Who's Wife or S/O is also a Cyclist?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

audiojan

by audiojan

My wife is a cyclist/triathlete. (and commonly kicks my butt, combination of very little weight and lots of power is freaking dangerous!). My thought is that if it's acceptable level of risk for me, why wouldn't it be for her? I bet you spend money on some less healthy things in life, so if it comes down to putting down some cash to have a babysitter for the kids so you both can ride, then that's a pretty decent investment in your health and marriage bliss. :_)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

ms6073

by ms6073

wheelbuilder wrote:I'm a pics or it didn't happen guy myself. She is super paranoid about social media presence so she won't do pics from the front!

But posting of one of her from behind in form fitting cycling kit is okay? :beerchug:
All kidding aside, that is some awesome scenery, is that on the road that descends down off Mt. Tam into Stinson Beach (near San Francisco)?
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

You got the Bay Area part right! It's in the East Bay. Old Calaveras road.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I miss calaveras.. wish they would open that up again.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

spdntrxi wrote:I miss calaveras.. wish they would open that up again.
No doubt. So many great loops can be put together with Calaveras. It was supposed to re-open Jan 1st 2018. They have now pushed it back to at least September!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

wheelbuilder wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:I miss calaveras.. wish they would open that up again.
No doubt. So many great loops can be put together with Calaveras. It was supposed to re-open Jan 1st 2018. They have now pushed it back to at least September!

atleast the weekend.. like it was for a time. From my side (sunol) it's closed really early. From the SJ side not sure were it's gated. Primavera century is going to be screwed again.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

ms6073

by ms6073

Sorry for a silly question, as we only infrequently get to visit San Francisco, so as I am not familiar with local conditions, why is this area closed? Is it due to the wild fires or something else?
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

ms6073 wrote:Sorry for a silly question, as we only get to San Francisco, not familiar with local conditions, so why is this area closed? Is it due to the wild fires or something else?
Calaveras Rd is in Sunol/Milpitas. It is a tiny winding road that allows access to Calaveras Reservoir, and connects the Fremont/Sunol area with the Milpitas/San Jose area. It is a staple road for East Bay and beyond roadies to include in various loops. I live near San Francisco and would drive out there once a week to ride I liked it so much. It has been closed for over 2 years? as they build a Dam at that reservoir.

prototoast

by prototoast

Some suggestions from my experience with a partner who started riding with me, but remains a much more casual cyclist than I am. Here is one thing that worked really well for me and one thing I had trouble with:

What worked well: Choose with rides that involve a "fun" destination. I could go off and ride for hours in the middle of nowhere, but for her, it was more fun if she had somewhere to go. Typically this would involve biking 5-10 miles to brunch, or to the farmer's market. Gradually we could go to further destinations or add longer detours. Even after doing many longer (50-80 mile) rides with me, she's still more enthusiastic about "do you want to ride to dinner?" than "do you want to go for a ride?"

What I had trouble with: gauging the difficulty of certain rides for her. I didn't try to push her too hard or too fast, but occasionally I did anyway. While I didn't set out to take her on any big climbs, she had a lot of trouble with short-to-medium length climbs. These were the kind of climbs that might take me one to five minutes. Honestly, when planning routes, I often wouldn't even think of these as "climbs" because they were so short, but to her, they were often quite challenging. At her pace, a climb that would take me five minutes could turn into ten minutes, and she was less capable of powering over some of the steep stuff. These could turn what was supposed to be a fun ride for her into something rather unpleasant, and it took more than a few screw ups on my part before I learned.

Conza

by Conza

prototoast wrote:Some suggestions from my experience with a partner who started riding with me, but remains a much more casual cyclist than I am. Here is one thing that worked really well for me and one thing I had trouble with:

What worked well: Choose with rides that involve a "fun" destination. I could go off and ride for hours in the middle of nowhere, but for her, it was more fun if she had somewhere to go. Typically this would involve biking 5-10 miles to brunch, or to the farmer's market. Gradually we could go to further destinations or add longer detours. Even after doing many longer (50-80 mile) rides with me, she's still more enthusiastic about "do you want to ride to dinner?" than "do you want to go for a ride?"

What I had trouble with: gauging the difficulty of certain rides for her. I didn't try to push her too hard or too fast, but occasionally I did anyway. While I didn't set out to take her on any big climbs, she had a lot of trouble with short-to-medium length climbs. These were the kind of climbs that might take me one to five minutes. Honestly, when planning routes, I often wouldn't even think of these as "climbs" because they were so short, but to her, they were often quite challenging. At her pace, a climb that would take me five minutes could turn into ten minutes, and she was less capable of powering over some of the steep stuff. These could turn what was supposed to be a fun ride for her into something rather unpleasant, and it took more than a few screw ups on my part before I learned.
I'll scrap the adventure ride to Mount Hotham - https://www.strava.com/local/au/melbour ... /routes/68 then :x
It's all about the adventure :o .