Assos customer service

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

bearsdidit wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Shorts really should last longer than 3 months, especially a premium product like Assos. I have Assos shorts that have had many months use and not failed like this so maybe there is a problem - send them back to Switzerland and have them take a look at them. My winter bib tights have worn out in the seat but I put that down to road grit and grime and my non-use of mudguards.

As an aside, Assos as a company do really seem to have lost their way, their product range seems to be too confusing and they have definitely lost their way in the UK. They used to be the number one choice for most seasoned riders but no longer are.

Their sponsorship of people is plain weird - I can see why they support GCN and Julie Elliott but then ruin it by sponsoring Bruce Berkeley. I just can't work them out.

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that bibs should last more than 3 months. Under normal conditions, most bibs will easily last 3+ years. There is obviously an outside factor in the OP's situation that he is not telling us. As a former shop owner and now working on the supplier side of the industry, it's appalling to see the amount of crap consumers try to push off as "warranty."

Fair comment, like I said, I have worn the seat out in bib tights in 3 months but I'll put that down to wearing them in bad weather and getting grit etc in contact with them. It is weird that he hasn't sent them to Assos, I'll certainly grant you that. There is quite often a disconnect between what companies advertise their stuff as being, and reality. Retailers are often caught in the crossfire and I can imagine you get all kinds of stories.

markyboy

by markyboy

bearsdidit wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Shorts really should last longer than 3 months, especially a premium product like Assos. I have Assos shorts that have had many months use and not failed like this so maybe there is a problem - send them back to Switzerland and have them take a look at them. My winter bib tights have worn out in the seat but I put that down to road grit and grime and my non-use of mudguards.

As an aside, Assos as a company do really seem to have lost their way, their product range seems to be too confusing and they have definitely lost their way in the UK. They used to be the number one choice for most seasoned riders but no longer are.

Their sponsorship of people is plain weird - I can see why they support GCN and Julie Elliott but then ruin it by sponsoring Bruce Berkeley. I just can't work them out.

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that bibs should last more than 3 months. Under normal conditions, most bibs will easily last 3+ years. There is obviously an outside factor in the OP's situation that he is not telling us. As a former shop owner and now working on the supplier side of the industry, it's appalling to see the amount of crap consumers try to push off as "warranty."

What outside factor?i buy shorts wear them and have a hole in after 3 months use.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Will my saddles cause this?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Is there a rip in the saddle cover on the right wing, close to the nose? I've never seen that cover before, if it's custom, then the edges between the different textured surfaces will play a role (it's difficult to tell from the photos).

chipomarc

by chipomarc

It is user error. No warranty

markyboy

by markyboy

chipomarc wrote:It is user error. No warranty

What do you call user error?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

kode54

by kode54

antonioiglesius wrote:Is there a rip in the saddle cover on the right wing, close to the nose? I've never seen that cover before, if it's custom, then the edges between the different textured surfaces will play a role (it's difficult to tell from the photos).

yeah, looks like a tear on the saddle cover...which will tear a hole in a pair of shorts in no time. that's what it appears to be IMHO. change the saddle and problem solved. better check your other bibs to make sure you're not ruining all of them.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Demdem wrote:Unusual, I thought assos customer service was top draw

i've emailed Assos customer support and never get a response. their customer service was great at one point...but now, it seems that its gone downhill. i still buy the bib shorts, but have had issues with their S7 knickers. emailed them and haven't got a reply over 4 months. its a shame.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

markyboy

by markyboy

kode54 wrote:
antonioiglesius wrote:Is there a rip in the saddle cover on the right wing, close to the nose? I've never seen that cover before, if it's custom, then the edges between the different textured surfaces will play a role (it's difficult to tell from the photos).

yeah, looks like a tear on the saddle cover...which will tear a hole in a pair of shorts in no time. that's what it appears to be IMHO. change the saddle and problem solved. better check your other bibs to make sure you're not ruining all of them.

No tears on the saddles it must be the way the pic is
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

markyboy

by markyboy

To be honest i have checked saddles and they are mint,but the middle of the saddle that black smooth strip has an edge on it and if i rub my thumb over it i can feel a slight edge.
Not what i expected from fizik.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Shorts really should last longer than 3 months, especially a premium product like Assos.

Mine all last at least a few years before wearing out. My winter stuff lasts even longer as it's only used for several months per year. The only problem I'd ever have with an Assos garment is getting bored with it's design. I generally only ever have three bibshorts at a time and rotate them. Looking at your picture, I'd say you'll wear out any shorts you wear. The shorts are generally averaging probably ninety cycles per minute for hours on end. Something with your setup is rubbing holes in both sides of the bibs. I'd figure that out, fix it, and get another pair of the finest bibshorts I've ever ridden.
Colnago e Campagnolo

joejack951

by joejack951

markyboy wrote:Why should i pay?And you never offered me to send them in so dont say you did.I declined on the second offer as i dont see why i should pay.
I will and still carry on with asoss products and as a matter have just took delivery on winter tights and winter jacket.

If you like their products and continue to buy them, I'd assume that you'd want to pay the presumably lower price for a repair rather than scrapping the shorts and/or paying the price for a new pair. I have some fairly pricey Maui Jim sunglasses (non-cycling, gift from my wife). I've now had to replace the lenses twice due to my own stupidity. It has hurt each time monetarily but the alternative would be not wearing what are awesome sunglasses or buying something cheaper that won't work as well for me. While not the easiest decision to make, with some thought the repair is the obvious best choice.

ak47

by ak47

I had my Assos long sleeve jersey repaired for free with their crash replacement, communication was very good, so I'm surprised by some of the opinions here.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Mr.Gib wrote:Looking at your photo, I can see on the other side in the same location the material looks a little polished like it has been rubbing. Obviously you are sliding around a bit during your pedal stroke. If you weren't moving at all that hole simply wouldn't have happened. The winter bibs with that fleecy material are going to be less resistant to abrasion. It's only a matter of time to you burn through.

It's hard to tell if that hole and the polished spot are on your sitbones or more forward where your inner thigh contacts the edge of the saddle. It's a shot in the dark but maybe your saddle is a bit too high. That could cause sliding around on the saddle.

This pretty much nails it, especially after looking at your saddle choice. The Arione has the stupid little wingflex slits cut in the sides, and those cuts create small ridges that can abrade the fabric. Also the Arione does not have much side "skirt" so the edge of the saddle can be enough to start to abrade the fabric. The OP probably has some functional leg/pedal stroke issues that may cause him to put more pressure on that side of the saddle as well (I speak from my own pelvic issues). I have had similar issues with the Arione saddle completely destroying the stitching on a pair of Giordana FR-C bib shorts. It was not the short's problem. The saddle combined with my my pedal stroke and how my ischial region contacts the saddle was the problem. I changed saddles.

If Assos is willing to repair the shorts at your cost this is more than fair enough IMO. No need to blow them out on a forum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vagabond

by Vagabond

ak47 wrote:I had my Assos long sleeve jersey repaired for free with their crash replacement, communication was very good, so I'm surprised by some of the opinions here.

Agreed. In this case it's clear that it's something on the op's end that is causing the damage. It's not my intention to be insensitive or to be a jerk but I feel that it's rather unrealistic and unfair to critique a company on a public forum for not fixing or replacing something that the user is damaging and would still be damaging regardless of the high quality of the product. Something to think about.
Colnago e Campagnolo