Insoles, cycling shoes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spliid

by spliid

TheKaiser wrote:
spliid wrote:The issue being that my shoes are to small when putting the specialized in. My big toe is hitting the front. I really dont want to buy a new pair of shoes when I'm not sure if will help :oops:

If you are saying that your big toe is hitting the top of the toebox, due to the upward boost from a thicker insole, then you can simply trim the front portion of the insole off. The corrective action of the insole runs from the metatarsal heads (ball of the foot) backward, and the section under the toes is just foam, so you can simply trim the portion from the front edge of the ball of the foot forward. This will actually give your toes more room than with the stock Sidi insole provided, as they will run directly on the shoe midsole.

If you are saying that the insole is pushing your foot forward into the front of the toebox, so your big toe is hitting the front edge, then that would generally be caused by a differently shaped heelcup. Some insoles have a completely flat heel, and others are very cupped, such that they come up the back side of the shoe quite a bit, which can effectively shorten the internal heel to toe length of the shoe. In these cases, you can trim the "cup" portion that resides behind your heel, allowing your foot to sit back into the shoe slightly further, as it would without an insole, but preserving the arch corrections.

It's primarily the second issue. I actually considered switching to specialized but maybe I will start trimming the insole. Thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've used Specialized in the past, and they were fine.

But a couple years ago, I went with Riivo shoes and had custom insoles made for them. You can order just the insoles if you like. They cost about $100 but they are molded to your feet, and as they are made of carbon, they don't wear out much.

reknop

by reknop

perwjensen wrote:Very high quality would be Solestar insoles.

Also, Superfeet have worked well for me.

I went with Solestar Kontrol insoles as well.

While you need to adapt a little to the new feel, I'm really pleased with how stable the foot is in the shoe (no moving of the foot in the front of the shoe anymore).
Not cheap, but high quality ...

https://www.remo-knops.com/5692/solesta ... g-insoles/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

reknop

by reknop

reknop wrote:
perwjensen wrote:Very high quality would be Solestar insoles.

Also, Superfeet have worked well for me.

I went with Solestar Kontrol insoles as well.

While you need to adapt a little to the new feel, I'm really pleased with how stable the foot is in the shoe (no moving of the foot in the front of the shoe anymore).
Not cheap, but high quality ...

https://www.remo-knops.com/5692/solesta ... g-insoles/

For Black Friday Solestar had a Kontrol winter edition for 69,- (only difference was the absence of perforation in the toe-area. So my second pair of Solestars is o its way for my second pair of Sidi Wire SP shoes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

wisefool

by wisefool

I've been cycyling for years and I totally subscribe to the KISS model (Keep It Simple Silly).

There's no need to over analyse anything. If you are getting injured it's mostly one of two things - form and strength.

I'm no form exper and neither am I a strength expert. So I just read stuff an if it makes sense I run with it!

A lot of us cyclists have the following problems:

1. Metatarsalgia
2. Wide Feet
3. Morton's Neuroma
4. Bunions
5. Flat Feet and consequently Arch Pain

My thinking is this, while most of us do live on our bikes, many of us do not. We tend to spend a lot of out time off our bikes as well. And if we're not taking care of our feet when off our bikes then they most certainly aren't going to be healthy when we're on them!

KISS (Keep It Simple Silly)

If you have Metatarsalgia, check out the best shoes for metatarsal pain
If you have flat feet than read up about how to build your arches for flat feet

In fact just building up the arches of the feet (this means the intrinsic muscles of the feet), will help prevent most of our nagging injuries.

I've been doing these exercises for years and I have been (foot) injury free for a long time!

Hope this helps! :beerchug:

wilwil

by wilwil

TheKaiser wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:50 pm
KWalker wrote:I found the G8's horrible so did basically everyone I know. I don't know why Hogg loves them because the arches are fairly flexible and in the past he stated that he didn't like anything that had any give.
Same here on the flexibility issue, and I think they soften up and sag further with a little use. I'm currently running the high and medium inserts doubled up, to help counter this. If you dig those specialized ones, I may need to give those a shot for the next pair of shoes.
Sh*t Ive just bought a set at a crazy price after readinf Steve Hogg

MichaelB

by MichaelB

And I'm happy with my G8's !! Mind you, haven't tried anything else, and was in the process of looking to get a second set for my other shoes, so may look at some of the other options :thumbup:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Anyone tried the Lake carbon fibre heat mouldable insoles ?

These are the ones I'm talkinmg about https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lake/C ... soles/786A

legio999

by legio999

Hello friend, I have plantar fasciitis since I was 15 years old and I am currently 30. Since the new gel templates came out, I have not stopped changing all the models and brands. I have currently found Plantillas de Gel Ciclismo Regards

jlok

by jlok

MichaelB wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 am
Anyone tried the Lake carbon fibre heat mouldable insoles ?

These are the ones I'm talkinmg about https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lake/C ... soles/786A
I tried them and the carbon fiber layer are too thin and cracked...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MichaelB

by MichaelB

jlok wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:15 pm
I tried them and the carbon fiber layer are too thin and cracked...
Cheers - crossed off the list :thumbup:

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

@csorthofeet do you represent or have anything to do with the company?

It's your first post and you're endorsing a product...
Got my 'spidey sense' tingling
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc