Back pain after 10 minutes of ride.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kriss1

by kriss1

Hello friends!

I am having a trouble with my back after riding only for a few minutes ( 10- 15 minutes) on my Cannondale road bike. I have been using this bike for almost 2 years now and I have never felt an issue before. The trouble only lasts for about half an hour or so after I stop the ride. When I start riding again, it starts again.
I am used to other tasks like lifting heavy objects, work out daily, but one of them cause any trouble at all.
I am worried if I may have to quit riding. I can’t think about quitting biking as this is something I love to do a lot and one of the few things that keeps me sane and relaxed after hours of job in from of computers.
Can someone help me diagnose the issue? How can I try and rectify it? I am worried to go seek a doctor’s advice now. But if someone here could give me a glimmer of hope, I will feel much better.

AJS914

by AJS914

Have you had any kind of professional fitting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

more importantly, has anything changed (eg, injury however minor, etc) on your body or changed on your bike between when you didn't have issues/now?
Chasse patate

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try some stretching before the ride. I normally can't reach the floor with my hands, but after some stretching I can and it allows me to get into more of a race fit without discomfort. Lower back and thighs get more loose but you need to stretch patiently.

Possibly this can help you too...

/a

wwnick

by wwnick

alcatraz wrote:Try some stretching before the ride. I normally can't reach the floor with my hands, but after some stretching I can and it allows me to get into more of a race fit without discomfort. Lower back and thighs get more loose but you need to stretch patiently.

Possibly this can help you too...

+1 for stretching

but it seem something may have changed with out you noticing, seat slipped back or down?
personally I would stay away from these charlatans that call themselves bike fitters, just experiment on your own

gceniza

by gceniza

I would recommend you see a physical therapist. This is a probably a classic case of shortening of your psoas muscles (technically the entire iliopsoas group). You can stretch your hamstrings until the cows come home and you may exacerbate the problem. Psoas shortening the the probably the most common cause of back issues with cyclists.

Have a look at this helpful description ... http://www.trihardist.com/2010/02/that- ... -back.html

McKenzie therapy is a widely used physical therapy technique prescribed by physicians, physical therapists, and chiros. IMO, every cyclist should be doing this as part of their daily routine ... https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/e ... -back-pain.

My advice is to be proactive with treating this. Minor back issues left unchecked can lead to debilitating back problems that affect much more of your life than merely cycling.

c60rider

by c60rider

I don't know which country you're based in but I'm a physiotherapist myself. Most Doctors will just say don't do whatever activity is causing you the pain and take a pain killer! In the UK it's best to go to a Doctor with a specific plan in which case request to be referred to a physiotherapist. Most Doctors are happy just to do that and get you out the door as quick as they can. If you ended up seeing me then you'll be in luck being a cyclist myself but not all of them will get to the route of the problem depending on their expertise. Alternatively seek one out privately who has a particular interest in cycling. It's very unusual for anyone to have to stop cycling permanently because of a back problem. With respect to anyone on here I wouldn't listen to any advice as to the specific cause of your pain as everyone is different and I wouldn't recommend anything myself without seeing you in person. There are several areas I would suspect but that would be down to the expert you hopefully end up seeing. Good luck.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A good chance that pain after just 10 minutes after years of no issues is not just some tight muscles or a bad bike fit. There could be something wrong. Could be a disc bulging and interfering with a nerve, perhaps facet joint damage and inflammation. Maybe even an unstable spine has resulted in muscle spasms. These problems could spontaneously stop hurting or they could get worse. In either case you need a proper assessment. An x-ray and in an ideal world an MRI is a good idea. Physio therapy is always the first line of defense. Back surgery is the last. In some cases chiropractic can be helpful - must find a good one though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kantcantcamp

by kantcantcamp

I'm 32 and i have three damaged discs in my back, and they appeared relatively out of nowhere. So i think that you should contact a sports ortho and discuss your back pain with him/her, At first i had a wonky diagnose from a regular doctor, but after having numbness in my legs i decided to get a second opinion.these days i'm much still get a bit stiff after i ride, but through having a routine of core exercises i manage to do long rides with a pretty aggressive fit.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

kriss1 wrote:Hello friends!

I am having a trouble with my back after riding only for a few minutes ( 10- 15 minutes) on my Cannondale road bike. I have been using this bike for almost 2 years now and I have never felt an issue before. The trouble only lasts for about half an hour or so after I stop the ride. When I start riding again, it starts again.
I am used to other tasks like lifting heavy objects, work out daily, but one of them cause any trouble at all.
I am worried if I may have to quit riding. I can’t think about quitting biking as this is something I love to do a lot and one of the few things that keeps me sane and relaxed after hours of job in from of computers.
Can someone help me diagnose the issue? How can I try and rectify it? I am worried to go seek a doctor’s advice now. But if someone here could give me a glimmer of hope, I will feel much better.

Flexibility and posture can change over time. The body can compensate for a while until it can't. If you're having discomfort when doing other chores or activity see a doctor. Otherwise I noticed your on a bike designed for criteriums. Maybe you now need a different geometry and a new fitting. Unless you are doing crit races I'm not sure why you are on that bike in the first place. It's a great bike but for a certain purpose.

And can never be a bad idea to see a doctor, worry is a tax on a debt that never comes due. an othopedist might put your mind at ease.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Fiery

by Fiery

Why do you think CAAD 12 is a bike designed for criteriums? Is the SuperSix also a criterium bike? The geometries of the two bikes are almost identical.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

If you're in the US, find yourself a good physical therapist, outside the US (as was mentioned, find a physiotherapist). I'm in the US and after riding w/ all kinds of back/hip pain for years (and wasting lots of money trying to figure out/fix it w/ doctors, fittings, equipment), it was a physical therapist that figured out all my mobility issues, mainly due to lack of core strength and lack of stretching. It was even to the point that certain muscles were not firing correctly which screwed things up even worse.

I also worked out regularly, but it was PT that gave me the correct exercises and taught me how to stretch correctly as well.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mrseasons

by Mrseasons

I sometimes get the same, but i've started doing some moderate yoga and it has eased off quite alot.