BB30 bearings re-usable?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

My S-Works Tarmac is only a few months old and it’s had very little use but the bottom bracket is starting to creak already. I’ve eliminated any other possible suspects and have pulled off the crankset and re-greased, all to no avail, so it’s now time to have a closer look at the interface between the BB30 bearings and the cups.

Now here’s the question – the bearings are Ceramic Speed so I’d rather not bin them unless it’s absolutely necessary. If I carefully tap them out using the Park Tool BBT30 kit, and there’s no apparent damage, is there any problem in re-using them? Or does the actual removal process render them un-usable? Ta.

PS Press fit BBs really are an atrociously bad idea!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

best install and removal tool that i have used is the Enduro one. no impact...and eases the bearings out or press in. i have an extractor for 24mm spindles which i don't care for much because they cause too much impact on the bearing races. bearings may just have grit in them...which you'll have to remove the seals and ideally, ultrasonic clean them. regrease with ceramic speed grease, put seals back on and press them back in.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

1415chris

by 1415chris

I would ditch plastik cups and replace them with aluminium threaded together insert, such as Wheels Mfg. Since you have CS bearings you could go for the cheapest Wheels Mfg bearing version ABEC 3.

Hammering any bearings especially ceramic ones wouldn't be on my list to do.

Bearing removal/instalation tool, 24mm and 30mm, works very well