Zwift questions...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

silvalis

by silvalis

You select a category A-D - which have ftp w/kg guidelines.

Nothing to stop people sandbagging or faking their weight though... it's the internet.
Although I think they do some post-race sorting.
Chasse patate

Deveron53

by Deveron53

AJS914 wrote:I plan on trying Zwift this winter. We had a long winter last winter...

How do you get matched in a race with people of similar ability?

Most race categories are organized A-D based on watts per kg from your weight and ftp. It's not a perfect system but it's a start. A lot of races are set off in category order so you'll just have your category around you. If your category is a bit thin on people of a similar level, you may find yourself TTing in no man's land a lot. Some races have a mass start and so if you're feeling a bit down on power, you'll drift back and find yourself in a mixed group on the road with a few of the faster riders from the lower category (or vice versa!).
I race in the Masters series which is based on age groups. Riders form naturally into groups on the road but usually they are all from different age categories so will all work together to push on and try to catch the group ahead.

There is a race or event (group ride) setting off every 15 minutes it seems. And that's 24 hours a day! It's global.

After you finish a race, you check your Strava and find that according to all your zones, you worked harder than you ever did in the real world!

It is possible to cheat but those individuals usually get found out and some race organisers are very strict and will DQ any suspect competitor. There is even a Zwift Anti Doping Agency! They are responsible for policing the top end competitors claiming more than 5w/kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eyedrop

by eyedrop

I found someone local selling a Wahoo Kickr Power Trainer Model: WFBKTRNR for $600. Says it was refurbished from wahoo a year and a half ago, used 2 times, and sitting in garage ever since. Says its working. I looked up the warranty info, and Wahoo only does a 1 year warranty and it does not transfer. So if something goes wrong, I could be out some money. Considering these sell for $750+ all day long on eBay, should I buy it?

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd buy it in a sec if it's working. Can you test it before you hand over the cash?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If you have time: I would first test one out at a store. Lots of stores are running Zwift displays to sell trainers. Note how it sounds, then go try out the guy's trainer. If it sounds the same, and you can pair it with your phone and maybe get a small "workout" in (10-15 minutes, taking it up in speed, etc), then I would pick it up.

chipomarc

by chipomarc

Sorry guys, but a steady diet of group rides / races is not training.
Ditch that Zwift thing, and go with TrainerRoad

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Zwift has a great training program, too. Lots of options, including user created options.

silvalis

by silvalis

I did a user created step test workout in zwift the other day.

It was horrible.
Chasse patate