Suggest estates that take a bike with seats up

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

We currently drive a Lupo 3L. Since we now have a child seat installed more or less permanently, my bike has been relegated to the outside. I don't like that, and sometimes we could use a bit more space. So, we are looking for estates that will fit a bike in the boot (with wheels off), with the rear seats up.

We have thought about the BMW 3-series Touring (E91) and Mercedes C-class estate (W204). Anyone with experience with these cars? Will they take a car in the boot with the rear seats up?

Otherwise, I'd also be very happy to hear about alternatives. I'm not too fond of French and Italian cars (in a price range similar to the BMW and Mercedes above at least).

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I'd recommend a Ford Mondeo or a VW Passat. They're a tad bigger than the cars you mention, but I think you can buy one for a price similar to the BMW / Mercedes. Also nice, but heavier and a bit more expensive: Volvo V70.

FWIW: I drive a Golf 4 estate from 2004. The rear seats can be put down in two sections. When we only had 1 child, I used to flatten one part of the rear seats. Now we have two kids and I need a 650 liter roof box and the bike is on the outside of the car as well. I try not to think about it too much :oops:

Oh yeah: I ride a rather large frame, around 59/60 traditional. It really makes a difference when you ride a smaller frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for your input. It's not possible to fit a bike in the boot of your Golf with the seats up then?

mattr

by mattr

You'd not get your little ones bike in the back of an E91. Smallest boot i've ever seen (for the size of the car) a golf estate is probably bigger.

Other cars we looked at were as above, Passat and Mondeo. Both will get a small road bike across the boot (52/53cm), stood up with no issues.
Ended up getting on the co car scheme in the end, so the V70 we got is as big as either of those. Took 3 bikes and 2 extra sets of wheels, plus all the kit for a two week training camp (i was the mechanic, so loads of spares and tools too) across europe with space to spare.
We currently have a V70 and a V60, both will get those same, small bikes across the boot. V60 takes some finessing, but can be done.

Latest 29er MTBs or longer travel 26ers, thats a struggle, need to lie them down in the boot due to the longer wheelbase. Most of our road bikes are around the 1m mark or just under, 29ers are about 12-15 cm longer.

mattr

by mattr

the_marsbar wrote:Thanks for your input. It's not possible to fit a bike in the boot of your Golf with the seats up then?

I could get two bikes in the boot of my old 2004 Bora (same footprint as the Golf estate) with the seats up and only the wheels off.
Obviously not stood up as it's a saloon! But room for a couple of bigish (60+ litre) kit bags as well. And a tool box.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks, mattr. I looked at Volvo V70 too. The V60 will be a bit too expensive, unfortunately.

I'm not a big Ford fan, so it will either take a very low price, or a nice engine to convince me otherwise. A Passat might be an option, albeit a rather boring one (in my opinion).

wobbly

by wobbly

I had to fit my bike in the boot of an emergency hire car last year.
BB to top of saddle is 800mm - 62cm frame
Went in a Focus estate no problem - not much legroom in the back for the kids, but it did the job for my bike :D
I recall it also went in a Passat a few years ago - again no problem
In fact the XC60 is not much bigger in cm2 in the back. Taller car so easier to pack more in

This was with the wheels out and flat across the back

yinya

by yinya

I could fit my bike with wheels off in the boot of the latest 3-series sedan. Surprised if you couldn't fit it in the back of an estate of the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Volvo XC60 - buy a T6 AWD used, low mileage - you'll be set for at least the next 20 years and still outpace an M5 when necessary ;)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ianeire

by ianeire

Skoda Octavia & Superb will both easily take a 58 frame in the boot with the wheels off without having to drop the rear seats.

mattr

by mattr

prendrefeu wrote:Volvo XC60 - buy a T6 AWD used, low mileage - you'll be set for at least the next 20 years and still outpace an M5 when necessary ;)
I guess you mean an early 1980s 5 series (E28/E34)

The only Volvos that will outpace a current (or recent) M5 aren't quite production cars........

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for the replies.

A Focus ST wouldn't be bad. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan. XC60 or V60 would be nice, but they're just a bit too expensive. A used V60 T6 (2012 with 71.000 km) costs 49500 EUR (~ 44500 GBP). I'm not a huge fan of SUVs, although I drove an X3 with the 2.0 petrol engine (240 hp), which was really nice. They're too expensive for what you get IMO.

I have looked at Skoda Octavias, but I'd at least want the 1.8 TSI (180 hp) petrol, or the 2.0 TDI (180 hp) diesel, and the prices of the used cars are too high currently, compared to new ones (which are too expensive).

yinya - I wonder if the latest 3-series estate is bigger than the previous one. That might explain it.

Anyone with experience with the Mercedes C-class estate?

mattr

by mattr

Ah, yeah. Location: Denmark.

Try buying in Malmo, or heading south :D

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

We thought about importing a car from Germany (less exposure to salt during the winter). It's a bit of a hassle though, and we still have to pay an import fee (which depends on the current market price in Denmark - stupid rule if you ask me, because the sellers will have an artifically high price), so it will probably not be a lot cheaper in the end.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Yeah, got an relative near Aalborg who imports all his vehicles from Germany. Works out quite well for him as his owns his own farming business.

You looked at something a bit left field, like the Yeti? Or one of the other mini SUVs.

Probably quite good for loading the bike and the child (until they get completely independently mobile).