French Pyrenees vs French Alps

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Rondje wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
djcharlou wrote:Doing both this summer too as i'm doing "Marmotte Granfondo Alps" (174k 5000mD+) and "Marmotte Granfondo Pyrennees" (163k 5500mD+ . Doing the Alpe d'huez TT on 30/06 too as a prologue ;)

Maybe some of you in the alps end of june/early july ?

We'll be passing each other in the airport. I'm doing Vaujany Oisans as I'm not quite Marmotte material

Are you going for a smaller route then? Because if I remember correctly a friend of mine's time on the Vuajany was pretty close to his Marmotte time.

On topic:
I've only been to the Pyrenees once (and in May) and the Alpes multiple times. The Alpes are definitely busier, but like havana said, the weather also seems more stable.

I thought Vaujany was a tough but slightly smaller version of Marmotte. Officially I'm signed up for Vaujany Senior. I descend slow and there was concern that while I'm more than capable of the climbs my descents would keep me too far behind.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Rondje

by Rondje

A bit less altitude gain, but the distance is almost the same on the master version. Skipping the Sarenne descend might be a good idea if your not to happy descending. Never rode that side it but I believe it's trickier then Alpe D'huez descend. Oh and keep some energy left for Vaujany itself, it's a nasty one (steep). Had our Chalet on 1/3rd of that climb last year.

/Sorry for all the off topic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The descent of Col de la Sarenne is made more challenging by the surface that is not that great. Near the top there are multiple rivers that cross the surface of the road in a sort of cobbled trough. You want slow up for those. There are some fun switchbacks and twisties near the top. Last time I was there the surface was patchy chip seal. Also expect sheep on the road at any time. It's a technical descent but manageable if you want to take it slow. Personally, if I climbed the Alpe, I would never miss and opportunity to descend la Sarenne - it's beautiful.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Antoine

by Antoine

I like better the Pyrénées, quieter and less touristy because the Alps are closer from northern european countries and from large french cities.
And there is less population living there.
In my experience the weather is better and the roads are good. Local people are nicer too.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Antoine wrote:I like better the Pyrénées, quieter and less touristy because the Alps are closer from northern european countries and from large french cities.
In my experience the weather is better and the roads are good. Local people are nicer too.

I'm super psyched over doing the col du tourmalet this September. I've never done an epic climb at the end of a season where I'm theoretically in better shape than in the Spring. I didn't get to do Mare de Déu del Mont this past March on account of weather so this will be what I hope to be a comparable if not harder climb, but next year I will certainly go back to Girona and climb Mare de Déu del Mont to see how fast I can do it and to see the scenery from that part of Catalonia
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

pastronef

by pastronef

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Antoine wrote:I like better the Pyrénées, quieter and less touristy because the Alps are closer from northern european countries and from large french cities.

I'm super psyched over doing the col du tourmalet this September. I've never done an epic climb at the end of a season where I'm theoretically in better shape than in the Spring. I didn't get to do Mare de Déu del Mont this past March on account of weather so this will be what I hope to be a comparable if not harder climb, but next year I will certainly go back to Girona and climb Mare de Déu del Mont to see how fast I can do it and to see the scenery from that part of Catalonia

Mare de Deu is 1000 meters lower than Tourmalet though, but the last part is steep, after the church-monastery. also, Mare de Deu from Besalu-Beuda has steeper sections before joining the road from Cabanelles. did them in February 2013-2104, 2 years in a row, I find the Beuda side scarier, dont know why.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed my week in the French Alps. Got to go up Col de la Morte and Alpe de Huez and a bunch other climbs. My host for the week Campo Bicicleta did an awesome job helping me prepare and acclimate. I'm seriously thinking about returning and doing the Marmotte now. The Vaujany cyclo is rather small, I think only about 500 riders, but very well organized and loads of fun. Could not have had better weather. The route was a little scary before I rode it, as the last 5k is a 9% climb up Vaujany but once I got there it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Highly reccomend this little brother to the Marmotte. And how great was it that my home for the week was 50 meters from the start and just a few kilometers from the end.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

dolophonic

by dolophonic

:up: :beerchug: :thumbup:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Pyrenees is next. But I really did like the French Alps.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)