Winter Commuting - Padded/Insulated Jackets/Jerseys

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Point

by Point

I've started to notice a few synthetic insulated jackets coming on to the market for cyclists, namely items such as the Albertine from Cafe Du Cycliste, I believe Castelli are now doing one and Rapha seem to have an insulated Brevet model.

Having now owned an Arc'teryx Atom insulated jacket, using it for walking/hiking, knowing how windproof, insulative and breathable it is I'm starting to wonder whether one would be ideal for commuting or more gentle road rides., although I'm mainly thinking about commuting at the moment.

I'm beginning to hate the rigmarole of having to put on thermals and multiple other layers of clothing just to travel into work. It's barely worth the hassle, especially once you have to strip off at work too.

I'm wondering if I can get away with a baselayer and an insulated jacket for commuting, completely cutting down on layers.

What're your thoughts?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

P90Puma

by P90Puma

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xZKdJIrBGRRLQpU43

I'm such an Arc'teryx brand whore, I have probably over 200pc between me and my wife.

The Trino jersey is really great.

My Atom's are in dark colours and have no pockets on the back so I don't use them for bike riding at all.

I've ridden down to -20 with it combined with a Phase SV baselayer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Point

by Point

P90Puma wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/xZKdJIrBGRRLQpU43

-20 with the Atom? Presumably the SV not LT?

Obviously in that temp you wouldn't have over heated, but do you use it for slightly warmer rides? My only concern is really over heating or perspiring too much.

I'm actually considering buying another one second hand and modifying it to have rear pockets.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Distance? Temperatures? Hills?

With commuting, major issues are "don't sweat much" and "be comfortable".

No specialized clothing is needed to make this work. Any coat or jacket that would be used for walking at a temperature 5*C above the current temp will do.

Example, temp outside is -5C, dress like you're going for a walk in -1C temp....you'll be fine.

Add a large tab to the zipper to modulate ventilation. Ride slowly. Ride with the effort of walking.

My advice assumes you want to get to work smelling and looking decent.

On the way home, if you want to dial up the effort, go harder. So what if you get warm and sweaty? Deal with that when you get home.

"Performance" clothing is a modern miracle, but humans long ago solved the "what to wear to move around in the snow" problem thousands of years ago.... dress like you're going for a walk, exert yourself like you are walking.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

A base layer and a winter jacket is pretty much what I always wear in the winter on the bike.

Disclosure - I work for ASSOS. A Winter SkinFoil (base layer) and a Mille Jacket and you're toasty. If it is sub zero, go for a Deep Winter base layer. We normally sell those to skiers.

Marin

by Marin

For proper riding, I wear 1 or 2 merino shirts & the Gabba. I get cold on group rides though.

For communting, I wear my work clothes (jeans, polo, sweater) & a lightly insulated softshell.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

Point wrote:
P90Puma wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/xZKdJIrBGRRLQpU43

-20 with the Atom? Presumably the SV not LT?

Obviously in that temp you wouldn't have over heated, but do you use it for slightly warmer rides? My only concern is really over heating or perspiring too much.

I'm actually considering buying another one second hand and modifying it to have rear pockets.

Sorry I wasn't clear, that was with the Trino, like I said the Atom isn't really aero or made for road cycling.

I wear the trino up to +10 or so depending on the layering underneath.

I use a combination of Phase SL SS, Phase AR zip top, Phase SV zip top, I have a Rho LTW but I find that works better for hiking and it takes more care to clean.

I would not advise adding rear pockets to an Atom.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wrenegade

by wrenegade

I recently picked up the insulted Rapha brevet vest and absolutely love it. One of my favourite ever pieces of kit. Super versatile. Easily layerable underneath hard shells, or as a standalone piece on fall or spring days.