Road cycling on Malta

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ak47

by ak47

Hi, I have moved to Malta and will live for a at least a couple of months. I plan to bring my bike here. Any tips for road cycling? I've heard some worrying things in the past, but heard it's a lot better now. I've seen quite a few road cyclists yesterday, but I need few tips:

1) Tubulars or clinchers on Malta? I have used to train some mixed quality roads with some bad weather stuff. I have never had a flat there so I think I'll go with tubulars here too, but maybe there's something I don't know about the roads, like some grit on the tarmac that can go through the tyre?
2) Are there any weekend group rides on the main island?
3) Any road safety tips?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

1) tubs or clinchers well that depends on what wheels you have. grippy tyres are a must though in the wet those road offer no grip. The last time i road there in the wet I had to walk down all the hills as i could not steer, the brakes on the hire bike were crap and non existant in the wet too.

2) there are a few clubs details of which can be found in a search.
3) eyes everywhere, the ,maltese are not known for there driving skills.

Also there is limited routes as 1/2 the island is congested and built up. The other half toward the cliffs and the north west of the island has some decent cycling. The east of the island is o.k as well the middle and north avoid if you can on a bike as it is not pleasant. Also watch out of dogs a few times in the south of the island i was chased by rather aggressive looking dogs. i don't think they were petable.

There is more scope for a gravel bike or MTB then you can mix it up a bit more.

Bear in mind the pollution in Malta (also watch the salt content in the food it is high). All of my granparents, uncles and aunts there have died in there 50's, 60's and 70's. It is not a healthy place to be. All you have to look at is the obesity rate in Malta to see the quality of the food you are eating unless you cook everything from base ingredients.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

I did the Tour ta Malta a few years back. It was (and still is I think) in the North West area and Gozo.

I agree with all that bm0p700f says above - the roads were treacherous in the wet - I think it might be the to do with what is in the road building material (they cancelled a stage as it was too slippy).

Here is the site, which shows the circuits they use. The St Paul's bypass closed one side for the race - not sure it is that great to use otherwise but we did have to get to the other stages by using it.

http://www.tourtamalta.com/

I remember there being a few local clubs entered, so I'd be shocked if there wasn't group rides at the weekend.

Other thing - the shops with the rabbit logos - they are butchers, not pet shops :-)
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

limestone chippings for the roads = slippery in the wet. They have no hardstone.

tour of malta is on the list of races to do maybe in 2019.