Road Bike Pain

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Just looked at that saddle and it sounds good. Weight not to bad either. Cheapest ive seen is Bike24 $260AU, the Australian distributor is actually in my area so i will call them later today. Still a lot of money if i still get pain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Try a Pro Stealth, wide cutout and a forgiving shape.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

KCookie wrote:Just looked at that saddle and it sounds good. Weight not to bad either. Cheapest ive seen is Bike24 $260AU, the Australian distributor is actually in my area so i will call them later today. Still a lot of money if i still get pain.

Be sure to go for the cheapest version - you don't need the "Active" versions. Also I found that despite what the measuring system indicates, wider was better. I ride an size 15, despite the measuring system suggesting I should be on a 13 or 14. Too narrow is not good but too wide doesn't seem to matter.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KCookie

by KCookie

Yeah the Active model costs more and is heavier. Picked up a Fizik Arione and Antares today to try as well, but the Ergowave does look promising.

moonoi

by moonoi

I might be an outlier but I found the SQLabs 612 to be one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever tried. Also be aware that if you race you need to angle the saddle upwards at least 1 degree as the drop from the rear to the front of the 612 is too great for UCI regulations when installed normally.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jekyll man

by jekyll man

KCookie wrote:I have exactly the same problem, no pain in the arse but pressure on the groin, ok for about 1.5 hrs then the next hour is unbearable, I'm constantly moving around and in the end I have to stand most of the ride home. Went to the LBS last week and took a test saddle to try, that was no good either, next saddle will be my fifth. Feel like I'm never going to find the right saddle.

Just had a look through your LW build thread. Which bike is more uncomfortable? LW or the Avanti, as thats got a pretty extreme drop!
Its quite possibly not a saddle issue, but a fit one. Do you ride on the drops or hoods most of the time?
Official cafe stop tester

KCookie

by KCookie

I can't feel a difference, I actually feel comfortable on both, the set up is the same apart from the Avanti has a 95mm drop compared to the Urgestalt of 92mm. The Avanti is set up on the Wahoo so no road use.
I stay clear of flat routes, only ridding through the hills, there are a few small flat areas but the routes are very rolling.
When I'm on the flat I tend to ride in the drops and hoods for climbing, my rides aren't long around 57-83km, elevation between 1065- 1356m, more hills the better so I can stand up to relieve the pressure in the groin and wanting to get back home and off the bike. My legs could ride further but the pain stops me. Don't know which saddle to test tomorrow, maybe the Arione as it's a bit different to what I've been ridding.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

KCookie: did you get the versions with cutouts, or channels?

KCookie

by KCookie

antonioiglesius wrote:KCookie: did you get the versions with cutouts, or channels?
Got these pretty ones. Lol.!!!Image

KCookie

by KCookie

Tested the Arione today and no change, awful pain in exactly the same area. Doesn't make ridding much fun constantly moving on the saddle and standing up for around 1.5hrs. Couldn't wait to get home, feel like giving up ridding and going back to running. !!!

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

In the perineum? Yah I think you need at least a channel in your saddle... That, or you're sitting on your perineum and not your sitbones. Or both.

KCookie

by KCookie

I still get the pain with the Berk Lupina padded saddle. Maybe a bike fit is in order to see if the problem can be rectified.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Are your sitbones supported? If not, you'll be sitting on your perineum, and the cutout won't help. If your sitbones aren't supported, either you're sitting too far in front, or your sitbones are too wide for the saddle. Or the cutout isn't wide enough.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

moonoi wrote:I might be an outlier but I found the SQLabs 612 to be one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever tried. Also be aware that if you race you need to angle the saddle upwards at least 1 degree as the drop from the rear to the front of the 612 is too great for UCI regulations when installed normally.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think the UCI ignores that regulation in the case of SQ Lab and others. Check with the company. This issue has been dealt with IIRC.

@moonoi, how was the SQ Lab 612 uncomfortable for you? The edges are a bit hard and square and the nose is a touch wide so I can see certain body types not working. As i mentioned before, going too narrow in sizing can be a deal breaker. Setup is very tricky. A fraction of a degree nose too high or too low and I cannot ride it. Fore and aft setup can also be completely different for every individual depending where they need to sit. I am lucky in that I have three really good different positions on the saddle that work for me.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

outnumbered

by outnumbered

Can you post a photo of your bike? That might show if you have some obvious setup problem.

Don't give up, there will be a solution...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com