Which lightweight master lock to protect your bike?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

During the hot summer season I sometimes have to buy some water at a gas station etc...and I really don't feel well leaving my bike outside the shop during my purchase.

It is so easy for some driver at the gas station to just take the bike and put it in the car or here in their pick up truck and drive away.

Which lightweight method do you use to keep your bike safe during your purchase? Lightweight master lock? Which one?

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

I use the Abus Combiflex 202 lock for this purpose. Cable is really thin, could be cut with a regular cutters; will only deter people from taking your bike because they're too lazy to walk. It might thwart real thieves from stealing your bike because they probably can't stop laughing when they see this lock :-)

90 grams according to my kitchen scale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Walk inside with the bike.

We look ridiculous enough in our kit, might as well keep up the look.

Try these tips:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUqESyVUxc

If all that doesn't suit you, I do this:

Take off front wheel, bring it with me.
"Lock" the bike with my helmet strap.

Without the front wheel, certain people are deterred.
With the helmet to slow things down, that might help.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

+1 for Abus Combiflex 202

Small and light to fit on backpocket Atleast need tool to break it. Mostly using it becouse in here insurance companys require to lock your bike somehow.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I never thought about it before this thread..... Spectra and Kevlar cord is very difficult to cut. You'd need some sort of decent tool to compromise it. By weight or thickness, it is stronger than steel.

A piece of this cord, tossed in your pocket or wrapped around your post would be pretty handy. Tie up the bike. It will probably do as much to deter than a cheap cable lock.

Although, if the bad guy has a lighter on him, he could get through the Spectra quicker than getting through a steel-cable lock.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBwn8b15wVI

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for all replies/ tips! I will buy a Abus Combiflex 201/202 (and I like the tip with the helmet straps)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This looks interesting. https://www.tigrlock.com

TonyM

by TonyM

That's a good one! [emoji3][emoji3] When your bike is being stolen you have to run after it with your cycling shoes [emoji51]

fordred

by fordred

TonyM wrote:

That's a good one! [emoji3][emoji3] When your bike is being stolen you have to run after it with your cycling shoes [emoji51]

I would think most thieves will dump the bike after hearing the alarm.

TonyM

by TonyM

fordred wrote:
TonyM wrote:

I would think most thieves will dump the bike after hearing the alarm.

Not sure...They may run away faster..with the nice and expensive bike...

gtv18

by gtv18

Just flick open the rear quick release.

If someone picks up the bike or tries to ride off on it, the rear wheel will fall out.

Don't forget to do it up again before you leave...

Nick W.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Someone grabbing the bike to throw it in a car/van will be unfazed by the rear tire dropping out.

Someone riding off on the bike might also have no problem getting away with the QR open.

Want an effective lock that weighs zero grams? Take off your front wheel, bring it with you. Take off your rear wheel, put it next to your frame.

Remove the quick-link on your chain. Chain up your bike with your chain, reinstalling the quick-connect.

Messy, but easily as effective as the cable locks that can be defeated with a small set of cutters.

The only thief it won't deter is the pro with tools and a car.

Yes, I realize this is a ridiculous option, but this is WW! :)

TonyM

by TonyM

The problem is more that at the gas station they are always many pick-up truck which can easily take the bike (even if the wheels are removed) in their cargo and just drive away [emoji37]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

Seriously, just walk in with it. I've never had an issue doing so for a quick bottle/Snickers stop.