I can read my 520 no problem at all and they are great in the Ozy sun, don't understand why the negative reviews.
The photochromic lenses are worse than my normal transition prescription glasses, pile of crap on a sunny day. Even though we are in winter I still can't wear them when the sun is out as they don't go dark enough.
Do like the Assos glasses though but way to expensive.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The thing about polarized lenses for cycling is that they remove the glare from things like black ice on the road, or, my favorite... those road repair tar strips in cracks which your tires just want to skid out in if you hit them in any kind of a lean. Without the inherent glare from those things they become hazards for cyclists in the right (wrong) light.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Calnago wrote:The thing about polarized lenses for cycling is that they remove the glare from things like black ice on the road, or, my favorite... those road repair tar strips in cracks which your tires just want to skid out in if you hit them in any kind of a lean. Without the inherent glare from those things they become hazards for cyclists in the right (wrong) light.
This.

I've not missed the polarization since moving to Prizim lenses.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:14 pm
The thing about polarized lenses for cycling is that they remove the glare from things like black ice on the road, or, my favorite... those road repair tar strips in cracks which your tires just want to skid out in if you hit them in any kind of a lean. Without the inherent glare from those things they become hazards for cyclists in the right (wrong) light.
Well that's one thing I never have to worry about, black ice here in Adelaide. 😀

robertbb

by robertbb

Suggest the blokes who havn't tried the polarized daily prizms, go do so. They're way better than the Prizm road.

Can still pick up water on the road, but the added bonus is the sharp glare of sun bouncing off cars etc is very well managed.

I say managed because that's what it is - polarization is on a sliding scale, not all in one.

Black ice not an issue in Melb either ;-)

Wookski

by Wookski

I have owned plenty of Oakleys, Rudy, 100%, Alba Optics. Oakleys bore me because every a$$hole you see out there seems to be wearing them. Rudy’s are ugly but have amazing optics and I kind of love the eurotrash styling. 100% have crap optics and were ruined when Sagan got sponsored and Alba are good quality, have some awesome lens options (mirror gold being my fav) but fog up easily in our humid summer mornings.

I’ve always loved Zeghos as Paolini is one of my fav riders of all time but I think i’ll try District Eyewear next. Made in Japan acetate frame’s with titanium core and non-slip rubber nose and temples. Don’t look like cycling glasses either so no having to share your eyewear style with the local crack dealer!

853guy

by 853guy

No one with Rapha Pro Team Arenberg experience...?

853guy

Wookski

by Wookski

853guy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am

853guy
Nothing says Pro Hubbard quite like waffa sunnies

853guy

by 853guy

Wookski wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:30 am
853guy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am

853guy
Nothing says Pro Hubbard quite like waffa sunnies
Ha. The crazy thing is I've never owned a single Rapha anything (and on the clothing side, don't see that changing anytime soon), yet covet their sunglasses.

853guy

Wookski

by Wookski

853guy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Ha. The crazy thing is I've never owned a single Rapha anything (and on the clothing side, don't see that changing anytime soon), yet covet their sunglasses.

853guy
I have quite a bit and the classic sunglasses were kind of cool- pro teams are bloody horrible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

853guy

by 853guy

Wookski wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:09 pm
I have quite a bit and the classic sunglasses were kind of cool- pro teams are bloody horrible
Yep. In deciding between the Pro Teams and the POCs i think it’s their divisive 80s retro-futurism I like about them most. (This from someone who’s never owned a pair of Oakleys and also never will, so probably worth taking that into account in where I sit on the aesthetics spectrum. If I’m gonna wear glasses on the bike they should at least make me feel like a character from Tron - the original - or in whatever video Drake makes next.)

853guy