Canyon Australia

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

moonoi

by moonoi

Has anyone had issues with being asked to pay GST by UPS even though you've already paid it to Canyon at point of sale?

I'm in this situation now, and trying to contact Canyon is a nightmare, very slow response to emails and their chat service is constantly busy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

According to NZ discussion that I've seen all you do is pay Canyon, they cover the GST it's included in the website price. Can't imagine it being different in Aus.

moonoi

by moonoi

That's what I thought, and my invoice shows I paid the GST already as well, that's why I'm puzzled by the request from UPS, the difficulty contacting them about it really doesn't help either...

moonoi

by moonoi

I guess no one else has had issues, however this is the response I got from their social media team, since their service chat is never available...
Anyway I'm in progress to ask UPS to return it, and sort out a refund from Canyon, since I'm not prepared to pay GST twice on the same items

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Sent to Singapore, buyers here have to pay the local GST too.

moonoi

by moonoi

Yeah but in Australia they state no local GST to pay, as Canyon collect it for you.

You can even find an interview with the local representative for Canyon in Australia on Cycling Tips clearing stating that there is no additional taxes to pay.

I did however manage to get in touch with Canyon Germany, only for them to say I shouldn't have to pay GST, but they can't help and I need to speak to their Australian Agent, which I'd been trying to do unsuccessfully all day :(

Not the best experience so far

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Kayrehn wrote:Sent to Singapore, buyers here have to pay the local GST too.

But not VAT.

moonoi

by moonoi

And just to show what I mean, you can see on the bottom of my invoice that I've already paid the GST/VAT...

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Yup, EU VAT is not part of the cost [emoji1] A friend who shuttles between Spain and Singapore finds it cheaper to buy in Singapore than within EU cos of that.

moonoi

by moonoi

Not quite sure what you're getting at, I know I have to pay local GST which is 10%. My point is I've already paid it, but UPS in Australia is demanding I pay again.

To make it worse, they've used the price including the already paid GST to calculate what is due.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yes invoice clearly shows he's been charged 682,44 AUD in VAT. Looks like you're about to get double taxed.

Personally I'd pay UPS to get the bike ASAP, then take the fight to Canyon for a refund on that. If Canyon get prickly, then file it with the credit card company, if you paid by CC that it.

moonoi

by moonoi

So to close this one off, I finally managed to get hold of knowledgable people at Canyon Australia.

The reason it was double charged was due to an error in their systems that dispatched with the wrong code, as my account address with Canyon is in Thailand. Which would also explain why no one else in Australia has experienced this problem.

They are now sorting it out, and I won't be double taxed on it. So kudos to them for sorting it out, and I'll soon get my lovely new bike!

I do think though that Canyon need to train all their staff that respond to global issues on their local policies to avoid giving conflicting and confusing information to their customers.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

moonoi wrote:I do think though that Canyon need to train all their staff that respond to global issues on their local policies to avoid giving conflicting and confusing information to their customers.

I totally agree. As it is now you can ask the same question to 3 different people on 4 different occasions and get 5 different answers.

mariareese

by mariareese

Kayrehn wrote:Yup, EU VAT is not part of the cost [emoji1] A friend who shuttles between Spain and Singapore finds it cheaper to buy in Singapore than within EU cos of that.

Its helping me out at some points .. working on it to get detailed knowledge .. hope this website will help in upcoming days.. thanks

NGtim

by NGtim

Glad you managed to work it out. The guys at Canyon Aus have been great to deal with during the process of purchasing my Aeroad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com