New shoes, Bont and Giro?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

1415chris

by 1415chris

If the volume is a concern, Superfeet Carbon insoles. I use them across Sidi Wire and Bont Vaypor S (both oryginal insoles are thin and flat, not giving sufficient arch support).

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thank you for all your input!

Based on my current issue with my shoe feet combo, and what other have said with Bont, I feel like I might run into the same problem/similar issues.

So I shall go for the SLX, I went to a LBS and tried them on, amazing light! for the price tag, you feel like your getting no shoe, but they felt very comfortable on the foot, but that was for a few minutes.

I shall report back my findings when they arrive. £179 from PBK with a discount code.

Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beatle

by beatle

I know the OP made a decision, but I am a dissenter to most of the opinions expressed.
Wanting a light, aero shoe, both the bont zero + and giro slx came on my radar. The first bonts I had didn't fit (sizing is bonkers) [I wear 45 in everything but bont for which I wear a 46] and so I went with the slx after selling the bonts: light and aero yes but if you have wide feet they are tight in the width. I wear a wide in spec. shoes and fit in the giros but clearly the sides bulge out. No big deal but not the best fit.
The giros have already been quite scuffed up, now I don't baby my shoes but no other shoes have been so fragile for me.
There are also two big issues for me. The loose grip on my heel which is apparent when sprinting or out of the saddle climbing. The bonts have a distinct advantage here: they hold your foot very solidly to the pedal, it feels that you are directly attached. The other issue which is nit picking but I realize that for as much as I get in and out of my shoes, many days that is 6 times, laces are a pain to deal with compared to a dial. I would bet laces are better aero-wise though. The overall quality of the bonts looks better to me. So after months of searching for a good used pair or a deal on a new pair, I finally have bonts back as my main shoe. Much happier now. The giros might even be sold.

Overall, it sounds like it comes down to which fits better, much like helmet selection.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

beatle wrote:I know the OP made a decision, but I am a dissenter to most of the opinions expressed.
Wanting a light, aero shoe, both the bont zero + and giro slx came on my radar. The first bonts I had didn't fit (sizing is bonkers) [I wear 45 in everything but bont for which I wear a 46] and so I went with the slx after selling the bonts: light and aero yes but if you have wide feet they are tight in the width. I wear a wide in spec. shoes and fit in the giros but clearly the sides bulge out. No big deal but not the best fit.
The giros have already been quite scuffed up, now I don't baby my shoes but no other shoes have been so fragile for me.
There are also two big issues for me. The loose grip on my heel which is apparent when sprinting or out of the saddle climbing. The bonts have a distinct advantage here: they hold your foot very solidly to the pedal, it feels that you are directly attached. The other issue which is nit picking but I realize that for as much as I get in and out of my shoes, many days that is 6 times, laces are a pain to deal with compared to a dial. I would bet laces are better aero-wise though. The overall quality of the bonts looks better to me. So after months of searching for a good used pair or a deal on a new pair, I finally have bonts back as my main shoe. Much happier now. The giros might even be sold.

Overall, it sounds like it comes down to which fits better, much like helmet selection.

Like you said. It's a personal decision. I stopped using my bont sprints because of the slipping heel issue. I couldn't tighten the boas enough. On the other hand the giro empires feel secure and comfortable at the same time.