jaywalking uk

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

markyboy

by markyboy

It seems to me that pedestrians in the uk can just do what they like when crossing the rd giving motorist and cyclist not much chance of avoiding them.
I was cycling in the high st last sat when a woman just walked straight out in front of me with no warning whatsoever and nearly hitting her.
The crossing was 10 meters away but just could not be bothered to use it.
If you hit them in the uk either cycling or in a vehicle its always the cyclists or drivers fault and not the pedestrian,you then face the chance of being prosecuted for
careless driving etc.
Pedestrians constantly just walk out in any part of the rd with what seems to be no worry at all and its getting worse,especially when they are looking at there phones.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

WinterRider

by WinterRider

I hear you .. been there.

Of more concern for me is the reckless bike riders .. double file on well traveled roads .. running stop signs especially at busy times ... not paying any real attention to anything around them .. like cars .. which can not read their minds when the whim to weave left is done.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Just read a story about the case of Charlie Alliston who was riding a fixed-gear bike with no brakes, for which he has recently been convicted after inadvertently hitting and killing a female pedestrian in London.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

markyboy

by markyboy

ms6073 wrote:Just read a story about the case of Charlie Alliston who was riding a fixed-gear bike with no brakes, for which he has recently been convicted after inadvertently hitting and killing a female pedestrian in London.

Yes thats right, but i have been to london many times and pedestrians are an absolute nightmare well all over the uk for that, they think they can just walk off the pavement in front of anything.
Problem is that they dont get prosecuted its the guys cycling or driving that do.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

euan

by euan

I mean you could just ride according to the conditions and anticipate them.

A far minority but don't let that stop your(you're ;)) rant.

KB

by KB

The Charlie Alliston case. I think he may have got some sympathy if he came across better. He didn't and sounded like a heartless knob. In fact behaved like a lot of people in cars.

markyboy

by markyboy

KB wrote:The Charlie Alliston case. I think he may have got some sympathy if he came across better. He didn't and sounded like a heartless knob. In fact behaved like a lot of people in cars.

I dont need sympathy none whatsoever,all i am saying is pedestrians just think they can do what they like.
And whats with the heartless knob bit you dont even know me.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

KB

by KB

i wasn't talking about you. it was about Charlie Alliston. Read my comments again, because I don't know how you come to think it was about you. And yes, you're correct, I don't know you.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Anyone DUMB enough to ride a bike in a congested area SANS brakes is a moron.. deserves the book dumped on them.

Yes .. law is slow to nothing enforcing against the drivers vs bikes. I posted a thread start per setting up a liaison w local law agencies.. not one peep response. :noidea: Does .. it take concealed carry .. to protect one's self... (not serious)----- :twisted:

markyboy

by markyboy

KB wrote:i wasn't talking about you. it was about Charlie Alliston. Read my comments again, because I don't know how you come to think it was about you. And yes, you're correct, I don't know you.

Apologies I misread
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

joec

by joec

talking of dumb pedestrians, check this out, rider involved is the someone of somone in my club

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... road-race/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You only fall foul of the look law if you are riding too quickly to stop in the distance that you can see is cleaR. You must assume people or other hazzards will appear in the road from behind cars e. T. C and your speed should be adjusted downwards accordingly. Yes pedestrians dont look where they are going so you know this. By complaining and suggestion pedestrians should be prosecuted you are sounding a bit like charlie allerton.

That crash george was involved was shocking. This is a clear case where no prosecution would be possible against the rider. Also mr allerton was not convicted of manslaughter because the pexestrian was at fault. He was convicted because the bike he was riding was unsafe and illegial on uk roads. Try driving a car relying on an engine brake alone and then try convincing a court you are not responsible for killing that pedestrian. That what charlie did. He was convicted on the right charge, the prosecutions attempt at conviction on aanslaughter charge was rightly dismissed by the jury. The law works just fine.

bomber

by bomber

@bm0p700f

Does it though? Interesting perspective here: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge

It seems to be a leap of faith to prosecute someone riding in the street at 18 mph with "wanton and furious driving" when the ped stepped out in front of him! I'd venture that no amount of brakes would have seen anyone come to a stop in that 3 meters when you factor in reaction time to someone doing something unsuspected.

I fear this is a bad precedent.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

WinterRider

by WinterRider

So.. your saying running down the street on a bike w NO brakes is acceptable behavior and not worthy of punishment?

Law did work .. I'd liked to have seen more time .. say as a double file rider in the left side position .. on a narrow 2 lane road .. rush hour.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ride without brake at pace and you are asking for the book to be thrown at you. Try driving a car with engine braking and a handbrake only and then argue it was the pedestrians fault. It does not matter that if charlie had a front brake and he might not have stopped. He could have srubbed enough speed that her death might have been avoided.

The law has been applied fairly. I cycle everywhere and i get that cyclists have responsibilities too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com