Castelli bib shorts: do they stretch with use?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I have other bib shorts from other manufacturers that started out very tight and with time they stretched out to be perfect. Do castelli shorts stretch with time and use?

I happen to be in between sizes and I really want to make this work. The fit of the medium bibs is ok, but the inseam is too long making it slightly flapping right above my knees. On the other hand the small bib seems to be very tight.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

nemeseri wrote:I have other bib shorts from other manufacturers that started out very tight and with time they stretched out to be perfect. Do castelli shorts stretch with time and use?

I happen to be in between sizes and I really want to make this work. The fit of the medium bibs is ok, but the inseam is too long making it slightly flapping right above my knees. On the other hand the small bib seems to be very tight.

they don't, and they tend to rip on the seams if too tight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Over time they do eventually stretch. On Castelli I wear a medium bib and a large jersey. I'm 170cm tall and weigh 62 kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Yeah, I'm very close to you with my 169cm / 59kg. The problem is that I have super short legs and wide thighs / hip :(
Maybe castelli bibs aren't for me then. I will try them again and see how I feel about them.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Castelli cut seems to favor a smaller hip and skinnier legs. I have a pair of Assos bib shorts (size medium) that is a better for me, a shorter rider just like you. The Assos shorts is a bit shorter and a bit wider than the medium Castelli. You might want to give Assos a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thanks for the tip. I have multiple assos shorts and I really like them. Although castelli's lighter / thinner chamois is appealing. Also I own multiple castelli jerseys and it would be great to have matching shorts.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I heve been using Castelli bibs for quite long time. Previous Aero, current Aero (?) the ones with meshy very stretchy leg grippers, Body Paint, Mondiale (by far best Castelli bibs) and few others Kiss padded. I haven't noticed any stretch over the time. Yes, they have tighter fit than Rapha PT, Assos Tcento.
Mondiale is a bit roomier, maybe due to less stretchy material used. And if somebody is wondering which of the bibs' seam is going to fail first, Castelli is your bet ;)

TonyM

by TonyM

171cm/ 68kg.
Castelli M is perfect. None of my castelli shorts stretch.
Assos is best for me just between S and M. They do stretch.
Rapha M (Best would be between S and M). They also stretch.
Last edited by TonyM on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

174cm/72k I went L because I felt M was too tight. This the the race team bib. First year ok, second year and the grips have stretched and now flap with the wind...

nickcube

by nickcube

172cm and 60kg, I go for small in both bibs and jerseys, never had an issue with stretching really. I go xs bibs and small jerseys in rapha for reference

chorus88

by chorus88

168cm & 55kg, I wear the 2016 Free Aero & Inferno bibshorts in small. The Inferno shorts are slightly shorter than the Free Aero. Both shorts don't stretch.
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I guess I just have to drop that last 3 kgs and I had no problem anymore.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I don't think I had any long enough to stretch before they fell apart.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com