Bike hire Mallorca - bring my powermeter?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I am looking for a place to rent bicycles in Mallorca. I was in contact with Canyon.Base, but they were very slow at responding, and in the end didn't have disc brake bikes, and don't allow that I install my own crankset. Unfortunately now I am in a bit of a hurry (we arrive Monday morning).

Am I being unrealistic? Do you know of any places where I could rent a bike that would allow me to install my own crankset (Rotor 3D+, which is unfortunate, as I see most rental bikes are running Shimano cranksets).

Any recommendations are very welcome :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Sounds unrealistic. Just go and enjoy the scenery. Buy some power meter pedals if you travel a lot.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

or a crank arm based PM (shimano ones are easy to swap)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I just got the Power2Max NG, so I'm not buying another one right now. I guess I'll just ride without :)

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Where will you be staying?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Son Servera 24th to 29th
Felanitx 29th to 31st

If you have any nice routes around these areas, I'd be grateful too (otherwise I'm going to be doing the monastery climb a million times I guess) :)

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Im afraid as I live in Caimari I mostly do mountains, Ill ask a mate of mine whos a ride captain for Stephen Roche for routes in that area, Betlem, north of Arta, is a banging little climb, and Randas also pretty reachable from there
Was tying to hook you up with a rental co which could do it but the nearest one I know to you is NiuWave in Alcudia, contact Pedro, www.niuwavebicicletes.com assuming the BB is the same Im sure hell be OK to swap in your whole crankset
There is also rumors of a guy who rents Power Meters on the island, Ive asked a couple of buddies and will post if I find something.
The Manager of the Rapha store in Palma, Kennet, is also a dane with links to Dandanell rental so you could ask him!

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I might take the car to the Northern/Western part of the island one of the days, but it would be great with those routes, if you can get them :)

I don't mind picking up the bikes, we have a car while we're there. I have been in contact with a guy from S'Escapada (very friendly, and replied quickly), and it seems they have Cannondale Synapse disc bikes, and they wouldn't mind swapping the cranksets. They are approx. 40 min. drive from where we're staying according to Google Maps. I can live with that.

I didn't consider it before I bought the crankset, but it seems most of the rental bikes use Shimano cranksets, and thus it wouldn't be possible to swap in my Rotor 3D+ crankset. However, with Cannondale, of course it's different, because they often use their own cranksets, which are 30 mm.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Id forgotten about Sescapada (since they closed down in INCA near me they are dead to me), the reason I proposed NiuWave is he seems to be able to get hold of a big range of types of bikes so some would be BB30 (or is it PF??) compatible. Also a Swedish guy called Anders runs Bikehead.cc from Palma with a huge range of Cannondale bikes but a long trip.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I have just booked two bikes via S'Escapada. Fortunately, they have their rental bikes in Campos, which is very close to where we will spend the last two days, so perfect really. The guy I corresponded with via e-mail was very kind, and I'm really happy that they allow me to use my power meter. I have sent something like 15 e-mails the past week, three responded within two days, the guys from S'Escapada responded within few hours. I'll give a small review when we return.

Thanks for the tips, and if anyone can recommend any routes around the Eastern part of the island, I'm happy to hear about it (Strava links would be fine, secret routes you can send via PM, and of course I won't share if that's the case).

Mep

by Mep

I rented from S'Escapada when I was there a couple months back, good experience all around. Manolo is a great guy and very accommodating.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Great to hear. That has also been my experience so far. I think the other companies could learn a thing or two from him (e.g., responding faster) :)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

As mentioned, I just bought a Power2Max NG, so I'm not buying another power meter any time soon. I have already found a place that will install my crankset, so I'm good to go. Why not bring my power meter when I have one? :)

The Powerpod also doesn't look like anything I would consider using. Thanks anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com