Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: For Mortirolo Fans
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:08 pm 

I climbed the Mortirolo from Bormio a couple of weeks ago - the proper route from the town of Mazzo di Valtellino (not the easier way from Grosio). I was curious to experience what many call the toughest climb in pro racing. It's definitely steep and relentless but riding steady with 34 x 32 made it reasonable. Got up it in about 1:15 - 1:20 with fresh legs. After descending to Monno the plan was to turn left and go on the Gavia, but some clouds had me thinking that was not a good idea (turned out it was snowing up there). Instead I turned right and went a bit further down the valley to the town of Megno. The map showed a small road that climbed from Megno back up toward a connector road at the top of the ridge that would get me back to the top of the Mortirolo. From there I could descend to Grosio and get back to Bormio.

I could see the road was small and the distance on the map suggested it gained a lot of elevation in a short distance so I expected it to be very steep. But what was not marked on the map was the actual elevation of the top. Turns out it finishes well above the top of the Mortirolo. Simple math - similar or greater elevation gain than the Mortirolo in a couple of less kms. This thing is a beast with multiple extended stretches of 20 and 25 percent - not just short ramps. Two sections were marked at 20% and 3 sections at 25%. Sorry no photos of the 25% signs (the photographer would not get off her bike at those spots :P ). I found it massively harder than the Mortirolo climb. Hardest thing I have ever done on a bike. Wish I had a GPS to give some actual stats - sorry. The interesting thing is that I can find no mention of this climb anywhere. None of the locals I spoke with even knew about it let alone have climbed it. The surface appears rough in the photos but is actually very good.

Post subject: Re: For Mortirolo Fans
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:26 pm 

Cool pics. Especially the second one. Looks like mad fun... if climbing is ever such a thing! :lol:

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:26 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:48 pm 
Administrator

wow, just wow!

great effort and thanks for posting. somehow it reminds me of Punta Veleno at the edge of Lake Garda.
The area around bormio is realy nice. I visited once, when i was still into climbing (alpine, not by bike) and to this day i regret that i didn't bring my bike.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 pm 

Very interesting indeed! I've done the Mortirolo from Mazzo de Valltelina on two occasions. Next time I'll definately check out your find! I think I can guess the road up from Megno on the map, but could you please mark it on a map and post here or post a gps track? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:43 pm 

JKolmo wrote:
Very interesting indeed! I've done the Mortirolo from Mazzo de Valltelina on two occasions. Next time I'll definately check out your find! I think I can guess the road up from Megno on the map, but could you please mark it on a map and post here or post a gps track? Thanks!

This link will take you to the spot on Google maps. Zoom out and you can see the whole ridge and the Mortirolo.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/25040+Megno+Province+of+Brescia,+Italy/@46.1735089,10.2596918,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x4783a59ccb4980ad:0xeb4b69227acd2b70!2sMortirolo+Pass!3b1!8m2!3d46.2479261!4d10.2983079!3m4!1s0x4783ba8b0739b601:0xf5920deba5fe04ba!8m2!3d46.1729659!4d10.2612734

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:31 am 

Very Nice!
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:29 pm 

great road, I'd consider that a 'pathway' over here in the US. I bet it was full of surprises!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:13 pm 

4151zero wrote:
great road, I'd consider that a 'pathway' over here in the US. I bet it was full of surprises!

I've had the pleasure of doing major climbs on even smaller roads. A lot of people who visit Europe to ride go after the major passes and cols made famous in the various grand tours. They are fun and not to be missed, but the greatest riding is always on the small unknown roads where the pro peloton and caravan wouldn't have a hope of getting through. At least for the riders, the climbs often aren't the issue, rather the descents would be completely unsafe if you were pushing it in the slightest. I climbed both sides of the Stelvio the next day. It was like a vacation compared to this type of madness.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:19 am 

Did it 5 years ago from Bormio as well. Simply brutal. I had a compact and a 25 or 27 in the back. Was nearly dead by the time I got to the top and I am a fat/short non-climber from flat FL. Had to take an extra 20K detour due to closed roads. That hurt just as much if not worse than the climb itself!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm 

Mr.Gib you freakin' legend 8) That was awesome. You know it's a steep climb when the 15% sections are a good place to sit in and rest your standing muscles for a minute :lol: Also without trying that road I wouldn't have ridden the ridge road which is just lovely. Stunning views in places. Would use bigger than a 28 next time though :unbelievable:

Here's the Strava doofer https://www.strava.com/activities/1156803510 Interestingly the KOM on the Megno climb is held by Massarob.info - Pretty sure there's a @Massarob who posts on here?

Side note, the 'Ciao Michele' stencilling at the top of the Mortirolo was very touching.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:08 am 

My experience in this area of Italy is that the Mortirolo was the least traveled by other road users for the major climbs, by a lot. This was a real treat. I rode the Mort then over to the Gavia to get back to Bormio. I hit the Gavia around lunchtime and the road was bonkers crazy with traffic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:51 am 

wingguy wrote:
Mr.Gib you freakin' legend 8) That was awesome. You know it's a steep climb when the 15% sections are a good place to sit in and rest your standing muscles for a minute :lol: Also without trying that road I wouldn't have ridden the ridge road which is just lovely. Stunning views in places. Would use bigger than a 28 next time though :unbelievable:

Here's the Strava doofer https://www.strava.com/activities/1156803510 Interestingly the KOM on the Megno climb is held by Massarob.info - Pretty sure there's a @Massarob who posts on here?

Side note, the 'Ciao Michele' stencilling at the top of the Mortirolo was very touching.

:thumbup: Nice one, glad you found it. The best part is not having to share the road with anyone. And yes the ridge road is a very nice pay off. Impressive on a 28. Glad I had the 32 though, a 28 might have been too much torture for me - I am definitely no climber. Many of my most memorable rides have involved roads like this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:15 am 

Nice find, I'll look out for it next time. I rode the same from Mazzo past Pantani monument till the pass, I then rode down to Ponte de Legno up the Gavia, it rained from the bottom of the Gavia all the way to the top (some sections are over 15%), virtually no traffic. Then it snowed at the top, shivering I entered the sole restaurant for some food and warmth around their Fire place, this was in the middle of the summer! After an hour I decended back into Bormio which has to be one the great fast decents around, onto Mazzo then climbed Mortirolo again. Ok, I started the Mortirolo fresh well you try and climb the 2nd time around after the Gavia, makes it twice as hard, simply brutal. I then came back down to Mazzo back to Bormio where I was staying.

If you want a harder climb, drive to Ascona in Switzerland on the Swiss Italian speaking side not far from Lake Como probably 3 hours drive from Bormio and climb "Largo di Naret" a hidden gem, most Northern Italian's and Swiss will tell you it's the hardest climb in Europe. You'll suffer beyond comprehension but be rewarded with a top mountain lake in one of the worlds beautiful places, highly recommended. Though be aware the climb is extremely steep and extremely hard and should be attempted when in good form! a 32km climb http://www.cycling-challenge.com/lago-d ... tyPhoto/1/ the grads don't look that daunting well I know the grads are much worse and the length of the climb is immense.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:15 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:30 pm 

wingguy wrote:

Massarob= Roberto Massa, one of the most respected coaches in Italy. He's registered here as Rob81