Skinny tires in the TdF

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Anybody notice most riders using 23c or less in Le Tour? Even on that opening TT.
Looks like fairly high tire pressures, too, judging by the lack of tire compression seen in still frame shots.
Wondering if this is the ol' "ham sandwich in the mussette" mentality.
You would think pro riders are ahead of the curve on us.
Or does the pro team research differ from the data fed to us from tire and rim companies? :noidea:
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, this is kind of like the "Why is no one using disc brakes in the tour" thread.

I haven't personally noticed what size tires most riders are using in the tour, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are just as many riders on 23's s there are on 25's. It's not like there are any huge heavyweights riding around there. I'm sure they're pretty much all on tubulars at least, with maybe an exception or two in the time trials. And I suspect they are mostly on 25mm tubulars, which are very close in size to what you get when you mount a 23mm clincher tire to a slightly wider (say 17mm internal rim width) rim. Where did you come up with this tidbit of information? Or are you just creating another entertainment thread?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Just an observation, from pics and vids.
I'm presently riding some 22c tubulars (latex tubes), which feel a lot like 25c clinchers (std tubes).
My tubs measure more like 20-21.
Oldbie

bilwit

by bilwit

As I understand it, wider tires only roll better when compared to skinnier ones at the same air pressure. Skinnier tire pumped to hell still have less rolling resistance and are more aero, but obviously this would likely be detrimental in a downpour TT like Stage 1. It's also not just about the what the tire label says anyway, many teams put 23mm tire but they actually measure wider (24-25mm) because of the hoops they're using.

wingguy

by wingguy

bilwit wrote:It's also not just about the what the tire label says anyway, many teams put 23mm tire but they actually measure wider (24-25mm) because of the hoops they're using.

Doesn't work that way with tubs.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Kittel has been using 26mm Specialized tubs, on disc wheels.

Good enough for three stage wins thus far.

Actually, that extra couple of millimeters in radius might have helped earn him that last win.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

This is JUST like the disc brakes issue. Recreational riders love disc brakes and big soft tires. Rim brakes and skinny hard tires are faster* so that's what racers use. Add compact chainrings, 32t cassettes, and tall headtubes to the list. Nothing wrong with being comfortable and going slow (I mean for you, I couldn't hide the shame.)

*Unless you're riding in the rain on crappy pavement, which most of the time racers are not.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

23c tyres will measure 25-26mm on recent-decent rims anyway..

wingguy

by wingguy

vejnemojnen wrote:23c tyres will measure 25-26mm on recent-decent rims anyway..

(Echo, echo, echo..... :P )

askeAnker

by askeAnker

Here's a closer look. 25 and 26 mm for all teams. Not in TT though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/a ... ance-50337

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Lelandjt wrote:This is JUST like the disc brakes issue. Recreational riders love disc brakes and big soft tires. Rim brakes and skinny hard tires are faster* so that's what racers use. Add compact chainrings, 32t cassettes, and tall headtubes to the list. Nothing wrong with being comfortable and going slow (I mean for you, I couldn't hide the shame.)

*Unless you're riding in the rain on crappy pavement, which most of the time racers are not.

Today's race in the Jura was a great day to ride 26mm tubulars.

Like many of the racers on the course today. :)

mattr

by mattr

Lelandjt wrote:*Unless you're riding in the rain on crappy pavement, which most of the time racers are not.
I think we need to know where you live, everywhere I've lived, raced or ridden has had tarmac rough enough that the "narrow hard fast" mantra was rubbish the vast majority of the time.

Kurets

by Kurets

This is always a clinch between what the generally overweight new cyclists need and what sub 70kg racers need. 25mm tubulars are now the standard in the pro peloton and what data I can find shows that the aerodynamic penalty of going wider outweights the rolling resistance benefits for non-cobbled races. And anyone who has ridden 25mm tubulars to compare with 25mm non-race clinchers know that the tubular is considerably more comfortable than the clincher.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

wingguy wrote:
vejnemojnen wrote:23c tyres will measure 25-26mm on recent-decent rims anyway..

(Echo, echo, echo..... :P )

Hahahaha. Wingguy, that made my day. Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com