Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:46 pm 

I am assigned with task of building a custom repair stand, I have a ton of ideas already and drew up a plan. However I would like to hear if theres any of you wished your stand has or a feature is left to be desired!
It would be axle/bottom bracket mount orientated, ability to accommodate any where from road bikes to fat bikes.
-Thru axle/skewer qr
-Bottle Opener
-Small magnetic bowl
-Stowable + Lightweight
-MAYBE will add a basic truing stand that allows one to straighten the wheel sufficiently to continue riding
-Majority of parts would be cnc machined
-If budget allows it almost everything would be hard anodized

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:46 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:42 pm 

I have to ask.... Why? Are there not enough good stands currently on the market that can do all that you list? Also, I have several stands, and each has it's pluses and minuses. For instance, the locked fork/bottom bracket stand is nice for wrapping tape since I like the front end to be solid. It also swivels around at will giving easy access to most points of interest. I also like if for final tuning of derailleurs etc. On the other hand, I prefer the type that just clamp the seatpost for various other things, like initial cabling where I want to be able to turn the bars fully to either side of the top tube to ensure that I have just the right amount of cable housing, not too much, and not too little, just right. Also, routing cables through the downtube I like to be able to swivel the whole bike almost vertical for easy access to the exit point at the bottom bracket, which you can't do with the previous mentioned style of stand. And I prefer it for final adjusting of brakes where your want the wheel in the fork, and to be able to turn the bars for clear access to the front brake mounting nut.

I'm just not seeing any need for anyone to go off trying to build a custom frame, unless it's just a project you want to do for fun and the experience. Do you really think you'll be able to produce something better for a similar cost than what's already out there?

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 pm 

I am on my last year at university for Computer Integrated Machining Technology, my professor and I got together and he tossed up idea of independent study course to build something. As both of us are cyclists and repair stand naturally came along to the idea since I dont have one yet. Cost is not concern, we have stockpiles of scrapped aluminum and various of metals. I am required to put in at least 380 hours of design, 3d modeling, and lastly fabrication to meet the criteria of the course that my professor and I created.

In short, basically for fun. I want to make something with similar quality of Silca that I do not see any bicycle stands out there resemblance any similarities. I envision, almost no plastics, almost everything will be made out of alloys and few bits would be some form of exotic wood :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:42 am 

Ok. That makes sense. I thought it might be some student project or such. I guess a stand that would fulfill both needs as I mentioned in my previous post would be kinda cool. Otherwise it's d be hard pressed to come up with something that isn't already available.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 am 

Maybe you should think about a project you could sell after to make a few bucks? Kickstarter?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:19 am 

What Calnago has stated in his first post, is the exactly the reasons I have 2 workstands. If you could incorporate all of this into one workstand, you would be on a winner I reckon.

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:19 am